• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

Think its madness not to pay the man.

How much will his replacement cost?

Him going to Chelsea/United/Liverpool would be an absolute disaster
His replacement costs whatever Harley's salary is. And selling him allows us to get one of the Ajax youngsters at a fraction of the salary Toby wants. So that'll see us sorted for the next 5-10 years, if Foyth also lives up to his potential.

Sounds very much like a deliberate leak from either side to put pressure on the other.

My thoughts exactly - just part of the negotiation. I dont think this is at all done and dusted yet. TA will want to stand his ground to some extent as its his last major contract, whilst we won't want to pay more than needed.

I also agree with Billy Yiddo though in that I'd be disappointed if after the stadium expansion we're not able to pay one of our best say 5 or 6 players £150k per week. If going forward we can only pay say £100k - £120k to our top players, then the club will struggle to progress beyond a team which is challenging for the top 4 to one which is regularly competing for and winning trophies

If TA does go, hopefully he'd go abroad and if we could get £50m for him and sign another Sanchez, then we'd be ok

Our turnover should increase to a sufficient enough level with the new stadium that a 150k is manageable for our top tier talent.

Personally i doubt the figures being banded around and would be dissapointed if we aren't able to offer a key member of the first XI that sort of money

But then the second tier talent will want to maintain the gap. They won’t want an increase between what they and the top boys earn.

If you give to one, you have to give to all, to some extent.

I think we should do everything in our power to strike a deal and keep him at the club. He is one of Europe's finest defenders and from a playing perspective is almost irreplaceable. Yes his wage demands will likely instigate a round of wage creep but this is almost inevitable anway IMO. If not Alderweird then someone else will trigger it. If we don't want our best players leaving we are going to have to pay more than we do, and if those quoted figures are accurate then the figure he is asking for is not even as much as he could get somewhere else. Pay him more to sign a new contract and get his best years. We can flog him for some rediculous figure in a few years when the market has gone even crazier as we all know it will.

I think we should do everything in our power to strike a deal and keep him at the club. He is one of Europe's finest defenders and from a playing perspective is almost irreplaceable. Yes his wage demands will likely instigate a round of wage creep but this is almost inevitable anway IMO. If not Alderweird then someone else will trigger it. If we don't want our best players leaving we are going to have to pay more than we do, and if those quoted figures are accurate then the figure he is asking for is not even as much as he could get somewhere else. Pay him more to sign a new contract and get his best years. We can flog him for some rediculous figure in a few years when the market has gone even crazier as we all know it will.

I think that wage creep is inevitable, to a degree but it has to be kept within bounds and cannot exceed an amount that we can match for similar level players. It sounds like Alderweireld is asking for more than this.

I'd keep him next season and let him go the following for £25m. I think there's benefit in not changing too much for our first season at NWHL.

I think that wage creep is inevitable, to a degree but it has to be kept within bounds and cannot exceed an amount that we can match for similar level players. It sounds like Alderweireld is asking for more than this.
That's fair. The question then moves is what is considered reasonable for a player of his ability. This is not easy to gauge as the market is so bonkers, often rewarding mediocrity with unwarranted wages. I'm sure there is a compromise to be made and I think his value will appreciate in the next few years anyway.

That's fair. The question then moves is what is considered reasonable for a player of his ability. This is not easy to gauge as the market is so bonkers, often rewarding mediocrity with unwarranted wages. I'm sure there is a compromise to be made and I think his value will appreciate in the next few years anyway.

I don't think that we can look at it like that because there are plenty of worse players getting paid more at other clubs. I think that we need to work out what our ceiling wage is, one that we can afford to pay all of the best players, and not go above that.

The tv money has gone down and he's approaching 30.

£110k sounds like a very reasonable offer. Massive bonus on top for winning silverware.

I don't think that we can look at it like that because there are plenty of worse players getting paid more at other clubs. I think that we need to work out what our ceiling wage is, one that we can afford to pay all of the best players, and not go above that.
That was my (badly made) point. There are almost no similar level players to compare against (bar Vertonghen!), so the industry comparison approach does not help all that much. As you say it is determined by what we can afford and how we value him. For me he is in the top one of the 10 players in the world for his position, so I say push the boat out a little if that is what it takes.

Last edited:
The tv money has gone down and he's approaching 30.

£110k sounds like a very reasonable offer. Massive bonus on top for winning silverware.
29-31 is a defender's prime years I would say. Let his be at Spurs.
Edit: He's 28. Even more reason to sign him up.

I won't get into the TV money debate but as a club our revenue is increasing and if this team stays at near the top will continue to do so. Alderweireld is one of the main reasons for that IMO.

Last edited:
He’s asking for triple the wages (he was on low wages of £60k so he is owed to be fair), if everyone starts wanting their wage tripled then we’re screwed.

Like you say, wage increases are inevitable but they have to be sustainable and manageable.

I think he needs to realise who gambled on him when he was dropped and shipped out on loan by the last big team that he went to. If we have offered 110k a week and good bonus then he is clearly not happy staying here and wants to go to a bigger club for much bigger wages. I don't care what player it is, if it turns out to be greed anyone of them can be let go imo.

Back