• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

Ok, their pants. Seriously though, it doesn't matter where, just as long as it's consistent.

It needs to cover every millimeter of their bodies, apart from their arms. One sensor isn't enough - you can be offside by any part of your body that you can score from. You can even be offside by a baggy shirt

It needs to cover every millimeter of their bodies, apart from their arms. One sensor isn't enough - you can be offside by any part of your body that you can score from. You can even be offside by a baggy shirt

It wouldn’t take much of a rule rewording to narrow it down to feet position if using sensors, or, as per your suggestion above, a dot grid true depth system could be used.

Change the rule, it's stupid anyway. The rule was to stop players goal hanging, not penalise them because their nose is an inch in front of someone's elbow.

More rules and changes to existing rules just cause more problems than they solve, how many people understand the offside rule now than? I bet it's less than 30 years ago. If a player hasn't got enough sense to stay on side he should be penalised. How can a ref know if a tackle is mistimed or handball is intentional or not, too many decisions are made hard for ref because players are continually cheating. I've noticed that the VAR has not been used to check on the wrestling at corners and freekicks, a big problem in the game.

More rules and changes to existing rules just cause more problems than they solve, how many people understand the offside rule now than? I bet it's less than 30 years ago. If a player hasn't got enough sense to stay on side he should be penalised. How can a ref know if a tackle is mistimed or handball is intentional or not, too many decisions are made hard for ref because players are continually cheating. I've noticed that the VAR has not been used to check on the wrestling at corners and freekicks, a big problem in the game.

I’m sure many people don’t understand the rules, mainly because they haven’t bothered to read them, average fan, fair enough, commentators and pundits, and of course every single player and coach, should have encyclopaedic knowledge of every nuance, chapter and verse, a large amount of disinformation comes from people for whom knowing the rules, is 99% of their job.

Players have always cheated, and they will always do so, decisions are made harder by ambiguous wording.

Change the rule, it's stupid anyway. The rule was to stop players goal hanging, not penalise them because their nose is an inch in front of someone's elbow.

The whole modern defensive game is organised around offsides and keeping a tight line. Linemen usually call it on chests anyway, as that's more in their eyeline than feet.

I’m sure many people don’t understand the rules, mainly because they haven’t bothered to read them, average fan, fair enough, commentators and pundits, and of course every single player and coach, should have encyclopaedic knowledge of every nuance, chapter and verse, a large amount of disinformation comes from people for whom knowing the rules, is 99% of their job.

Players have always cheated, and they will always do so, decisions are made harder by ambiguous wording.

Then they become pundits with rule interpretations to justify how they played: "he's entitled to go down", "you can't jump with using your elbows" (unless a lower league player when it is disgraceful thuggery), etc

Its a fair question, I always thought it was in the rules - but I cant think of it ever being enforced...
What a ridiculous thing to say. How would you know? Yes, it's in the rules, and it's the referees view of the situation that matters. Let's take offside as an example. If the ref is not 100% sure that it's offside, from his view of the situation, he should let play go on. None of us are can know what the referees perception of a situation is!
So your comment about it never being enforced is just plain stupid

Wow, you wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

There are many examples, every game, where a player is "too close to call" and yet called offside all the same.

In a world where the advantage should go to the attacker, that shouldnt be called as offside.

So, either referees persistently have no doubt whatsoever in millimetre/marginal calls, or they simply dont enforce the rule.

Then, as @Finney Is Back rightfully points out - its entirely fair to question whether or not it is even in the rules.

This point may be something, but "stupid" it is not.

That reporter says "there was no contact" but there was... the guy on the floor swipes his left leg backwards and kicks the standing guy's right leg.
The standing guy thinks for a second and realises "this brick ref won't give a pen unless I dive, so I'm gonna dive"
He dives and gets the penalty he deserved in the first place. An example of how a referee cannot see all that is going on, and needs video help.
But not because of a "dive" in terms of conning the ref with no contact.

Genoa-SPAL dodgy penalty given using VAR (5 minutes review time).

French final (not going to stop arguments of bias towards the big teams which was meant to be a benefit) :

Falcao told Canal Plus immediately after the game that the decisions were a "disgrace," and he didn't back down when speaking to reporters.

"It's frustrating when in two cases where there has been VAR, it has served to help PSG," Falcao said. "Sometimes, after looking at the images, nothing is clear and this kind of thing can kill football.

"Reviewing the penalty, they have lost four minutes, and with my goal, another four, but they only added two [at the end of the half]."

Back