• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I think this debate is going to get bogged down in pendantry soon, if it hasn't already, however id like to question that logic above as to me what you're describing there is winning experience rather than mentality and i think there's a distinct difference between the two - i think there must be plenty of players out there that have the same mentality to win that the worlds best players also possess but are just held back because of a ceiling on their actual sporting ability - conversely on the other side you have players who are part of successful sides but perhaps coast by on ability alone and don't show the same mentality that the 'lesser' players do.
Yep, I think this is one of those debates that will never get agreement on because interpretation is down to the individual as to it’s meaning. Obviously our mentality is so much better than what it was pre Poch but for me ‘winners’ win things and that is why for me until we make those final steps that we are on the cusp of I wouldn’t say we truly have that ‘winning mentality’....

No one said a trophy alone equates to a winning mentality. But ultimately you need to actually win something to back it up surely otherwise why on earth would the word ‘win’ be in there? This team is developing far more of the mentioned mentality than the team that won the League cup ever did. We are doing it the right way by gradually getting there - but the end game is to win things otherwise you can’t have any serious claims to having a winning mentality, I would have thought that much is obvious....

A “winning mentality” is either bought via experience or developed via a guide/manager who a club buys into. Four years ago, we struggled to win any big games. We struggled to consistently win games. Yeah, Harry did OK but he had two of the greatest players in the world and basically told them to run the show. He did not really work in mentality, self-expectation, the necessary details in aptitude that ensure you follow big CL games by winning your next at (say) Bournemouth. Pochettino has changed the mentality around the club. Fact. And Pochettino is cultivating the final steps necessary for a winning mentality at our club. If that means the odd talented player who requires more money than on offer must go because they cannot put their daily job first? Great. Off they go. But how anyone can question the progression and growth of this “winning mentality” remains baffling.

What it looks like to me is that we are all arguing about when that “policy” matures into producing results. I would be quite happy to wait until next season providing we achieve top 4 this. The cup would be great.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

A “winning mentality” is either bought via experience or developed via a guide/manager who a club buys into. Four years ago, we struggled to win any big games. We struggled to consistently win games. Yeah, Harry did OK but he had two of the greatest players in the world and basically told them to run the show. He did not really work in mentality, self-expectation, the necessary details in aptitude that ensure you follow big CL games by winning your next at (say) Bournemouth. Pochettino has changed the mentality around the club. Fact. And Pochettino is cultivating the final steps necessary for a winning mentality at our club. If that means the odd talented player who requires more money than on offer must go because they cannot put their daily job first? Great. Off they go. But how anyone can question the progression and growth of this “winning mentality” remains baffling.

What it looks like to me is that we are all arguing about when that “policy” matures into producing results. I would be quite happy to wait until next season providing we achieve top 4 this. The cup would be great.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
Your post makes it sound like you’re arguing against me but you’re pretty much just expanding on what I’m saying. Poch has changed the mentality of this club and yes Poch is implementing the final steps for a winning mentality. Couldn’t of put your post any better....

Funny thing is, all these rivals that are supposed to have this amazing winning mentality have generally finished up as also rans WAY more often than they've succeeded in winning trophies.

For example, over the past five seasons, each has competed for up to 20 trophies apiece: CL and/or Uefa Cup, PL, FA Cup & League Cup. Here's how many times they've been successful.

Arsenal 3 trophies won out of 20 competitions entered
Chelsea 4 out of 19
Liverpool 0 out of 19
Man C 4 out of 20
Man U 4 out of 20

So basically even our most successful rivals fail upwards of four times more often than they succeed. What sort of winning mentality is that? :eek: :D

Funny thing is, all these rivals that are supposed to have this amazing winning mentality have generally finished up as also rans WAY more often than they've succeeded in winning trophies.

For example, over the past five seasons, each of these clubs has competed for up to 20 trophies apiece: CL and/or Uefa Cup, PL, FA Cup & League Cup. Here's how many times they've been successful.

Chelsea 4 out of 19
Liverpool 0 out of 19
Man C 4 out of 20
Man U 4 out of 20

So basically even our most successful rivals fail upwards of four times more often than they succeed. What sort of winning mentality is that? :eek: :D

You've ignored the Emirates Cup.

For example, over the past five seasons, each has competed for up to 20 trophies apiece: CL and/or Uefa Cup, PL, FA Cup & League Cup. Here's how many times they've been successful.

Chelsea 4 out of 19
Liverpool 0 out of 19
Man C 4 out of 20
Man U 4 out of 20

So about a 20% win rate (liverpool excluded). I'd settle for that to be honest.

With respect to Poch, there's literally no point to those comments. Has anyone ever said that the team who won the fa Cup or league Cup are better than the league winners? Or that they're harder to win?
You do realize his comments are not unsolicited ones? He doesn't come out and say "I don't care about the domestic cups" out of the blue. I bet if someone just asked him a straightforward question like "would you like to win a FA or League Cup?" the answer would be "yes, of course." But they never ask him that. It's always phrased in such a way that the answer he gives requires him to compare the cups with other competitions. So let's cut him some slack.

The bolded bit is fair enough mate.

I think the Arsenal thing is a mixture of different factors. Firstly, a difference in expectations between the clubs. Secondly, one has been getting worse, while the other has been getting better. And secondly, the impact of the new stadium, with Arsenal fans being told that it would allow them to compete with the truly elite clubs (which in fairness, it probably should have), when in fact it the opposite has happened. Because, let's be honest, if in the past 4 years, Poch had won 3 FA cups and finished 4th, 3rd, 2nd and 5th, we'd probably be talking about one of the most successful periods in our recent history.

And oh yeah, I'm not at all saying that winning an FA cup will make us automatically propel us to CL glory. I just do think that it will help with our winning mentality in the tightest games. The knowledge, even if its in the back of their heads, that they can do it. And also cos I want to see this team win some trophies. They deserve it.
What will help with our winning mentality are this year's group stage games and the tie against Juve, where we should have come out on top, not eliminating Rochdale, Newport, and Wimbledon.

Your post makes it sound like you’re arguing against me but you’re pretty much just expanding on what I’m saying. Poch has changed the mentality of this club and yes Poch is implementing the final steps for a winning mentality. Couldn’t of put your post any better....

In fairness, it is a point I have been making for many, many, MANY months. Still, let us not quibble about whether I am merely expanding on what you said or reinforcing a point I had made many, many, many times...that we are IN AGREEMENT is the MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THIS. ;)

What will help with our winning mentality are this year's group stage games and the tie against Juve, where we should have come out on top, not eliminating Rochdale, Newport, and Wimbledon.

Agreed.

I believe that what we (and I include myself) learned from the Juve match is immeasurable. One thing our supporters will have to accept, is that at that level against that type of opponent and facing those sorts of tactics, we will have to match. We will have to leave studs in. We will have to dive several times to get anything. We will have to play-act, we will have to make sure members of our board are on hand in the tunnel and other touchstone areas around the stadium to offset any potential intimidation of officials. We have the skill to win things, we now just need the nasty edge. Will anyone complain if Dele takes a swan over Jones' leg to get the winning penalty in the SF? Yes. They will. Will anyone complain if Dier goes through Sanchez late and forces him off the pitch whilst only earning a booking? Someone will. Will the world complain if we win a SF with a couple of incidents like this? Of course they will! We saw what happened post-Anfield with borderline decisions, so imagine what would happen with clear-cut ones. Most importantly...will our supporters be able to take the criticism? Allllll part of the "winning mentality" we hear about. Personally? I hope Poch meets that side of it only halfway at best.

Chelsea 4 out of 19
Liverpool 0 out of 19
Man C 4 out of 20
Man U 4 out of 20

But, but, they've won stuff. Surely that means they'll win everything in perpetuity?

The 2008 team went on to totally tank the rest of that season. Losing every big game possible. Then started the next season in relegation form (2 points from 8 games, ‘arry). They’re mentality and attitude stank (King Ledders exempt). If that’s what a winning mentality is then I want no part of. Give me this team all day everyday.
No one said a trophy alone equates to a winning mentality. But ultimately you need to actually win something to back it up surely otherwise why on earth would the word ‘win’ be in there? This team is developing far more of the mentioned mentality than the team that won the League cup ever did. We are doing it the right way by gradually getting there - but the end game is to win things otherwise you can’t have any serious claims to having a winning mentality, I would have thought that much is obvious....

Ok that was a fairly easy one tbh. How about this...Us or the current Arsenal team?

The 2008 team went on to totally tank the rest of that season. Losing every big game possible. Then started the next season in relegation form (2 points from 8 games, ‘arry). They’re mentality and attitude stank (King Ledders exempt). If that’s what a winning mentality is then I want no part of. Give me this team all day everyday.

Ok that was a fairly easy one tbh. How about this...Us or the current Arsenal team?
Questions are like this are pointless because it all depends on what we end up doing. Arsenal by the end of the season should have won the Europa League, and have won a few FA Cups in recent seasons. We are improving our mentality and the odds are we will begin to win things. But if say in three-four years we still havent, and all we have to show for it is a few seasons of top 4 then Im afraid you would have to say Arsenal have had demonstrated more of a winning mentality because the end game is to win things and remember they would have achieved this during what is a poor period for them, which suggests their 'winner mentality' hasnt completely vanished since their golden era....

Back