• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

He is plenty good enough to be back up (KWP and Jan are options as well) and imo he would be better off starting at LB and then showing Poch (like Bale did with AVB) that he could be better suited further forward.

Davies is pretty sound injury wise as well.

Put it this way, if we can put up with the mixed performances of our 2 RBs this season then Sessegnon at LB should be acceptable.
There have been mixed performances at right back, but Aurier is at worst a mid table PL player. Trippier at his worst would walk into most mid table PL sides imo.

How good is Sessegnon defensively? The difficult PL and CL games are at a very different level to the Championship. A level Sessegnon hasn't been tested at, and a level very few 18 year olds handle well, even very talented 18 year olds.

I think it's easier to succeed at that age in a more attacking role.

I don't think we should leave ourselves in a position where one injury would mean shifting Vertonghen out of position in big games.

If there is one thing Poch is excellent at, its teaching defence.

Look at our team, not only the discipline - but the understanding of que's in game, when to be where, when to cover, when to step on, when to drop back...

We really are outstanding in this respect (especially considering we are a fluid attacking team).

If Sessegnon was the worst defender in the world (he's not) I would still be confident of Pochettino getting him into serviceable shape in relatively short order.

As it is Id imagine him being used more as wing back than full back, so providing he has the discipline to work hard Im sure its no issue.

I imagine we'd bring Sessegnon in as our 6th choice AM, then slowly develop him into a wing back over a couple of seasons. Ideally that means keeping Rose for another year or two.

Tottenham, Leicester and former club Southampton are all interested in signing Luke Shaw, who was taken off at half-time in the 2-0 FA Cup quarter-final win over Brighton on Saturday, if he leaves Manchester United. (Star)

Some Manchester United players believe 22-year-old Shaw, who has been capped seven times by England, is being "bullied" by manager Jose Mourinho after being singled out for criticism following the Brighton game. (Telegraph)

Still only 22!

Shaw never really recovered from his injury. That took some of his physical advantages away from him. I think he might need converting into a DM at some point quite soon in his career, but I'm not sure if he's intelligent enough for that.

He'll have to take a pay cut to join anyone you'd have to think

To most clubs apart from Arse who might be in for a left back in the summer. They would pay what he is on right now

Also I'm not sure we are in a position to offer a left back much more than 70-90k a week? That's a big drop from what he is earning. I think we will be looking at alternatives like Sessegnon, Tierney

To most clubs apart from Arse who might be in for a left back in the summer. They would pay what he is on right now

Also I'm not sure we are in a position to offer a left back much more than 70-90k a week? That's a big drop from what he is earning. I think we will be looking at alternatives like Sessegnon, Tierney

Both Sessegnon and tierney are better players than shaw was at their ages (I know Sessegnon is much younger)

Shaw is a another ex Southampton player that got hyped up without doing or achieving much

Reminds me of Chambers

I thought he looked very good under Poch at SCBC. Looked the complete package, the perfect modern fullback in the making.

Of course, he had a way to go, but all the same everything was there.

Injuries really set him back at a crucial time. And, of course, he is yet another cautionary tale with the "big move to early" phenomenon.

Essentially he has lost what? 3 years? When he really should have been kicking on he has done nothing.

Now the question becomes, can he find some traction and start developing again, or is he one of those players that never really improves after the career-stall?

He is young enough to improve, but Ive not idea which way he would go.

It is possible he just tumbles down the levels, equally I could imagine Poch picking him up cheap and him becoming a success story again.

I thought he looked very good under Poch at SCBC. Looked the complete package, the perfect modern fullback in the making.

Of course, he had a way to go, but all the same everything was there.

Injuries really set him back at a crucial time. And, of course, he is yet another cautionary tale with the "big move to early" phenomenon.

Essentially he has lost what? 3 years? When he really should have been kicking on he has done nothing.

Now the question becomes, can he find some traction and start developing again, or is he one of those players that never really improves after the career-stall?

He is young enough to improve, but Ive not idea which way he would go.

It is possible he just tumbles down the levels, equally I could imagine Poch picking him up cheap and him becoming a success story again.
I think it depends where he goes to next as to whether he's a hit or not. If he comes to us Im confident he would be a success, not just us but any manager that will allow him to have the freedom to play and his talent will shine through. A more rigid manager might not be the best thing for him....

Shaw has lost a yard of pace since the leg break. He needs to adapt his game to being a intelligent defender, rather than a quick one. What would Walker say be if he lost 20% of his pace, would he be able to adapt and become a Ben Davies?

Shaw never really recovered from his injury. That took some of his physical advantages away from him. I think he might need converting into a DM at some point quite soon in his career, but I'm not sure if he's intelligent enough for that.
Although that's a possibility (as with any major injury), i wouldnt say that's confirmed. He has had very little playing time and his biggest issue is he is playing for a manager who treats him like a c.unt.

Which in anyone's book is worse than a double leg break. There is no way forward for him at United.

Shaw has lost a yard of pace since the leg break. He needs to adapt his game to being a intelligent defender, rather than a quick one. What would Walker say be if he lost 20% of his pace, would he be able to adapt and become a Ben Davies?

Why would breaking your leg impact your pace? I'm not doubting you (though equally I have no idea how you could demonstrate that he's slower apart from some careful watching of videos etc) but I can see how muscles injuries would impact pace but a bone (I would have thought) has no real impact

Back