• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Best Homegrown XI

----------------------------Walker-------------------------------
Perryman----------King----------Campbell---------Hughton
Hazard----------Hoddle--------Souness-----------Townsend
---------------------------Barmby-------------------------------
----------------------------Kane---------------------------------

Subs: Daines, Bowen, Naylor, Samways, Howells, +2 more??!

Not a bad side, would make Europa league.

----------------------------Walker-------------------------------
Perryman----------King----------Campbell---------Hughton
Hazard----------Hoddle--------Souness-----------Townsend
---------------------------Barmby-------------------------------
----------------------------Kane---------------------------------

Subs: Daines, Bowen, Naylor, Samways, Howells, +2 more??!

Not a bad side, would make Europa league.
Mason and Winks for the two spots on the bench?

I drop Walker. He was not that good. Ill thrown in:

Barry Daines. For those that dont remember him he was our keep before Clemence came. He was better than Walker.

For me the LB berth is between Ron Henry and Danny Rose. Two very different players performing two very roles. In the 1960s full-backs were basically that and nothing more. Their job was primarily to break down attacks then either get the ball to someone who could take it forward or failing that boot it into safety.

Ron was Mr Dependable in that regard. He was not especially fast but his astute anticipation, positioning, strength and sense of timing meant he hardly ever needed to be. We're talking more than half a century ago of course so memories have faded but I still clearly recall that strong feeling I felt every time he was confronted by a tricky winger that he would somehow come away with the ball before calmly passing it out of defence to the likes of Dave Mackay or Terry Dyson. It really is no exaggeration to say he was as solid as a rock, utterly impenetrable. In all the years I have been following Tottenham I have never quite had that same feeling with any other LB.

Not, that is until Danny Rose established himself as our regular LWB about three seasons ago. I believe it's fair to say that up until his injury last Spring Danny was the one player to rival Ron for his ability to get the better of even the trickiest of opponents.

Rose's style is very different of course. Whereas Ron was clinical and efficient, Danny relies on his speed, physicality and ability to get close and impose himself on his opponent in order to dispossess him. The downside for Rose is that because he is also expected to get forward he can on occasion be caught out of position. Also Danny has at times been susceptible to the occasional rash challenge, something he did manage to suppress pretty well for a while but since coming back from injury has become more prone to once again.

Where the two differ so markedly of course is in the opponents half of the field, and in that respect it's clear that Rose wins hands down.

So the verdict is quite straightforward: If you are looking for a left FB it has to be Ron Henry, but if we need a LWB then an in-form Danny Rose is your man.

Last edited:
My memory is hazy, but I'm not sure he was. I think Walker got a bad rep because he smiled when he conceded a goal!
No you're memory's not lying. Barry Daines was imo one of our worst ever keepers. It could be argued that his misfortune was to follow the great Pat Jennings but the difference in class was just embarrassing. Handling was poor, couldn't catch crosses, prone to error, how it was possible for Burkinshaw to prefer him to the gentle giant was unfathomable.

Ian Walker may not have been in the same class as Pat either but until that unfortunate England game against Italy when his failure to stop a fierce shot from Zola that snuck inside his near post shattered his confidence he was at least half-decent and certainly several notches above the dreadful Daines.

On fullbacks, Ray Evans is another option at RB and Mel Hopkins at LB. I think Perryman and Hughton is the best pair, with King and Campbell at CB.

Looking back at some older names, Arthur Rowe's team had a lot of players who were home-grown or first played professionally for us: Bill Nicholson, Ron Burgess, Eddy Baily, Les Medley, Les Bennett, Ted Ditchburn, Sid Tickridge, Harry Clarke, Tony Marchi, Tommy Harmer, Mel Hopkins, George Robb, Charlie Withers

I don't know much about most of those players but they all played 100 plus games, with most playing considerably more.

Last edited:
Back