• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ingerlund

Wow, Southgate is a muppet...

Cahill over Tarkowski is insane
Jones over Mee or Lascalles is insane
Delph over Cook is insane
Welbeck over Lallana is insane

Looks like the sponsors pulled ranks and made us take a token crap Chelsea/United/City/Arsenal player each

I think that it is easy to see why he has ended up with the squad he has. Most of the selection difference between his squad and your preferences can be explained by lack of fitness and players not having played enough/any international games before he had to select the squad.

It happens to all international managers but he has been unlucky with a couple of injuries and ran out of friendlies to try players.

I think that Lallana has missed out because of his fitness.

On Southgate's main criteria, Lallana wouldn't be considered. He is a favourite, though, and if he seems healthy and a vacancy occurs he will be in. Even if it is something like Trippier's injury being a factor, Lallana could be the replacement as there are plenty of wing-back options.

I don't see a problem here. Lallana is one of those "what does he do" players, but when he plays England tend to have better performances.

There is certainly enough cover for the wing back positions. I don't get what Delph is doing there. Is he there as a wing back or as a midfielder? Either way I don't get it.

Also when you have a squad of 23 players, which is quite a big squad for a tournament where you play a maximum of seven games, why not fill the squad with players with different qualities. You can afford to take a gamble on Adam Lallana who might not be fully fit, or even players like Jonjo Shelvey or Jack Wheelchair (who I don't like and think is overrated, but still has something a bit different to offer than the other midfielders in the squad). What the hell is Fabian Delph going to offer from the bench if you need something a bit different.

I'd even consider picking Andy Carroll for a squad like this. He's not a world class player, but he is world class in the air. You might be in a situation where you are desperate for a goal, but can't create chances the way you normally play. Throw him on, put a few crosses into the box and something might happen. He could be a game changer because he has outstanding qualities in one area of his game. I'd rather pick someone like him than just another decent allrounder.

Rose is lucky to be there on the basis of this season. I would have thought Bertrand was ahead of him now.

There is certainly enough cover for the wing back positions. I don't get what Delph is doing there. Is he there as a wing back or as a midfielder? Either way I don't get it.

Also when you have a squad of 23 players, which is quite a big squad for a tournament where you play a maximum of seven games, why not fill the squad with players with different qualities. You can afford to take a gamble on Adam Lallana who might not be fully fit, or even players like Jonjo Shelvey or Jack Wheelchair (who I don't like and think is overrated, but still has something a bit different to offer than the other midfielders in the squad). What the hell is Fabian Delph going to offer from the bench if you need something a bit different.

I'd even consider picking Andy Carroll for a squad like this. He's not a world class player, but he is world class in the air. You might be in a situation where you are desperate for a goal, but can't create chances the way you normally play. Throw him on, put a few crosses into the box and something might happen. He could be a game changer because he has outstanding qualities in one area of his game. I'd rather pick someone like him than just another decent allrounder.

Rose is lucky to be there on the basis of this season. I would have thought Bertrand was ahead of him now.

Rose wins on intensity alone!

But some good thoughts!

There is certainly enough cover for the wing back positions. I don't get what Delph is doing there. Is he there as a wing back or as a midfielder? Either way I don't get it. .

From what i have been told by a good mate of mind who is a ST holder at City he has been one of there most consistent players who can play both FB roles as well at in M.F. I think he has been taken because he can fill in both posistions if injurys happen.

Just read Southgate had misgivings about Shelvey has he has a lower pass completion rate than Henderson, Cook and Livermore.

Well yeh - of course - he tries things. He's not a sideways and backwards safety merchant.

Spot on, he along with Wheelchair are the only ones who look for the killer pass.

Just read Southgate had misgivings about Shelvey has he has a lower pass completion rate than Henderson, Cook and Livermore.

Well yeh - of course - he tries things. He's not a sideways and backwards safety merchant.

Yep I like Shelvey, would not actually mind him at spurs, sometimes you need someone who can break teams down.

Dier and Loftus-Cheek will be a good CM combination. It's fairly similar to Dier-Dembele, which has been the bedrock of our side for the past few seasons.

Henderson and Delph are though brainless cloggers, if we do have to go further down the barrel

dier cant pass either. hes good enough on the ball for a cb, but for a midfielder hes pants. without a 10 like eriksen i think we could be in for some turgid performances

nah hes just another charlie adam

I never thought of him like that, more he lashes out much like Dele has done but he is not nasty in nature, Adam walks onto a pitch and he wants to hurt people before the game has started, shelvey and dele just lash out when things dont go there way.

Back