• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

I think he needs to realise who gambled on him when he was dropped and shipped out on loan by the last big team that he went to. If we have offered 110k a week and good bonus then he is clearly not happy staying here and wants to go to a bigger club for much bigger wages. I don't care what player it is, if it turns out to be greed anyone of them can be let go imo.

You raise a good point. We made him because I don’t recall too many clubs besides Southampton wanting him when we signed him.

That said, I don’t think you can say he’s being greedy. He’s seeing VVD get paid 170k or whatever at Liverpool. They’re the club most like us in the top 6 and they’re paying a player more than Toby is asking for. What he’s asking for is fair based on the market. It’s just a matter of if we can pay it especially given that it’ll trigger a queue to Levy’s door. But if we want to run with the big dogs, that’s what it’ll take.

If we continue with a philosophy of selling players who ask for what we think is too much money, it’ll eventually catch up with us and we’ll have spells where we can’t compete with the clubs who will splash the cash. We have a better transfer policy and manager than most but they won’t always get it right.

This is where we decide if we’re a big club or not.

You raise a good point. We made him because I don’t recall too many clubs besides Southampton wanting him when we signed him.

That said, I don’t think you can say he’s being greedy. He’s seeing VVD get paid 170k or whatever at Liverpool. They’re the club most like us in the top 6 and they’re paying a player more than Toby is asking for. What he’s asking for is fair based on the market. It’s just a matter of if we can pay it especially given that it’ll trigger a queue to Levy’s door. But if we want to run with the big dogs, that’s what it’ll take.

If we continue with a philosophy of selling players who ask for what we think is too much money, it’ll eventually catch up with us and we’ll have spells where we can’t compete with the clubs who will splash the cash. We have a better transfer policy and manager than most but they won’t always get it right.

This is where we decide if we’re a big club or not.
I pretty much agree with what you are saying other than the fact it is a decision, Liverpool earn substantially more than us so can afford higher wages. We can afford Toby but what about the rest?.

I pretty much agree with what you are saying other than the fact it is a decision, Liverpool earn substantially more than us so can afford higher wages. We can afford Toby but what about the rest?.

From the last numbers I saw, they earn about 60m more than us. I’d hope the stadium plugs most of that gap so we’re at least at a similar level to them.

I absolutely agree that we shouldn’t just give Toby what he wants and not think about the rest. If we can’t afford the wages then we can’t afford them. I know that as fans we all just want to keep our players but Levy has to be responsible here. However, if Levy decides that we can’t play our players the market rate, we have to accept that what we’re currently doing won’t lead to sustainable success. At some stage it will catch up with us unless the bubble bursts or the Russians and Arabs get bored.

From the last numbers I saw, they earn about 60m more than us. I’d hope the stadium plugs most of that gap so we’re at least at a similar level to them.

I absolutely agree that we shouldn’t just give Toby what he wants and not think about the rest. If we can’t afford the wages then we can’t afford them. I know that as fans we all just want to keep our players but Levy has to be responsible here. However, if Levy decides that we can’t play our players the market rate, we have to accept that what we’re currently doing won’t lead to sustainable success. At some stage it will catch up with us unless the bubble bursts or the Russians and Arabs get bored.

I would've thought that the main reason for the difference in income between us and Liverpool was merchandise and sponsorship rather than ticket sales.

I would've thought that the main reason for the difference in income between us and Liverpool was merchandise and sponsorship rather than ticket sales.

It is and they’ll probably continue to make more in merchandising but we’ll make more in ticket sales and the gap will be narrowed. I’d imagine we’ll get a big wad as well from selling the naming rights.

I think those figures(60m) were when we had CL and they did not,previous year was 100m and I would expect the gap to widen again...depending on Wembley profit.

Other than that i agree with you. I personallythink we will be selling a few in the next couple of years as the players are top class and Will be in demand , more than we can afford.

It's also why I don't think we will sell anyone before then as replacement will either be inferior or on high wages. Need a consistent CL qualification and the sponsors that brings on top of the stadium cash.

I think those figures(60m) were when we had CL and they did not,previous year was 100m and I would expect the gap to widen again...depending on Wembley profit.

Other than that i agree with you. I personallythink we will be selling a few in the next couple of years as the players are top class and Will be in demand , more than we can afford.

It's also why I don't think we will sell anyone before then as replacement will either be inferior or on high wages. Need a consistent CL qualification and the sponsors that brings on top of the stadium cash.

Yeah the CL point is a fair one although we didn’t go very far last year. Not sure what that translates to in financial terms though.

Does anyone know how much extra revenue the stadium will bring in?

Either way, Levy will have this worked out to the cent and will have known for some time where we stand financially once the stadium is done. He’s a very shrewd operator and a great businessman and will know how we’ll be bringing in, how much he can pay Toby and the others that will come knocking.

Wow double our wages.

Yep
Arsenal too pay over a Mill more a week than us and will soon be over that with their new contracts ... if they every get anyone to sign em

Liverpool are interesting as Fenway won’t invest any money on the club and it shows. Every year it’s all about keeping the club on a decent sporting financially. It’s why I was sure they wouldn’t spend any of the money for a Coutinho as they had already spent it

Chelsea are doing the same thing as we can see

Arse now think throwing money at their problems is the answer whilst keeping Wenger there

City will actually spend less now they have stocked up with younger players

United have no plan that I can see and will just buy names when available

This'll be heresy to some but I would not be against selling him in the summer. We are never going to get more for him than we would this year and whether we like it or not, those transfer funds would come in handy for reinvesting in the squad. If he is dithering over a new contract, I think that it is far better to sell whilst we are in control of the situation than let it drag out to a point where we are not. I would not be concerned about selling to another PL club if the fee was exorbitant.

You know my view [emoji6]

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Yep
Arsenal too pay over a Mill more a week than us and will soon be over that with their new contracts ... if they every get anyone to sign em

Liverpool are interesting as Fenway won’t invest any money on the club and it shows. Every year it’s all about keeping the club on a decent sporting financially. It’s why I was sure they wouldn’t spend any of the money for a Coutinho as they had already spent it

Chelsea are doing the same thing as we can see

Arse now think throwing money at their problems is the answer whilst keeping Wenger there

City will actually spend less now they have stocked up with younger players

United have no plan that I can see and will just buy names when available
Liverpool have been really racking up the sponsorship deals under Fenway though,official doughnut partners etc.

Liverpool have been really racking up the sponsorship deals under Fenway though,official doughnut partners etc.

But their not big money ones like United and there is a limit on what you can do there unless you become a success

Could argue they need these random sponsorships just to remain competitive

Back