• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

44DCF0F800000578-4935204-image-m-179_1506723863990.jpg
Too soon.

If we are to trace the steps backwards in this saga it does reveal that Toby signing a new deal was most likely a longish shot from the position of the club.

Negotiation, of some sort, have been going on for a while.

Come last summer no-one really had the purchase of a CH as a priority. The club bought 2.
1 of whom we chased and were willing to break Ajax's resolve to the tune of (upto) £42M. That for a talented but raw 20year old who'd played 32 games for Ajax.

That in the context of us is a massive commitment (almost out of character). It would imply that he was a 'Top of the WANTED list' player. Foyth was added as well.

Also, nearly no-one (regardless of his fee) expected Sanchez to be dropped straight into a back 3. Poch rarely asks anyone to hit the ground running. BUT with Sanchez he did.

This 'behaviour' i would suggest was driven by the club knowing that in the negotiations with Toby, they were miles apart. A plan 'sans Toby' was activated asap.

They would have still been hopeful of him staying BUT it really feels as though zero progress has been made and since his injury problems maybe that has even cooled the clubs interest in keeping him here.

It feels a risk, as both Sanchez and Foyth lack experience, and if Toby's injury is ok, he'd be back to his best with a run of games (cant believe how some think he's 'not what he was')...

But at the end of the day i trust Poch

I have to admit, I’m not too up on either Rose, or Toby’s fitness, I appreciate that Rose has played games, and is therefore ahead of Toby (i didn’t Google that).
But right now, I wouldn’t drop Ben Davies for Rose, I think he has improved so so much.
Sanchez, despite scaring me a few times, has shown some raw potential. I love the fact that despite 2 “potentia” rebels, we are doing very well,m without them,and the guys who would normally be second to them are playing so well.

If your right @ricky2tricky4city thrn that’s outstanding planning from the club and exactly what we need to do more and more of

Succession planning is something so many clubs get wrong and then wonder why their churning through managers

If your right @ricky2tricky4city thrn that’s outstanding planning from the club and exactly what we need to do more and more of

Succession planning is something so many clubs get wrong and then wonder why their churning through managers

It does absolutely reek of having a plan, having confidence in a strategy, and having trust in the various leaders across the club to make it happen. It really is fantastic to see.

It also puts us in a really strong negotiating position with Toby. I think his level did drop this year, only slightly, but it happened. Sanchez has come in and largely we haven't missed a beat without TA. He certainly deserves more than 50k a week and I think our general wage structure will go up this summer, so he can get a rise but I don't expected us to be put over a barrel with him. Similarly, I'm not sure where he goes that's an obvious good move for him. So Madrid give him a first 11 spot? Do Barca? Do Bayern? Do Atletico? Do Juve? Maybe Juve, but I don't see them trying to re-energise an ageing back line with a 29 year old coming off a serious injury.

To me, the obvious move is United, but even then, he doesn't strike me as a typical Mourinho defender. He's classy, he's good on the ball, his game isn't based around brute strength and height. He has more than that. So I don't know that Jose gets the best out of him, and even so, if they want to pay us the premium we will charge to sell to a rival for a potentially injury prone 29 year old, I wouldn't shed any tears over that.

So he may well leave, but I also think he may end up staying, because the club maneuvered itself into a position of strength to such an extent where we don't need to overpay for him, and yet we still represent his best choice. I think in the summer we should give him at least 100k, and we fully reintegrate him back in. We have big competition between Toby, Sanchez and Jan, with Foyth to push them all, and we have some real depth and healthy competition there. He knows the system here, he knows the team, he knows that the medical staff know how to handle him. I think this could still work out but if it doesn't, I'm not going to be massively disapointed.

It does absolutely reek of having a plan, having confidence in a strategy, and having trust in the various leaders across the club to make it happen. It really is fantastic to see.

It also puts us in a really strong negotiating position with Toby. I think his level did drop this year, only slightly, but it happened. Sanchez has come in and largely we haven't missed a beat without TA. He certainly deserves more than 50k a week and I think our general wage structure will go up this summer, so he can get a rise but I don't expected us to be put over a barrel with him. Similarly, I'm not sure where he goes that's an obvious good move for him. So Madrid give him a first 11 spot? Do Barca? Do Bayern? Do Atletico? Do Juve? Maybe Juve, but I don't see them trying to re-energise an ageing back line with a 29 year old coming off a serious injury.

To me, the obvious move is United, but even then, he doesn't strike me as a typical Mourinho defender. He's classy, he's good on the ball, his game isn't based around brute strength and height. He has more than that. So I don't know that Jose gets the best out of him, and even so, if they want to pay us the premium we will charge to sell to a rival for a potentially injury prone 29 year old, I wouldn't shed any tears over that.

So he may well leave, but I also think he may end up staying, because the club maneuvered itself into a position of strength to such an extent where we don't need to overpay for him, and yet we still represent his best choice. I think in the summer we should give him at least 100k, and we fully reintegrate him back in. We have big competition between Toby, Sanchez and Jan, with Foyth to push them all, and we have some real depth and healthy competition there. He knows the system here, he knows the team, he knows that the medical staff know how to handle him. I think this could still work out but if it doesn't, I'm not going to be massively disapointed.

I'd be massively disappointed if we sell him to a PL rival. Sell him abroad if he has to go.

Toby's level did seem to drop slightly this year but he was still our best defender and we look less solid without him. While I think Poch has improved him hugely (it was only us and Southampton who wanted him last time), he would walk into most teams. I don't care if United break the bank for him, we should adopt the same stance as Fergie did with Heinze. He can go but he won't go to a rival.

I'd be massively disappointed if we sell him to a PL rival. Sell him abroad if he has to go.

Toby's level did seem to drop slightly this year but he was still our best defender and we look less solid without him. While I think Poch has improved him hugely (it was only us and Southampton who wanted him last time), he would walk into most teams. I don't care if United break the bank for him, we should adopt the same stance as Fergie did with Heinze. He can go but he won't go to a rival.

Jan was our best defender this year I think.

On and off the field I really do believe we spend a long time on our strategy and thinking things thru. And it just so happens that we have 2 of the best in the business to fill those roles.

As an aside the amount of times one (or more) of our better players has been out, the impact or fall off has been barely noticeable, is really quite a few times now.
Strongly pointing very much to the 'strength of the team' and how well coached we are.

What may well happen as well, is some could leave and might not be quite at the level they appear for us. Bit like Poch s ex Southampton boys. Bonus for us is whoever goes we get weighed in massively for.

He will improve Madrid, Barca or PSG, I don't think there's any denying that. Which in turn means by selling him we are weakening ourselves.

After the Walker thing, this injury stuff was a little unsettling right from the off as his recovery apparently stalled - and when he declared himself fit prior to the NLD, I think most of us must have known, one way or another. Poch doesn't do appearances - if you're out, you're out.

He'll weaken us when he leaves, and strengthen whichever team he joins. Jan's good individually, but he doesn't muster the back line like Toby does - never has, never will. And we will feel his absence, like we're feeling Walker's absence this year.

I just hope to GHod he's sold abroad. I will not accept selling him to a domestic club. If it comes down to that, keep him here, extend his contract for a year and let him leave for 25m in 2019 (since he'll likely end up moving to a rival anyway in that case). But if he leaves, he leaves England.

As for replacing him, Sanchez is doing a good job of it (although not to the standards set by Toby himself, by any means). And Foyth will become a damn good defender in time - if his comfort on the ball is anything to go by. They're both right-footed (like Toby is), and we have Dier to fill in at RCB as well if necessary. That side is covered.

If we *do* look for another CB this summer once/if Toby goes, I'd rather we find a left-footed, left-sided center back to rotate Verts with, since we lack that sort of player. We only have one left-footed center-back at present, and I like the balance afforded by our center-back pairings each playing on their stronger sides.

Get a left-footed center-back. Clement Lenglet, at Sevilla, maybe. Or Malang Sarr, at Nice, if he's any good.

After the Walker thing, this injury stuff was a little unsettling right from the off as his recovery apparently stalled - and when he declared himself fit prior to the NLD, I think most of us must have known, one way or another. Poch doesn't do appearances - if you're out, you're out.

He'll weaken us when he leaves, and strengthen whichever team he joins. Jan's good individually, but he doesn't muster the back line like Toby does - never has, never will. And we will feel his absence, like we're feeling Walker's absence this year.

I just hope to GHod he's sold abroad. I will not accept selling him to a domestic club. If it comes down to that, keep him here, extend his contract for a year and let him leave for 25m in 2019 (since he'll likely end up moving to a rival anyway in that case). But if he leaves, he leaves England.

As for replacing him, Sanchez is doing a good job of it (although not to the standards set by Toby himself, by any means). And Foyth will become a damn good defender in time - if his comfort on the ball is anything to go by. They're both right-footed (like Toby is), and we have Dier to fill in at RCB as well if necessary. That side is covered.

If we *do* look for another CB this summer once/if Toby goes, I'd rather we find a left-footed, left-sided center back to rotate Verts with, since we lack that sort of player. We only have one left-footed center-back at present, and I like the balance afforded by our center-back pairings each playing on their stronger sides.

Get a left-footed center-back. Clement Lenglet, at Sevilla, maybe. Or Malang Sarr, at Nice, if he's any good.
If you think about it, him not playing all this time is equivalent to him leaving us. But i don't think we have suffered as much as we thought we would. And with Harley with a year of experience under his belt and a proper pre-season, we'll probably suffer even less next season.

Now to find that promising left- footed CB...

If you think about it, him not playing all this time is equivalent to him leaving us. But i don't think we have suffered as much as we thought we would. And with Harley with a year of experience under his belt and a proper pre-season, we'll probably suffer even less next season.

Last season, we didn't miss Walker as much as we thought we would, either - although he was being played more than Toby's being played at the moment. But we miss Walker now. Trippier isn't as good, and Aurier has the potential to be as good but is still young and new to the league.

Similarly, I think we'll still miss Toby, even if we're trying to adapt without him in advance of him leaving.

Last season, we didn't miss Walker as much as we thought we would, either - although he was being played more than Toby's being played at the moment. But we miss Walker now. Trippier isn't as good, and Aurier has the potential to be as good but is still young and new to the league.

Similarly, I think we'll still miss Toby, even if we're trying to adapt without him in advance of him leaving.

How exactly have we missed Kyle 'Brain fart' Walker?

Trippier has been outstanding this season. Outstanding. Aurier is getting better and better.

I don't think we've really missed Walker at all.

Last edited:
How exactly have we missed Kyle 'Brain fart' Walker this season?

Trippier has been outstanding this season. Outstanding. Aurier is getting better and better.

I don't think we've really missed Walker at all.

I think I agree with this. If we had Walker, would we have beat Juve? Would he have been the difference between not dropping those points earlier in the season? Maybe...but I think the earlier season games Trippier should have been plenty good enough to beat WBA and Swansea. I’m not sure Walker helps us best Juve, although he certainly plays better than Aurier in the away leg.

Ultimately I think it was a calculated sale in the hope that he declines fairly quickly over the next couple of years. The idea being this would be City’s year and a transition one for us, so all things considered taking the 50M was so bad thing. We weren’t going to win the League with the Wembley adjustment and there’s a big chance we would still get top 4 with Trippier’s improvement. Obviously Walker has massively improved City because they had rubbish full backs before, so it put paid to us catching them this year at least, but I think it was a sale made with the mid term in mind.

https://www.hln.be/sport/voetbal/bu...etaalt-50-miljoen-voor-alderweireld~a6f37f21/

Roughly translated with google translate -
Who pays 50 million for Alderweireld?
TOTTENHAM PUTS RED DEVIL IN THE WINDOW

The plug out. Tottenham no longer insists on a contract extension for his most highly regarded defender, Toby Alderweireld (29). Too big gap between supply and demand, too much bickering. The Spurs will soon hope for a jackpot of around 50 million euros. Exit Toby.

Soon, with the Red Devils, Toby Alderweireld will undoubtedly get a question about his contractual situation. A death eater or a soothing answer will follow: "I'm happy at Tottenham." Or something like that. He would rather not kick too much, but whether he is still playing in North London next season is anything but a certainty. After all, conversations about a new contract have not turned out at all.

Wage ceiling

For the time being, the management of Tottenham is making no effort to open this agreement. Chairman Daniel Levy is not prepared to break the wage ceiling for one of his top defenders - no salary above 120,000 euros per week. Alderweireld is with a gross amount of 55,000 euros - without bonuses - one of the small earners and had in mind a store in line with the market. As one of the best central defenders in the Premier League, he would like to be rewarded for his status. That means: a salary that is more or less in line with that of other top defenders - with 180,000 euros - including bonuses - Virgil van Dijk is the best-paid backguard player. The Spurs do not want to go that far. They had liked to keep Alderweireld, but not at all costs. In January they finally pulled out the plug.

Tottenham is now busy with the post-Toby era. The impetus for possibly two more frustrating months with his employer. After all, the Spurs have a reputation for intimidating players who do not want to sign up. Generally, their loyal trainer is part of that story - see Kyle Walker last season, see Danny Rose now. Mauricio Pochettino uses players who no longer have a future à la carte. And the hamstring problems of Alderweireld - he stood for three and a half months on the side and then went through the Spartan training regime again a little ailment - have not helped him either.

At a press conference, a month ago, Pochettino continued to emphasize the age of Alderweireld (29): "We have to be careful not to risk his career." A week later, the Argentine Jan Vertonghen called his most constant pardon and he praised the praise of all other defenders in his core, except Alderweireld. All signs of irritation. For the time being he only showed him in the cup.

Option in contract

Alderweireld is still a good year. The club does have a one-sided option to extend that with a season until 2020, but it does activate a € 28 million start-up clause, which applies in a certain period of the summer of 2019. Levy wants to avoid that scenario. Rather than see Alderweireld go for free or for the above bargain price, he hopes to sell it this summer. For many millions of course. The highest bidder wins. He counts on at least 50 million. A few top clubs follow the situation, without concrete steps to date.

(you need to log in to see full article, link only gives you top 1/3rd)

Now to find that promising left- footed CB...
There seems to have been a reasonable amount of smoke about Mawson over the past year or so. Is he left footed?

If Toby wants a big payday swansong then like Walker I wish him well and thank him for his time with us.

Back