• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

Did he blow his whistle? I thought he let play continue and then stopped Swansea from taking the free kick for the offside quickly so that the VAR review could take place?

I'm pretty sure it blew before the ball crossed the line. The commentators on the American channel I was watching said so too, and were ridiculing the referee about it.

It was offside.

But the fact that people are still debating it just illustrates that everything in football is subjective. So save using military grade laser technology covering every millimetre of the pitch and every shirt crease on a player, a couple of crap camera angles doesn't help anyone

In my opinion a big reason for the call in VAR is the punters lack of acceptance that marginal / boarder line decisions will go against you. Even without VAR if you have to get those lines involved to be sure its offside the Lino's call is correct whichever way it is (unless the tech is there to get it instantly as per goal line technology), imo.

I am hoping it goes the way of Golden Goal at the WC, but as others have said it is a great opportunity for Ray Winston to have a bit of banter so I doubt it will.

Even in best case I feel what you gain is not worth what you lose.

The game is good that's why so many people lie watching it, its growing as well not getting smaller.

One facet, everything can be improved.

No reason the goal line technology can’t be adapted for offside decisions too.

It's not possible without laser beams covering the whole pitch and every part of a player's body and clothing somehow being covered by sensors.

One facet, everything can be improved.

No reason the goal line technology can’t be adapted for offside decisions too.
At some point the players and ball will be able to be accurately tracked via technology. At that point we can get rid of the linesman and always have perfect decisions. Until then we should let them get on with it accepting that they will get a few marginal ones wrong.

An automatic system would be fine, excellent in fact. Instant result and no faffing about with a finger in your ear. Don't think anyone will really bemoan the removal of human fallibility, just don't like trying to remove that by introducing another human into the decision.

Sonny's one on Saturday was fine to me, checked, nothing dead obvious, get on with it. Problem is ones like Fernando's "foul", not really a clear miss by the ref (and there was possibly another foul a split second earlier, ignored), but they overrule it. Mata's against Huddersfield too, wasn't obviously offside, same as Sonny's, but they overrule.

Back