• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

It's certainly a tricky one.

And it is not being helped by Toby's current injury record.

To look at it from both sides, the club very likely have a forward projection on wages, if toby's demands are too high at this point in time i can see the reluctance to proceed, especially given the knock on effect on other players contract demands.

The club will obviously take into account age, injuries, existing squad options etc. We may well dish out £150,000 a week contracts but maybe NOW is a year too early?

People must remember that when the existing contract was written, the £25M clause (for a 30yr old) would have appeared a massive fee back then, it is only because of the nuts market of the last couple of years that that now doesn't give us a handsome compensation pay-off if toby wanted to go. (still not too bad though).

From Toby's point of view, i think he'd quite happily stay if paid what he considers he is worth. I do have sympathy with him, he is a top 10 in europe CB. And lets not forget he has been excellent for a while, so in a roundabout way we've been getting the best for 50-65k a week. I'd easily say that we have been paying half of what he's worth for a good two seasons. So effectively saving 50-65k a week, and although on that low wage has never looked unmotivated or lacked effort or commitment.

Undoubtedly Toby's hamstring was a bad one. From what i know it wasnt completely ruptured (unlike Barkley), but very close to being so. The conservative treatment is not to have surgery (which is a good thing), plus the recovery is quicker but outlook a bit more sketchy than surgery. This will, at this time be a barrier to any agreement being finalised.

For me, leaving this summer does feel a bit too soon due to the lack of experience of Sanchez and Foyth. Ideally (if his injuries are ok) i'd pay him the £150,000 he wants for one year(to keep him motivated) and up the release clause to £35M and he can go that following summer and still be at an age to secure one last pay day and we get a great player with great experience to help the youngsters for one more season and help us in our new stadium.

He’s asking for triple the wages (he was on low wages of £60k so he is owed to be fair), if everyone starts wanting their wage tripled then we’re screwed.

Like you say, wage increases are inevitable but they have to be sustainable and manageable.

I don't think that Levy would entertain the argument that that he is owed wages in arrears. The counter to that is that a contract offer has been on the table for x many months and you could've signed it at any time and been on more money. Realistically, wage structure wise, I think that we are entering a period where we make an exception for Kane and then there is a tier just below that where Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Alli, Eriksen and Lloris sit.

I'm still hopeful that things will be sorted out and an agreeable compromise reached. We are only in February after all. It's true that we have been doing well whilst Toby has been out, but that's partly helped by Verts having a blinding season. I don't think we are quite in a position yet where we would want to lose Toby : Sanchez would ideally have another season to get fully up to speed on being a preferred first choice. Foyth is not ready yet. Poch has said that he sees Dier as ultimately being a CB, but I'm not convinced Dier feels that way. We could look to bring someone in to replace Toby in the summer. But would that be as a first choice, or back-up to a (hopefully) ever-improving Sanchez? What happens if (gulp) Verts gets injured. Keeping Toby for longer would be the preferred option and one that we should try to make happen - but, we have to operate within our means.
There are going to be numerous variables in the negotiation, with the headline fee being only one - term, bonuses, and no doubt other things I can't think of, etc. all make up the final deal so you'd hope there are still opportunities for trade-offs. This does have the feel of the media being used as a negotiation tactic, as others have said.

Or then again, it may just be this :

Serious question, I have not heard it but has there been any singing or support for Toby like "Sign him up" etc from the fans? Knowing that they would be disgruntled if he doesn't?

Apparently we haven't missed Walker either.

That sort of comment only makes any sense if we had unilaterally decided to sell Walker when he was completely happy to stay. That was not the case. Walker wanted to leave at all costs.

Therefore the question should be whether we coped reasonably well without him. The answer is obvious though I have a suspicion Poch may look to replace Aurier in the summer.

Same argument with Toby; if he decides to leave, can we cope without him. Having moved again to a back 4, and seeing the way Sanches is developing, I would hope we would.

All a bunch of speculation that nobody knows the truth about. One of the things the club has done really well over last 3-4 years is cleaning up leaks of information (look at our transfer windows now, nobody has a fudging clue outside the club of what is going on), the idea that we know the details of a wage negotiation outside of an agent doing the press rounds (And even then, I wouldn't believe it), is nonsense.

I maintain, as long as Toby wants to stay and he's not demanding City/Manure kind of wages (I think our wage ceiling will go up), the club will find a way. If he wants out ala Walker, he will go.

I'm not going to pretend we won't miss him, or that I don't care and I really do hope it gets worked out.

Serious question, I have not heard it but has there been any singing or support for Toby like "Sign him up" etc from the fans? Knowing that they would be disgruntled if he doesn't?

Toby Alderweireld he hasn't got a song
Toby Alderweireld his name's to f-king long

Our best song since Nothing Rhymes with Bentaleb

Verts is on similar money to Toby and his contract expires summer 2019. So what should the club do with him considering he is in the form of his life but is 31 soon. He too had lengthy spells out injured in the last few years. If Toby is a risk in terms of offering a big financial contract then I guess Verts is even less likely to be offered one.

So realistically we are on the verge of losing both our darling Dutch defenders

It's not just paying the man. As the article points out it's paying the entire squad.

Another £50k p/w is roughly £2.5m a year. Paying that much extra for 6 first team players is £15m a year. If that means paying another 7-8 players another £25k p/w that's another £10m a year.

So somewhere in the region of £25m per season to "pay the man" isn't unrealistic as a back of the napkin estimate imo.

Add a £50m transfer fee and that's £75m to spend to replace a 29 year old who has had some injury problems and keep our wage structure more under control. With some of the success we've had in the market in recent years that's a lot of potential quality. He's obviously a brilliant 29 year old who likely has several years left at the top level. I definitely want to keep him. But that's a huge financial decision for Levy and Pochettino and imo not as easy as just paying the man.

Keeping our wage structure under control has been very important for our success. With the new stadium we should be able to raise our wages, but continuing to keep it under control will be important.

Too much common sense, and not enough coloured charts and graphs!

Verts is on similar money to Toby and his contract expires summer 2019. So what should the club do with him considering he is in the form of his life but is 31 soon. He too had lengthy spells out injured in the last few years. If Toby is a risk in terms of offering a big financial contract then I guess Verts is even less likely to be offered one.

do you think we have a +1 on his deal similar to the Lamella one that was announced recently? Otherwise the casualness of it all surprises me.

We got to Ajax and say how much for De Jong and De Ligt.

I don't think that contract negotiations are a one size fits all. We do not know what Verts will ask for or whether we have options to extend his current deal. The difference with Alderweireld is that there is an option to extend but we activate a release clause at about half his current value if we activate it. That rather forces our hand and means that his future needs to be sorted out one way or the other this summer.

I don't think that contract negotiations are a one size fits all. We do not know what Verts will ask for or whether we have options to extend his current deal. The difference with Alderweireld is that there is an option to extend but we activate a release clause at about half his current value if we activate it. That rather forces our hand and means that his future needs to be sorted out one way or the other this summer.

Bit weird that Levy allowed the clause into the contract in the first place. I wonder how many other odd clauses there are in other contracts.

Back