• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I think the contract was nothing to do with it.

In his first few appearances back he looked not half the player he usually does. Clearly not ready yet.

At the same time, Sanchez was playing well. There was no need to rush him in.

And while on the matter, I think Sanchez gets a raw deal. There seems to be a growing narrative about him being error prone etc, which is, frankly, gonads IMHO.

Yes, he has made a few mistakes, but by and large I think he has been excellent this year and has deserved to hold his place in the team.

I agree. Wanyama is not involved in a contract dispute but has similarly failed to win his place back, due to poor form, after a long layoff.

I agree. Wanyama is not involved in a contract dispute but has similarly failed to win his place back, due to poor form, after a long layoff.

Wanyama is the one player that really worried me this season, he was so so bad at times this season.

Given the Dembele injury situation we need Wanyama back to his beast like best next season.

The one thing about this whole saga that REALLY boils my tinkle, is the ammunition it gives to Talklbrick. I love having it on the background, but all I keep hearing today is the possibility Poch could be off. Does my head in

It is annoying but Poch has caused this by opening his mouth in public. The media are just doing their job. He says nothing or unequivocally states that he’ll be here next year then there is no story. He’s failed to do that repeatedly.

One other point. Levy doesn’t like his managers talking in public like this. Gooner George and Harry found that out. I know there were other circumstances around those two but talking about club business in public like this doesn’t appear to be something Levy tolerates very well.

It is annoying but Poch has caused this by opening his mouth in public. The media are just doing their job. He says nothing or unequivocally states that he’ll be here next year then there is no story. He’s failed to do that repeatedly.

One other point. Levy doesn’t like his managers talking in public like this. Gooner George and Harry found that out. I know there were other circumstances around those two but talking about club business in public like this doesn’t appear to be something Levy tolerates very well.

Top post!

Where would that money come from? City just bought the title with a squad that cost £0.5Bn more than ours.

Even if Levy could somehow find £0.5Bn to catch up (he can't) then what's to stop City just going out and spending £1Bn?

It's not about finding half a billion to spend and catch up. We don't need to spend anywhere near that. Last season we got 86 points, this season 77 points despite playing 38 games away from home. We finished above Chelski, only 5 points behind Utd.We are competing right now with the financially doped clubs. :confused:

City won't perform like this every season. They've had all this money for nearly 10 years but now many titles have they won in that time?

He has earned the right to make it public. It's just a nudge to Levy to see if he wants to take the next step or stay as we are.

He has earned the right to make it public. It's just a nudge to Levy to see if he wants to take the next step or stay as we are.

He hasn’t really in my opinion. That’s like saying Rose had earned the right to make the wage conversation public. These things should be kept behind closed doors particularly with Levys track record on this sort of thing.

If Levy and Poch were as tight as we think, why not address it in private? This also isn’t Poch just letting stuff out and talking too much like he said in the interview - there’s an agenda behind it because he’s a very clever man.

I’m one of his biggest fans, he has done a spectacularly great job for us but I don’t think his public comments since United have been a good thing.

He hasn’t really in my opinion. That’s like saying Rose had earned the right to make the wage conversation public. These things should be kept behind closed doors particularly with Levys track record on this sort of thing.

If Levy and Poch were as tight as we think, why not address it in private? This also isn’t Poch just letting stuff out and talking too much like he said in the interview - there’s an agenda behind it because he’s a very clever man.

I’m one of his biggest fans, he has done a spectacularly great job for us but I don’t think his public comments since United have been a good thing.

It's really no big deal. Poch is not stupid, and most of all he is not reckless. What he said was he wanted to talk to Levy about what the next step is and how they go about achieving it. Like has already been said he s not the type to put the club at risk by making outrageous demands. He is a conservative bloke who has the clubs best interests at heart and simply wants to improve things

It's really no big deal. Poch is not stupid, and most of all he is not reckless. What he said was he wanted to talk to Levy about what the next step is and how they go about achieving it. Like has already been said he s not the type to put the club at risk by making outrageous demands. He is a conservative bloke who has the clubs best interests at heart and simply wants to improve things

I agree, there is no way he'll make outrageous demands. We'll never compete with United or City and there is no way Poch would expect that we can. He's likely looking for us to compete with Arsenal, Liverpool and even Chelsea now that Roman can no longer buy success like he could in years gone by. If we don't, Poch's magic will only last for so long and he knows it. The question is if Levy things that's realistic.

I agree, there is no way he'll make outrageous demands. We'll never compete with United or City and there is no way Poch would expect that we can. He's likely looking for us to compete with Arsenal, Liverpool and even Chelsea now that Roman can no longer buy success like he could in years gone by. If we don't, Poch's magic will only last for so long and he knows it. The question is if Levy things that's realistic.

Managing expectations upstream and down

He has set the scene now for Levy to react too and he knows what he can and can’t get away with

Managing expectations upstream and down

He has set the scene now for Levy to react too and he knows what he can and can’t get away with

I think there are two strands to this. Does Levy think what Poch is asking for is realistic? Does Levy think that it's okay for Poch to air it in this way?

I hope you're right but none of us know how Levy will take this coz the bugger never says anything in public.

I think there are two strands to this. Does Levy think what Poch is asking for is realistic? Does Levy think that it's okay for Poch to air it in this way?

I hope you're right but none of us know how Levy will take this coz the bugger never says anything in public.

He leaves the public speaking to the public faces which is Poch and the players

Agree Levy likes things private, but watch/read the whole interview and a few things pop out for me

- Poch was responding to a question re our plans for summer
- He was very quick to re-enforce the club has ambition to win, regardless of his plan/ideas

Levy is not a child that will throw a hissy fit, previous fallouts with managers (who to some extent he never 100% trusted came after multiple issues), we know (as much as we can ever) that he trusts Poch. Levy has looked for a "Poch" manager since his first day here, he knows what he has (and doesn't really make the same mistakes over and over).

Look, Spurs wages have to raise at some point, we have to buy the odd established player at some point, I think Levy has always being trying to avoid doing what Everton/West Ham have done which is splash out without best system in place to ensure success and line of sight to revenue to support new model. It's a classic invest/return game, how late can you delay the investment to minimize your risk/exposure.

We are now a top 6 side, Europe every year, line of sight to competitive revenue, good foundation in place. The club, needs to decide if it wants to match Pool/Scum in wages/buys (we can't compete with the others financially), so does Levy want to up the top wages to ~200K/w & be willing to buy 75M players? because that's what it takes to compete vs. overachieve constantly.

From Matt Law in the Telegraph :

Exclusive (GL - not so much, really): Mauricio Pochettino wants £150m Tottenham squad overhaul including several new signings and departures

Mauricio Pochettino will ask chairman Daniel Levy and owner Joe Lewis to sanction a £150million overhaul of his Tottenham Hotspur squad this summer.
Pochettino wants to know he will be given the funds to bring in the players he wants and the freedom to sell those he feels he can replace, as he tries to transform Spurs into winners.
He also wants to be confident his star men will be offered contracts, ideally ahead of the World Cup, before recommitting his own long-term future to Spurs.

Levy is keen for Pochettino to sign a new contract worth up to £8.5million-a-year, but the Argentine wants promises over the direction he can take the club before signing.

Up until now Pochettino has largely played by Levy’s rules and accepted the club cannot afford to compete with their top-four rivals.
But having clinched qualification to the Champions League, he wants to take the next step with Tottenham and try to turn his squad into one that can win silverware.
Key to that plan is keeping Harry Kane, Dele Alli, Christian Eriksen, Jan Vertonghen, Eric Dier and Hugo Lloris, who are all expected to be offered new contracts this summer.

But Pochettino also wants bigger funds to invest in his squad and the go-ahead to sell anybody he believes he can replace. Toby Alderweireld, Danny Rose and Mousa Dembele could all go, leaving Tottenham with big holes to fill, while there are question marks over the futures of Victor Wanyama, Fernando Llorente and Moussa Sissoko.

Pochettino is a big fan of Crystal Palace forward Wilfried Zaha, who he knows would cost upwards of £50m, while Tottenham are currently at the front of the queue of clubs chasing Ryan Sessegnon, who Fulham value at £50m.
Anthony Martial has been on Pochettino’s radar for some time and Spurs have been tracking midfielder Bryan Cristante, who has been on loan at Atlanta, and Real Madrid’s Mateo Kovacic.
With Alderweireld expected to depart, Pochettino wants a new central defender and would like Tottenham to rival the likes of Barcelona for Ajax’s 18-year-old Matthijs de Ligt. Saudi Sportswashing Machine captain Jamaal Lascelles is seen as another option.

Landing Pochettino’s targets this summer would require Levy to break Tottenham’s transfer record, which stands at £42m for Davinson Sanchez, several times over.
Pochettino is due to meet Levy this week and Tottenham’s billionaire owner Lewis could also be part of the talks aimed at pushing the club into the next phase of his project ahead of the move into the new stadium.
Whether or not Lewis is willing to bankroll Pochettino’s plan in the same summer Tottenham move into a new £850m stadium remains to be seen.
But Pochettino wants decisive action and does not want to club to drag its heels into the final weeks and days of the transfer window, which has cost Spurs points in the past.

Levy waited until he had sold Kyle Walker for £50m to Emirates Marketing Project before doing any business last summer, but Pochettino does not want to be forced to wait for sales to go through this time around.
He is also fearful that some of Europe’s biggest clubs will attempt to unsettle his stars if new contracts are not agreed before they jet off for the World Cup with their respective countries.

Pochettino is well aware that there are a host of clubs, at home and abroad, that would jump at the chance to offer him a job if he does not get what he wants at Tottenham.
Real Madrid, Chelsea, Juventus and Bayern Munich are all admirers of Pochettino’s work.

Speaking after the thrilling final-day victory over Leicester City, Pochettino said: “We need to talk a lot between us and the club. I think I have a very clear idea what we need to do; I don’t know if the club will be agreeing with me or not.
“But we are going to talk to create the new project, or what I think what we need to do, together again, to try to improve.
“That is a little bit up to Daniel (Levy) of course, to the club, to be happy with us, because after four years I think we need to assess that period. If we want to play and be real contenders for big, big trophies, yes, we need to review a little.

“First of all I need to speak with Daniel, then we will know what we are going to do. Until today it was so difficult to talk about the future. I think Daniel is going to listen to me. But you know me and sometimes I have some crazy ideas.
“But you need to be brave. In this type of situation, with a club with our unbelievable fans, being brave is the most important, and to take risks.
“I think it’s a moment the club needs to take risks and if possible work harder than the previous season to be competitive again.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...ants-150m-tottenham-squad-overhaul-including/

The key sentence in all the above (imo) is this one :
Levy is keen for Pochettino to sign a new contract worth up to £8.5million-a-year, but the Argentine wants promises over the direction he can take the club before signing.

Agree Levy likes things private, but watch/read the whole interview and a few things pop out for me

- Poch was responding to a question re our plans for summer
- He was very quick to re-enforce the club has ambition to win, regardless of his plan/ideas

Levy is not a child that will throw a hissy fit, previous fallouts with managers (who to some extent he never 400% trusted came after multiple issues), we know (as much as we can ever) that he trusts Poch. Levy has looked for a "Poch" manager since his first day here, he knows what he has (and doesn't really make the same mistakes over and over).

Look, Spurs wages have to raise at some point, we have to buy the odd established player at some point, I think Levy has always being trying to avoid doing what Everton/West Ham have done which is splash out without best system in place to ensure success and line of sight to revenue to support new model. It's a classic invest/return game, how late can you delay the investment to minimize your risk/exposure.

We are now a top 6 side, Europe every year, line of sight to competitive revenue, good foundation in place. The club, needs to decide if it wants to match Pool/Scum in wages/buys (we can't compete with the others financially), so does Levy want to up the top wages to ~200K/w & be willing to buy 75M players? because that's what it takes to compete vs. overachieve constantly.

Good post. If the story in the post below yours is true, I think Poch is being very reasonable and what he’s asking for should be doable. We have to stop the Sissoko, Njie type signings.

Evening Standard are saying that Poch will press Levy to sell TA, Rose and Dembele asap so that he has time to sign replacements.

Going to be a lot of speculation on this and Poch's future until the transfer activity starts and proves it one way or another

I think there is considerable flexibility for contracts. Our wage bill is only 41% of turnover, partly or largely because wages have lagged behind the large increase in turnover last year. An increase of the share by 10% would still leave us among the prudent clubs and 15% would put as at about the same level as City and Liverpool. That's almost £50m extra without going mad.

DaU1-jLW0AAqios.jpg:small

Back