• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

In all fairness, not much of a competition there. According to Wiki, only 8 non-european coaches in the PL history.

I'd imagine the stat would also be 'the fastest not to enjoy a significant wage, transfer budget and inherited squad cost over at least 18 of the the other teams in the league at the time'

One I'd like to see that might help put some perspective on managerial achievements would be the return on a level stake over their career.

Hmmm, OK but that's a bit of a silly stat i.e. the quality of the team you are taking over and your net transfer and wage budgets massively affects what you can do to win your first 100 games.

Yeah. Mourinho is the obvious one there, getting to takeover at Chelsea when they were the only moneyed club in the league.

I hope Poch is here for many years to come but at what point do we stop saying “he’s young, he’ll learn from games like tonight and become a better manager”? He’s been our manager for nearly 4 years and has managed in total for just under a decade. I don’t blame him for the result but some of his in game tactical decisions and subs still leave a lot to be desired.

Why didn’t he bring on Moura? Also, we have 3 subs to use but he only used 2. The only reason I can think of for him not using the third sub was he was thinking about extra time.

I hope Poch is here for many years to come but at what point do we stop saying “he’s young, he’ll learn from games like tonight and become a better manager”? He’s been our manager for nearly 4 years and has managed in total for just under a decade. I don’t blame him for the result but some of his in game tactical decisions and subs still leave a lot to be desired.

Why didn’t he bring on Moura? Also, we have 3 subs to use but he only used 2. The only reason I can think of for him not using the third sub was he was thinking about extra time.
Ferguson took 5 years to win anything. Let's not jump to rash statements off the back of a very narrow defeat.

I don’t agree mate. We are speculating on Moura because we lost but in reality we had the most likely game changers on the pitch at the end. Additionally while the game is 2-1 we only need one goal, if it goes to 3-1 you need 3 goals, so he couldn’t completely sacrifice the defence, especially as Juve were hitting us on the counter. He needs to work on 2 things imho, 1) our chance conversion 2) our loss of defensive focus in big games.

While admire and praise Poch for building an excellent team, I feel he's not man to win us trophies. In his 4 years he's been here we constantly bottle it in the big occasions. We lack mental toughness and Poch doesn't have enough of it to inject into the team.

Poch should have only worried about the next 10 minutes, then the next and so on...

Allegri made two subs that made a quick impact and did a job. The he shut up shop

Poch didn’t make brave subs when we needed them IMO

Cup football has been his weakness and someone said in the OMT we have lost more knock out football than we have won apparently under him (or something like that)

Spurs manager of old never got spurs team turning out in the league like we do but they knew cup games

The Chelsea league cup final when Ramos brought on Tanio at left back was a great gamble

While admire and praise Poch for building an excellent team, I feel he's not man to win us trophies. In his 4 years he's been here we constantly bottle it the big occasions. We lack mental toughness and Poch doesn't have enough of it to inject into the team.
Wow. With whom do you suggest we replace him and start the project over again?

I agree that Poch can improve his in-game management, and I believe he will. He has taken us up a level as a club - we’re now disappointed to go out of the knockout stages of the Champions League, to the two times finalists of recent years, having finished top of a group which contained Real Madrid and Borussia Dortmund.

I believe he’ll take us to the next level.

We do not get rid of Poch IMO

But he does need to learn from his mistakes
Absolutely. Last year we crashed out in the group stage of the CL, this year 8/9 minutes of concentration lapses (and lack of clinical finishing) cost us in the round of 16. Two years ago we finished 3rd in the league, last year 2nd. Hopefully he can continue to improve and learn. and based on 'The Book', he will pore over this performance and look for ways to learn and grow.

Last edited:
Wow. With whom do you suggest we replace him and start the project over again?
I have no idea, but Bedfordspurs is spot on. Granted Juve tonight showed us why they have reached 2 of last 3 finals of the CL. They have the experience and the manager has the nous to turn the game around. We had the match in the bag in the first half, but Poch showed his shortcomings again today. He's young, he will learn, but he lacks the mental toughness and the tactical nous to the see game out in the big occasions. One too many for me and that's why I am not convinced he will bring honours to this club.

It is very rich for fans to criticise a man who has given us year-on-year improvement for 4 seasons now, and has made us into one of the best sides in the country. Disgusting even. We are not entitled to trophies, but at the rate we are going, they will come.

Do none of you remember the days of AVB and Sherwood? Let alone the days of Hoddle and Graham? You should be bloody ashamed.

Back