• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

When we sacked him, as bad taste as it was, I think Jol had pretty well reached his limit all the same and so it was probably due.

And since leaving he has hardly gone on to, well, do anything even close to that level again, has he?
Jol reminds me of Dawson:
Was part of the group that started our upward trajectory
Gave their all and gave great service to the club
Not quite good enough to take us to the next level
Not done any better since leaving
Two of the most likeable recent players / managers and hope to see them back at the new WHL one half time in the future.

Don't forget Sherwood

He was a caretaker and welcome relief from AVB. In his book, Poch says Levy approached him the season before he joined but he did not want to leave half way through a season. Sherwood, massive cnut yes but a welcome relief from a man who ended up hiding under his desk. Also though Kane had played a little bit before I doubt if we had not had Sherwood Kane would have been given the chance to shine.

Though it is Poch and his man management that has turned Kane into a scoring machine.

When we sacked him, as bad taste as it was, I think Jol had pretty well reached his limit all the same and so it was probably due.

And since leaving he has hardly gone on to, well, do anything even close to that level again, has he?

"Since his leaving", I've struggled to surpass the level of enjoyment supporting Spurs that I had under his management. Admittedly Poch has got there or there abouts with a bit more promise of success, but when Jol was in charge I couldn't have cared less if we won anything. It was just nice being part of a club where everyone was pulling together. Made me understand where a Brentford/Orient supporter comes from rather than trying to be a manu/liverpool etc. glory hunter. It's a foootball "CLUB" I support not a fvcking share issue!

Last edited:
Yet timmeh managed it quite easily.
I think Sherwood left us 1 place higher in the league than when he took over after AVB realized that he had been found out and bottled it. To be fair though it wasn’t even the position in the table that turned me against AVB, it was the mind numbingly awful boring football. It had got to the point where I found myself trying to give my season ticket away instead of going to the games. I thought it was quite telling that I often couldn’t even find a taker for the ticket.

The stadium hasn't been financed by them has it? I thought Its loans on the club, which will be paid for from additional revenue from supporters.

I am not criticising them as they are doing wonders but stand by the response, also you can leverage increased value of your capital without selling it.

Well they own the club, so any debt is theirs. They injected capital into the club via preference share issue if I remember correctly. I see no difference if the loan is taken by the club or by them directly; it's the same either way as they are still taking the risk.

With regards to leveraging the increased value, exactly how do you envisage this happening? The only money that is taken out of the club is Levy's salary and the sporadic dividends that are paid. That is all. The rest of the money stays in the club. They have not borrowed any money against the club's increased value (that we know of) so I am at a loss to see how they have leveraged the increased value of their capital without selling it. The accounts don't lie and what they absolutely haven't done is taken an immediate payback like the Glazers or the Liverpool owners by dumping a whole load of debt on the club, that the club needs to pay back. They pumped their money into the club by first buying a controlling stake, they pumped more by buying the rest, then there was the refinancing and then further preference shares.

So...pay rise for Levy ok or not?

Of course it is, under his tenure in last 3 years

Off pitch - Training ground finished, stadium construction under way, NFL deal, Wembley as temporary home, club revenue jumped by almost 50% in a single year, club valuation continues to rise, we continue to close gap on Scum/Pool/Chelsea revenue wise, while putting distance between ourselves and rest of teams in PL. He continues to be low profile and PR/image around club is generally very positive.
On pitch - Current manager and team are best in last 2+ decades, 3 CL appearances with 4th one seemingly on track, player purchases/sales continue to be smart, club has had it's most consistent run of league results in it's history.

Hard to come up with a single legitimate argument against it.

So...pay rise for Levy ok or not?

Same as @Raziel, I don't find a single good argument against it. He's doing a terrific job of running the club in every aspect thinkable. Can you think of any owner anywhere that runs a club as well as Levy? I can't. I'm becoming so much of a fanboy I think we should make him a song, but I realize that might be a stretch for some. :p

Same as @Raziel, I don't find a single good argument against it. He's doing a terrific job of running the club in every aspect thinkable. Can you think of any owner anywhere that runs a club as well as Levy? I can't. I'm becoming so much of a fanboy I think we should make him a song, but I realize that might be a stretch for some. :p

Quite a few have mentioned we should have a song for him at the first game in new WHL.

It's crazy to think not so long ago we were all excited as brick with BMJ just to get to Europa league for first time in decades, no training ground, stadium seemed like a pipe dream as did ever actually challenging for PL or going head to head with teams like Madrid ...

It's been a long, slow, mostly steady line of progression, under Levy.

He's done wonders for us. I often fantasise about a spontaneous song for Daniel when we clinch the league title.....

I'll get my coat.....

Completely agree - it was a very puzzling state of affairs!

I almost agree with you in that it is puzzling Levy seemed to give so much repsect to Sherwood at one point in the club but when Sherwood got his opportunity, Levy pretty quickly figured him out.

I think what happened was this: We sign AVB who promises to implement a system that can make us greater than the sum of our parts and compete with the financial elite, and to operate as a Head Coach that will utilise the new training ground and academy to his maximum. Then as soon as his feet are under the table he asks for Hulk, Moutinho, Willian and a host of other big players who we ultimately can't compete with. Sherwood, being a political operator, sees this and uses this to get the ear of Levy. To be fair to Sherwood, his ideas around utilising our youth as a way to compete with the elite, with the belief that they are good enough, was not a bad one. And it's probably for that reason alone that Levy gave him a shot. That he was found wanting tactically, found wanting when trying to hold the respect of the squad, particulalry the senior players, and found wanting in the biggest games, meant he was pretty quickly out on his ear. But that whole point around Sherwood believing in youth, I can see why Levy bought in to that for a time. Thankfully with Poch, he found someone that believed in youth but also is on a completely different stratosphere in every other aspect of football management.

Anyone reckon there's any legs in the 'players and advisors have noted their surprise as Levy's pay' stories today? Any chance it can impact the team spirit, the belief in the mission etc? Any chance it's fair enough that the players be a bit annoyed that they are told they can't earn the best wages in the league while the Chairman gets paid as top Chairman?

Obviously I totally hope not, and I reckon the squad really totally get it, and that if required the backdated nature of it will have been explained, I just wonder if there's any Rose-esque dimwits in the squad that want to make a point of their lack of understanding about business and let their agent ruin their career here for them.

Anyone reckon there's any legs in the 'players and advisors have noted their surprise as Levy's pay' stories today? Any chance it can impact the team spirit, the belief in the mission etc? Any chance it's fair enough that the players be a bit annoyed that they are told they can't earn the best wages in the league while the Chairman gets paid as top Chairman?

Obviously I totally hope not, and I reckon the squad really totally get it, and that if required the backdated nature of it will have been explained, I just wonder if there's any Rose-esque dimwits in the squad that want to make a point of their lack of understanding about business and let their agent ruin their career here for them.

Nope, he probably has performance based bonuses just the same as them
- They want more money, finish in a CL spot again, win FA cup, etc.
- He has to deliver stadium, increase club income, secure sponsorship deals, etc = he does/has.

I'm sure the club would be happy to pay Toby the equivalent of $180K/week if we won the league and he played a qualifying amount of games (i.e. base +performance bonus = $180K), the question simply is what is that mix of base to performance. And personally I want the guy who is ok with it being more performance related, way too many clubs have shown the disaster of high base salaries with no incentive.

Nope, he probably has performance based bonuses just the same as them
- They want more money, finish in a CL spot again, win FA cup, etc.
- He has to deliver stadium, increase club income, secure sponsorship deals, etc = he does/has.

I'm sure the club would be happy to pay Toby the equivalent of $180K/week if we won the league and he played a qualifying amount of games (i.e. base +performance bonus = $180K), the question simply is what is that mix of base to performance. And personally I want the guy who is ok with it being more performance related, way too many clubs have shown the disaster of high base salaries with no incentive.
That is all very logical but we all know it doesn't always work like that. More like, holy brick, he's rewarding himself with big bucks but obviously thinks I'm not worth it. Well I know I am so why hang around when others will be only too happy to cough up?

I think it's human nature to think that way and of course the players will draw comparisons with the increases on offer to them. And if their agents didn't try to use it as leverage they wouldn't be doing their jobs. I don't see it as scuppering the mission as you put it, but it will likely lead to more protracted negotiations this summer than might otherwise have been the case.

Back