• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

those transfer funds would come in handy for reinvesting in the squad

Setting aside the argument about TA to some extent, I'd be interesting in hearing where you think we need to re-invest funds. For me the summer likely activity is likely minimal:

- Rose out, Sessegnon in - net zero (at most!)
- Janssen out, young (18-20 y.o.) CF in - net £10m-£15m spent?
- perhaps Sissoko and GKN out, proceeds spend on Dembele's eventual replacement?

So not much cash needed for those and really not sure what else we need. We have 5 players for the role behind Kane (Son, Lamela, Eriksen, Dele, Moura), 4 decent CMs (Winks, Dembele, Dier, Wanyama), enough RBs, Davies + Rose/Sessegnon for LB, 4 CBs incl Toby or his replacement, enough GKs,...so I can understand it if people said that we should sell TA because of his age or wages, but I dont get why we'd sell in order to use the funds to reinvest in the squad. Where do you feel the gaps are?

Setting aside the argument about TA to some extent, I'd be interesting in hearing where you think we need to re-invest funds. For me the summer likely activity is likely minimal:

- perhaps Sissoko and GKN out, proceeds spend on Dembele's eventual replacement?

So not much cash needed for those and really not sure what else we need. We have 5 players for the role behind Kane (Son, Lamela, Eriksen, Dele, Moura), 4 decent CMs (Winks, Dembele, Dier, Wanyama), enough RBs, Davies + Rose/Sessegnon for LB, 4 CBs incl Toby or his replacement, enough GKs,...so I can understand it if people said that we should sell TA because of his age or wages, but I dont get why we'd sell in order to use the funds to reinvest in the squad. Where do you feel the gaps are?

I don't disagree massively with that, we have a strong squad and other than Sissoko and Llorente, no obvious weaknesses. I think that it is better to make gradual changes voluntarily than have drastic ones forced upon you. We are reaching the stage where Verts, Alderweireld, Dembele and Rose are nearing the final stage of their career. I think that it makes sense to move on one or two of them over the next year whilst their values are high and invest the proceeds in the next batch of youngsters.

I don't disagree massively with that, we have a strong squad and other than Sissoko and Llorente, no obvious weaknesses. I think that it is better to make gradual changes voluntarily than have drastic ones forced upon you. We are reaching the stage where Verts, Alderweireld, Dembele and Rose are nearing the final stage of their career. I think that it makes sense to move on one or two of them over the next year whilst their values are high and invest the proceeds in the next batch of youngsters.

I agree with this logic

We shouldn’t sell for the sake of it but of players won’t sign the contacts on offer then feck em...

Sanchez is on a big upwards curve

We have already brought in Foyth

We found gqt in Maguire for Toby’s few with change

I expect us to be all over Sessegnon and others and If selling proven but aging players is the way they keep on getting better or improving as a club that’s alright for me

I think we might also need to look at right-back. Trippier and Aurier look more squad player level than reliable first-choice. I'd be happy if we kept one and upgraded on the other. Poch may feel they are both good enough but for me, in terms of first XI, right-back is the weakest position.

We will strengthen and upgrade. A firm plan from Poch is in place and as I often say (to the chagrin of some!) TRUST the manager because he gets a hell of a lot more right than wrong when given full scope.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Gotta say I agree with you here. At the start of the season Toby was looking more wobbly than usual. It wasn't massively obvious, and maybe it didn't always lead to something, but there were moments that just made you think 'He never used to do things like that'. He's now had a second long injury, he's struggling to get back into form, Sanchez is playing really well, and Foyth has improved as the season has progressed if you ask me. Not to say Sanchez, Foyth and CCV are enough to cover for Toby on their own, just to say that getting £50M by selling abroad this summer wouldn't be the worst thing.

Toby used to look absolutely indestructible, but this year it is Jan that is making the consistently correct decisions.

Yeah the CL point is a fair one although we didn’t go very far last year. Not sure what that translates to in financial terms though.

Does anyone know how much extra revenue the stadium will bring in?

Either way, Levy will have this worked out to the cent and will have known for some time where we stand financially once the stadium is done. He’s a very shrewd operator and a great businessman and will know how we’ll be bringing in, how much he can pay Toby and the others that will come knocking.
I wonder if there is any sensitivity analysis being done factoring in CL and players' salaries. For example, if CL will net us an additional £50-60 million per season, is it worth it to increase our total wages by £25 million, in order to maintain the quality of players that will get us CL on a consistent basis and hence that extra £50-60 million. And factoring in assumptions about how often we would need to qualify to make this sustainable, as well as projecting revenue stream from the increased CL exposure. Must be some really complex analysis going on, as there is a domino effect to these things.

We keep on thinking of Sessegnon as a left back, but I don't think he is one, or will spend his career at that position. So we still would need a LB, unless Rose stays. That chap Emerson Palmieri that Chelsea snatched up would have been ideal, but not sure why we didn't go in for him. And the price they paid was peanuts in today's market, not to mention his wages would have been easily affordable (I don't think Chelsea are paying him more than £60-70k).

I wonder if there is any sensitivity analysis being done factoring in CL and players' salaries. For example, if CL will net us an additional £50-60 million per season, is it worth it to increase our total wages by £25 million, in order to maintain the quality of players that will get us CL on a consistent basis and hence that extra £50-60 million. And factoring in assumptions about how often we would need to qualify to make this sustainable, as well as projecting revenue stream from the increased CL exposure. Must be some really complex analysis going on, as there is a domino effect to these things.

We are meant to have a heavily incentivised wage structure, presumably that will include bonuses for CL qualification, getting out of the group stage etc. That probably does not leave a lot of room for further pay rises based on future qualification.

We are meant to have a heavily incentivised wage structure, presumably that will include bonuses for CL qualification, getting out of the group stage etc. That probably does not leave a lot of room for further pay rises based on future qualification.
There are always bonuses based on individual and team achievements, but do we know if they are such that they will keep the players happy. And would players perhaps be happier with a higher salary and smaller bonuses? We do not have any insights into their contracts or their heads, so it's all quite speculative. In any case, point taken, but unless the incentives are to the tune of £2-3 million per first team player (which I doubt they are - they're probably closer to £500K), I think there may be some wiggle room there.

There are always bonuses based on individual and team achievements, but do we know if they are such that they will keep the players happy. And would players perhaps be happier with a higher salary and smaller bonuses? We do not have any insights into their contracts or their heads, so it's all quite speculative. In any case, point taken, but unless the incentives are to the tune of £2-3 million per first team player (which I doubt they are - they're probably closer to £500K), I think there may be some wiggle room there.

I have read that the performance bonuses are significant and mean that the players wages are higher than is usually reported. I have no idea if that will keep the players happy, that probably depends on the player. I am sure that the players would be happier on a higher salary and smaller bonuses, it would give them a higher guaranteed income but that does not mean that it would be the right thing for the club to do. Our income is significantly smaller than the clubs that we are directly competing with, we cannot afford to try and match them and trying to do so would be a massive gamble that could threaten the club's future.

I have read that the performance bonuses are significant and mean that the players wages are higher than is usually reported. I have no idea if that will keep the players happy, that probably depends on the player. I am sure that the players would be happier on a higher salary and smaller bonuses, it would give them a higher guaranteed income but that does not mean that it would be the right thing for the club to do. Our income is significantly smaller than the clubs that we are directly competing with, we cannot afford to try and match them and trying to do so would be a massive gamble that could threaten the club's future.
We need to do something like build a new stadium with a capacity in the 61,000 seat range to up our match day income. That would help generate more money.

We need to do something like build a new stadium with a capacity in the 61,000 seat range to up our match day income. That would help generate more money.

It will but that is only one income stream and will not cover the wealth gap between us and the rest of the top six on its own. We will also have to pay for the stadium which will draw some of the extra revenue for some time.

It will but that is only one income stream and will not cover the wealth gap between us and the rest of the top six on its own. We will also have to pay for the stadium which will draw some of the extra revenue for some time.
Maybe, and I'm just throwing it out there, if we build a new stadium, perhaps they could design a retractable pitch and then, maybe we could perhaps strike a deal with another sport - possibly the NFL - to play a couple of games a year? That would generate more revenue.

Maybe, and I'm just throwing it out there, if we build a new stadium, perhaps they could design a retractable pitch and then, maybe we could perhaps strike a deal with another sport - possibly the NFL - to play a couple of games a year? That would generate more revenue.

It all helps. The club is fantastically well run and we punch massively above our weight both on the field and commercially but the kind of gap that we are talking about (and I am talking about the gap between us and Liverpool/Arsenal) will take more than a new stadium and a couple of American football games to bridge. We need to have a decade or more of playing in the CL continually to start getting close. That is where the real money is; TV, merchandise and sponsorship.

It all helps. The club is fantastically well run and we punch massively above our weight both on the field and commercially but the kind of gap that we are talking about (and I am talking about the gap between us and Liverpool/Arsenal) will take more than a new stadium and a couple of American football games to bridge. We need to have a decade or more of playing in the CL continually to start getting close. That is where the real money is; TV, merchandise and sponsorship.
Or, we could grow a child into a teenager into a man and pray, pray, pray he turns into the finest striker in world football. And fiercely loyal. That could work.

Back