• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

A mistake for him today pressing up to almost their penalty box and didn't win the ball which led to their goal. First mistake I can recall of him in a while.

A mistake for him today pressing up to almost their penalty box and didn't win the ball which led to their goal. First mistake I can recall of him in a while.

He was a little 'off' for about 20mins.
Then he started to think, before that he was trying to win the game single handedly.
The team were meh in the first 20 minutes.

I think considering the carnage that went on around him he was excellent today.

He wasn't that good by the high standards he has set this season, but he got himself together in the end. I liked in the 2nd half how he just decided to clear his lines a couple of times in a row, as if to set an example to the rest of the defence "we are not phucking about and conceding again in this game."

I think considering the carnage that went on around him he was excellent today.

i would agree with that, our game was off ( especially in defense) for much of the first half and ( imo) we were lucky to escape on a couple of occasions. I know we won easily in the end but ( imo) the score line flattered us.

Fantastic commitment to the cause, exactly what we all want and need to hear:

“I hope everyone feels [that this is a key period for the club] the way I feel it,” he says. “This team can reach a lot, and it’s always nicer to have achieved this with a group of players who have been together for a lot of time and come through the ranks, or have lived in London a long time. To achieve this with this group of colleagues and friends – that’s a better feeling than just going somewhere and winning a trophy.

"It will give us a lot if we win something with this group. I can’t speak for other players but I believe that they believe we will get that here, that trophy, and they will stay here.”

It applies to Pochettino as well – “That’s what we all hope. He’s part of the project.”

Thanks for posting @NoLimits01.

Isn't that what we want from our players? Gegenpressing in a nutshell. The players close to the action try to win the ball back quickly by pressing. Up to others to cover the space they're leaving behind. He's a fantastic ball playing centre half and we want him to carry the ball into the opponent's half at times. Can't do those things without risk.

His foul that wasn't given against Juventus was a clearer error for me. But I thought he did very well against Bournemouth. For the goal Sanchez and Wanyama left Aurier marking two players at the back post and Aurier then missed his header. After Rose got roasted on the wing. I don't think that can be blamed on Vertonghen. Of or defenders he was arguably the only one who did his job very well in that situation.

unbelievably good. Hope he commits his future to us

Agreed! Otherwise out of our out-and-out CBs, we'll only have Sanchez and Foyth around after summer 2019!! Will be interesting to see what Poch does in that area over the next year or so

Back