• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur v Juventus ***

Sorry for my crime in creating an OMT which saw us fail. I am going to take a self imposed break from here for the next month. I will only be available via PM.

Absolutely gutted.
Thought Sanchez played really well tonight.
Hoping Poch is more focused on the fa cup now.

Wait, what? When did they dictate the play?

They are a top team, yes.
We played better than them for 165 minutes of the 180 minutes of the tie.
We switched off for 15 minutes and they punished us ruthlessly.

That is the difference between playing the likes of Juve and even teams like Arsenal. The difference between league football and knockout football. We need to be much more clever in knockout ties.

Did you not see how they controlled the tempo of the game, knew when to take a risk, when to close up shop, when to press etc. They gambled and it paid off.

Yes we do need to be more clever in knockout football.

We lost to a good team? By the comments on here they were kicking lumps out of us?

It was both. Juve played in typical "Italian" style and fouled whenever and wherever they could, Son took more kickings than the ball did. However, Juve are a good team and counter attacked to perfection when they could leading to two goals that, despite people saying we defended badly, were well worked with good runs by the scorers.

Yes i'm tinkled off we lost a game we dominated for most of but as others have said we didn't make changes to adjust to theirs and I'm sure there's a better sub to bring on than llorente. We needed guile not height to break down a defence that Chiellini led well.

Were they all playing offside bar Davies who played him on? I have to see the replay again to be sure, but I thought I saw Trippier having a go at Davies after the goal telling/asking why he wasn't pushed up.
Davies was deepest but even if he was in line Dybala would still have been on. Dybala ran from behind the other players. The fault lies with Trippier as he was tracking Dybala and then let him run on. He should have kept pace with him IMO.

Last edited:
I think the difference today, was it was not the players themselves, but Poch and the management. Small margins, but maybe we walker and toby playing we see that out. Or if we make a sharp sub at 60 and sit deep when then changed shape, we see it out.

We played the better, had Juve well in our grasp, that's why its so frustrating. Poch needs to get our defensive foundation back. We can't concede 4 goals in the tie and expect to win. In short they defended better than us.

That’s a great post. Poch is the best thing to happen to Spurs in my 35 years supporting the club but he can do better in terms of subs.

As a club, we also need to be aware that we can’t sell our best players. These are the games it makes a difference. Sanchez was excellent today but him and Trippier cost us the second goal. I couldn’t see Toby doing that.

Hmm, I'd say it was probably our best 11 out there tbh. Alderweirald obviously nonwithstanding. Rose is a toss up now considering he's spent much of the season injured/ worse than Davies.
Yes..but Rose on form is a strong player and can make those forward runs!

Not able to watch, but looked at score up dates. Saw we were a goal up and was disappointed, but not shocked to see us lose at full time.

I've been seriously frustrated by the way we have played against Huddersfield and Palace. We took the mindset that we had against them into the match today, expecting Juve to cause us as few problems as those two teams did.

Our forwards might be tinkled with the defenders, but they have to take a look at themselves because a team like Liverpool (yeah that's right, I'm gonna bring them into it), would've finished Juve off over the two legs.

That’s a great post. Poch is the best thing to happen to Spurs in my 35 years supporting the club but he can do better in terms of subs.

As a club, we also need to be aware that we can’t sell our best players. These are the games it makes a difference. Sanchez was excellent today but him and Trippier cost us the second goal. I couldn’t see Toby doing that.

I do feel for Poch, as we were in the ascendency up until the sub. Juve were struggling to deal with us, kicking us to stop us getting through. The criticism is that he wasn't ready when the tide turned. Wasn't on his toes himself to make that key change if/ when things changed in the game.

We were also typically wasteful. Several golden opportunities to put ourselves out of sight and couldn't hit the target. Ah, well. I'm content for us to concentrate on domestic matters till the end of the season.

Did you not see how they controlled the tempo of the game, knew when to take a risk, when to close up shop, when to press etc. They gambled and it paid off.

Yes we do need to be more clever in knockout football.
And more experienced...

To win the Fa cup he will have to outfox Mourinho or Conte, maybe both. I know he has done it in the league but it's different in knock-out football. These elite managers just know what it takes to win when it matters. Allegri showed it again tonight

I totally agree with this mate and I also think the group stage is different from the knock outs, as Real are showing again.

We'll need to step up soon and win a knockout tie against one of the other top teams to really make that big step forward imo. I'm trying to think of how many European knock out ties Poch has won and I can only really think of 1 currently. We need to be smarter, more astute and far better at in game management as well.

Fell asleep for five minutes and got punished... that's knockout football - everything else is window dressing, experience/naivety etc etc

We looked dead on our feet at 60 minutes. After that we didn't have a midfield as Dier went missing and Dembele was basically a statue. We should as always score more goals given the number of chances we create, but the lack of substitutions cost us.

I do feel for Poch, as we were in the ascendency up until the sub. Juve were struggling to deal with us, kicking us to stop us getting through. The criticism is that he wasn't ready when the tide turned. Wasn't on his toes himself to make that key change if/ when things changed in the game.

From reading his book, it seems his philosophy is guided by doing everything in his power to make players feel good about themselves. He’s taken that to an extreme with his attitude to subs. He’s said he doesn’t want to upset players by taking them off to early.

Sadly, that’s a part of is job where he has to make tough decisions and he should be better at it in my opinion. He has a responsibility to try and change these games with subs and rarely does it.

Back