• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

'Doing a Walker' isn't exactly being fair to Kyle. He wasn't making himself unavailable for half the games last season - Poch was the one who decided to immediately reduce our reliance on him post-transfer request by playing Tripper instead. Walker would have liked to play - he said as much as well, I think.

If the same thing is happening with Toby, it likely isn't Toby's choice - it will be Poch deciding to immediately cut him out in favour of Sanchez. Only issue with that is that, as wonderfully good as Davinson's been for a 21-year-old kid new to the team and the Premier League...he's no Toby. Not by a long shot. And we are definitely shakier in Toby's absence.

Or he's just injured and being allowed the necessary time to recover? There's a novel concept...

Why does there always have to be some big fudging conspiracy? Never understand why some people are so keen to indulge the utter tripe peddled by the media.

Or he's just injured and being allowed the necessary time to recover? There's a novel concept...

Why does there always have to be some big fudging conspiracy? Never understand why some people are so keen to indulge the utter tripe peddled by the media.

With the contract situation the conspiracy theories are understandable afaic

Toby is taking the tinkle with all these "come on lads I'm Spurs through and through" gonad*s tweets!
If you love Spurs so much sign your contract!
I know he maybe recouping. Be he hasn't be recouping since last summer!
Sign or shut up treating the fans as bloody idiots with the clearly PR tweets!

Feel better now

Toby is taking the tinkle with all these "come on lads I'm Spurs through and through" gonads tweets!
If you love Spurs so much sign your contract!
I know he maybe recouping. Be he hasn't be recouping since last summer!
Sign or shut up treating the fans as bloody idiots with the clearly PR tweets!

Feel better now

What are you on ... he shows that he wants to be here but not on the condition of getting bent over.

His contract will be sorted out at seasons end, one way or another.. It has fudge all to do with him being injured.

I agree.
Levy will IMHO be very wary of signing any player with any hint of recurrent injury risk with a long term contract let alone a 29yo. That sadly for all parties is how it works.

It's more likely than any of the 'rift' conspiracy nonsense that's peddled.

Why is it?

Im not saying i agree with it but i think you'd be foolish to have blind faith that it's all nonsense - there's enough in the story for it to be considered a possibility

Given the exact same narrative gets used with every single one of our players over the last few seasons, each of which have signed deals, Id say its probably fair to err on the side of "its paper BS".

Though, of course, we as fans can never take anything as certain - we never have the inside knowledge at all.

And the media is proven to be making stuff up, partially or miss informed, or sometimes right (by luck sometimes!)... Basically they arent much better informed than us but they do need to make money as well. So I take them with a pinch of salt unless there are proper quotes.

'Doing a Walker' isn't exactly being fair to Kyle. He wasn't making himself unavailable for half the games last season - Poch was the one who decided to immediately reduce our reliance on him post-transfer request by playing Tripper instead. Walker would have liked to play - he said as much as well, I think.

If the same thing is happening with Toby, it likely isn't Toby's choice - it will be Poch deciding to immediately cut him out in favour of Sanchez. Only issue with that is that, as wonderfully good as Davinson's been for a 21-year-old kid new to the team and the Premier League...he's no Toby. Not by a long shot. And we are definitely shakier in Toby's absence.

I'll let my imaginary Toby know he's wrong about Walker

I have no issue with Walker's reasons for leaving and my understanding was being left out of the big games took away a fundamental reason for staying, on lesser wages with less chance of trophies. In that scenario my gripe remains we sold him to domestically.

The intention of my somewhat tongue in cheek post was to state that there is no conspiracy, Toby deserves to be a top earner at our club but those talks may not be able to take place until we have the new stadium ready and Kane gets the uplift his performances have warranted (and maybe a few other players too). The double whammy of him being injured and Poch placing huge importance on conditioning gives rise to the theory that he's being frozen out and I really don't think this is the case.

I hope we see him back, we've done well without him but he'd bring more stability especially in any big games we still have to come. It will still be difficult to make a case for him not cashing in on a move at this stage of his career and given his release clause we may have a tough decision to make in the summer as I'd hate to see him instantly strengthen any of our top 5 rivals.

being frozen out and I really don't think this is the case.

I agree he is not being "frozen out" unless Spurs wanting him to prove his long term fitness is the same thing.
If/when Toby is fit and ready to play and he still wants a 'pay day' with another club, who could not understand that and wish him well.
I though find it strange the general mood amongst people is sign Toby at any 'reasonable/affordable' costs.
I wonder what the reaction would be if we/Levy gave Toby a nice 3 to 4 year deal a say £130k per week and he broke down physically on a regular basis?

I agree he is not being "frozen out" unless Spurs wanting him to prove his long term fitness is the same thing.
If/when Toby is fit and ready to play and he still wants a 'pay day' with another club, who could not understand that and wish him well.
I though find it strange the general mood amongst people is sign Toby at any 'reasonable/affordable' costs.
I wonder what the reaction would be if we/Levy gave Toby a nice 3 to 4 year deal a say £130k per week and he broke down physically on a regular basis?

I guess that the risk with all contracts and it does seem we skew them to be bonus related which offers some protection but possibly causes frustration when players are out / feel fit to play.

I think the sentiment is based on past performance, experience , overall injury record and not wanting to strengthen a rifle. Other than this one has he missed a long spell before? Hopefully is a much the conditioning demands Poch has, Wanyama and Rose have looked shadows of their former selves in their comebacks so far too. I think most of us 'get' the need to stay within the wage budget and think signing Bale for example would be a bad idea for just that reason.

I guess that the risk with all contracts and it does seem we skew them to be bonus related which offers some protection but possibly causes frustration when players are out / feel fit to play.

I think the sentiment is based on past performance, experience , overall injury record and not wanting to strengthen a rifle. Other than this one has he missed a long spell before? Hopefully is a much the conditioning demands Poch has, Wanyama and Rose have looked shadows of their former selves in their comebacks so far too. I think most of us 'get' the need to stay within the wage budget and think signing Bale for example would be a bad idea for just that reason.

"strengthen a rifle" That had me thinking ;)

If he goes, where Toby ends up is down to Levy.
If Toby can prove his fitness I truly think a deal will be struck but not at £180k pw.

"strengthen a rifle" That had me thinking ;)

If he goes, where Toby ends up is down to Levy.
If Toby can prove his fitness I truly think a deal will be struck but not at £180k pw.

lol missed that - rival!

I have a feeling that whatever our new ceiling (I don't think it will even be 180k next season) is other teams will blow it out of the water given he's prem proven and for most of our rivals (rifles) resale value is not a concern.

Poch has confirmed he is back in full training

"He was back in training on Tuesday with the team. I still have not decided if he will be involved or not in the trip to Swansea."

Poch has confirmed he is back in full training

"He was back in training on Tuesday with the team. I still have not decided if he will be involved or not in the trip to Swansea."

If Toby really is back and fit, it may be time to re-start the 3 at the back formation. This solidifies the centre and allows greater freedom for our wingbacks to attack. That formation could allow Eriksen to drop into the two with a single holder behind. Especially useful for when Dembele isn't deemed fit enough to start.

Something like:

.................................Lloris....................................

.............Sanchez.........Toby..........Verts......................

Trips/Aurier.................Dembele/Dier/Wanyama.........Rose/Davies

...............................Eriksen.............................................

Lamela/Moura.................Son...............................Dele

Not disagreeing with your post. But earlier in the season when we played three Toby was to the right and Sanchez down the middle.

I do like that formation so would be nice to get toby in as we are giving teams too many chances of late.

Back