• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Moussa Sissoko

I think he is inferior to every other player in the squad.

I think, when people are fit, his use is extremely limited. As stated, if he gets on the field it will likely be just to see out the last 10 minutes of a match, block up midfield. Like his only appearance in our recent big games.

I do not think he is a useful squad player. I think he is a player we are stuck with, whose only real use is as a defensive carrier - something we really dont need. Our defensive players are far better footballers than him, he is simply too limited.

Well he clearly is not the worse player in the squad. Otherwise poch wouldn' have used him so much.

But I'm not going get in to a circular discussion devoid of reason with you about this, let's leave that to Brexit thread ;). Negociations seem to be going well don't you think?

Devoid of reason? You see thats just un necessary. Ive explained my thinking clearly throughout this thread. More clearly than many a defender, who have evolved from arguing about Sissoko to arguing the myth of Sissoko thanks to his cult like status on here (utterly bizarre, but there you go)

Technically? As a footballer? I cant think of anyone worse in the squad.

He is, however, experienced and a superb athlete. As I have maintained, consistently, his use has only ever been a "make do" situation until better players are fit.

Pochs choice has effectively been play an absolute rookie or try to get something out of a £30m flop - the choice was never in doubt.

Devoid of reason? You see thats just un necessary. Ive explained my thinking clearly throughout this thread. More clearly than many a defender, who have evolved from arguing about Sissoko to arguing the myth of Sissoko thanks to his cult like status on here (utterly bizarre, but there you go)

He is, however, experienced and a superb athlete. As I have maintained, consistently, his use has only ever been a "make do" situation until better players are fit.

Pochs choice has effectively been play an absolute rookie or try to get something out of a £30m flop - the choice was never in doubt.

Devoid of reason was lighthearted that's why I put a ;) and referenced Brexit.

I'm sure you would want it to be. The thing is his manager has more faith in him than most of the fans so it is unlikely.

The guy is a squad player. When everyone is fit he is unlikely to get on the pitch. But when injuries force changes, or rotation is needed, he will play.

Just because he is not as good as Dembele or Dier doesn't mean he is the clown some of you try to make him out to be.

Just a useful squad player. That' pretty much all of us that have defended him have been saying from the start.

Agree with both of these, but haters have got to hate.

You called me mad for trying to engage with what Poch was saying about what Sissoko offers and provide some sort of explanation - don't try and play the hurt card!!

It's nice to see that you seem to be acknowledging he may have some sort of value defensively though! What I was trying to get at with the long posted that ended our debate last time was that being a part of a Poch system, knowing when to press, when to hold, how to position yourself, how to recognise danger and not lose concentration, these aren't just things that any player can do. This is not even getting on to why his physical attributes are completely relevant in a system like ours, but to say that his experience, and his ability to fulfill a selfless team role has actually been a pretty useful asset. Yes he is a squad player, yes West Ham may pick him up this summer, and yes, he shouldn't play if Dembele and Winks are both fit because they have both the defensive nous and more ability on the ball. But Sissoko is not a world away from Dier or Wanyama on a technical level to be made out to be the clown or laughing stock that a lot of people like to paint him as.

Anyway, I found the link from Cartilage Free Captain that I was getting at before. It offers a pretty decent breakdown of the differences in ability of playing Poch's system between Dier and Mason. Dier clearly showing he totally gets it. Mason, despite Poch loving him, was probably great on the offensive side of the system but not good enough to play in a pivot because he was a naturally attacking player. I would argue that one of the reasons Sissoko has been valuable, is because Poch knows he can trust Sissoko to be on the pitch and enable the system to function without letting obvious gaps appear (something that happened a lot in Poch's first season). If Sissoko was both a clown with the ball and not valuable defensively, Onomah would still be here for sure, and he would certainly offer more on the ball. But I'd say the reason Sissoko is still here, is because he can be more trusted to make the system function, and ultimately make sure our attacking players get the opportunity to do what they can do.

Anyway, the link is here, and the pertinent text is below: https://cartilagefreecaptain.sbnati...r-tactical-analysis-pochettino-press-midfield as I said, it's just something that shows that it isn't so easy to just be on the pitch in a Poch system. It requires a lot of concentration, decision making capability, an ability to recognize and prevent danger, and that is something that I feel fairly confident Sissoko has, otherwise he would be offering no value at all (being bad defensively and not someone who is a primary ball player).

''
At first glance, Dier does nothing remarkable here. You can briefly see him tracking Memphis Depay early in the clip. After Blind breaks the press with a smart pass to Schneiderlin, Depay drops deep and Dier decides not to follow him.

Though Dier doesn't record any kind of defensive statistic, this play illustrates a positional intelligence that simply wasn't there last season for Tottenham. Dier recognizes the situation is not advantageous for pressing. Ashley Young is streaking up United's left wing, and Kyle Walker is out position, having been a part of the press higher up the pitch. Dier may also be aware that Depay is skillful enough to turn him in the open field, or play a one-two with a United player. United end up playing the ball to their right wing, and the attack fizzles out as Spurs get back in numbers.

In contrast, Spurs handled similar situations poorly last season. Here, Ryan Mason gets turned by Steven N'Zonzi, resulting in a Stoke break.

Part of being a good central midfielder is knowing when to press, and when to back-off. On this evidence, Dier gets it."

Poch recently mentioned that Mason understood what was required of him VERY quickly, right from the off, when Poch first arrived.

Sissoko is a poor footballer.

I can't believe Moura actually decided to go through with scoring his debut goal for Spurs knowing that a 'slide rule pass' from Sissoko would be credited as the principal assist and forever taint his glorious finish.

I'm sure many of the Sissoko critics on here would have let the ball run through then turned and pointed at Sissoko as if he'd done something wrong. Then waited for a more fashionable player to furnish the desired pass.

Life must be great to be 14 again.

Mentally.

Sorry, but if he's prepared to pull on that white shirt then he gets my support from when he crosses the white line one way until crossing it the other.

Tbf, considering all the negativity he gets, on here and during games, I like the fact that he doesn't keep on having a go. Give me a tryer over a "I'm to good for this" any day.

Poch recently mentioned that Mason understood what was required of him VERY quickly, right from the off, when Poch first arrived.

Sissoko is a poor footballer.

Cheers for this. Nice how you can fail to engage completely with anything I’ve said and so easily draw it back to ‘Sissoko is a poor footballer’, full stop, end of discussion.

Mason clearly got Poch’s system from an offensive point of view but was replaced at the first chance because he wouldn’t get into the team in one of the attacking 4 positions and he wasn’t a defensive player. This is not to knock Mason, just to say that where we had space in the team wasn’t ideal for him.

The guy is a squad player. When everyone is fit he is unlikely to get on the pitch. But when injuries force changes, or rotation is needed, he will play.

Just because he is not as good as Dembele or Dier doesn't mean he is the clown some of you try to make him out to be.

Just a useful squad player. That' pretty much all of us that have defended him have been saying from the start.
I don't think there are anyone arguing that he's more than a squad player. Though some of the claims about how much Pochettino trusts him have been a bit strange, when it's seemed obvious that he's only been playing because of injuries.

The question for me is more, is he good enough to be that squad player for us? Has he done enough to remain in that role past the summer transfer window?

One factor is his age meaning that there's little potential for improvement. His squad role could potentially filled by a younger player with loads of potential on less money.

More importantly his actual performances haven't been up to scratch. On the level of, or worse than, other squad players we've been unhappy with in recent years. Some of which we've let go already.

You called me mad for trying to engage with what Poch was saying about what Sissoko offers and provide some sort of explanation - don't try and play the hurt card!!

You were hyper-hypothesising to the degree it was as if you were trying to argue only you and Poch could see the imaginary special job Sissoko was doing.

Thats why I called you mad, you had lost it.

It's nice to see that you seem to be acknowledging he may have some sort of value defensively though!

This here is exactly why I stopped posting. At no point have I not acknowledged Sissoko has done a job defensively, and his personal best use to us is in this capacity. Not once have I said otherwise. Yet, all the same, your argue from a position that Im at some kind of extreme.

What I was trying to get at with the long posted that ended our debate last time was that being a part of a Poch system, knowing when to press, when to hold, how to position yourself, how to recognise danger and not lose concentration, these aren't just things that any player can do.

I dont think Sissoko is especially competent in this respect. Its at a passable level, by the teams standards, when he is really on point. Even then, though, his best defensive games are when he is doing the Palacios/Parker game of JUST DEFENDING, as soon as he starts venturing box-to-box the cracks appear.

This is not even getting on to why his physical attributes are completely relevant in a system like ours, but to say that his experience, and his ability to fulfill a selfless team role has actually been a pretty useful asset. Yes he is a squad player, yes West Ham may pick him up this summer, and yes, he shouldn't play if Dembele and Winks are both fit because they have both the defensive nous and more ability on the ball. But Sissoko is not a world away from Dier or Wanyama on a technical level to be made out to be the clown or laughing stock that a lot of people like to paint him as.

Technically Sissoko is not even on the same planet as Dier and Wanyama, its not even close. They have more in game ability than he does, without question.

His physicality is his best asset, possibly his only real asset - again - nothing that has been denied.

I dont believe he has been an especially useful asset. I think, as I always have, he has been a "lets make the best of a bad situation" solution. A "make do". Nothing more. A useful asset would be, well, useful. Would be used more readily. Not only in an absolute pinch.

Anyway, I found the link from Cartilage Free Captain that I was getting at before. It offers a pretty decent breakdown of the differences in ability of playing Poch's system between Dier and Mason. Dier clearly showing he totally gets it. Mason, despite Poch loving him, was probably great on the offensive side of the system but not good enough to play in a pivot because he was a naturally attacking player. I would argue that one of the reasons Sissoko has been valuable, is because Poch knows he can trust Sissoko to be on the pitch and enable the system to function without letting obvious gaps appear (something that happened a lot in Poch's first season). If Sissoko was both a clown with the ball and not valuable defensively, Onomah would still be here for sure, and he would certainly offer more on the ball. But I'd say the reason Sissoko is still here, is because he can be more trusted to make the system function, and ultimately make sure our attacking players get the opportunity to do what they can do.

Anyway, the link is here, and the pertinent text is below: https://cartilagefreecaptain.sbnati...r-tactical-analysis-pochettino-press-midfield as I said, it's just something that shows that it isn't so easy to just be on the pitch in a Poch system. It requires a lot of concentration, decision making capability, an ability to recognize and prevent danger, and that is something that I feel fairly confident Sissoko has, otherwise he would be offering no value at all (being bad defensively and not someone who is a primary ball player).

''
At first glance, Dier does nothing remarkable here. You can briefly see him tracking Memphis Depay early in the clip. After Blind breaks the press with a smart pass to Schneiderlin, Depay drops deep and Dier decides not to follow him.

Though Dier doesn't record any kind of defensive statistic, this play illustrates a positional intelligence that simply wasn't there last season for Tottenham. Dier recognizes the situation is not advantageous for pressing. Ashley Young is streaking up United's left wing, and Kyle Walker is out position, having been a part of the press higher up the pitch. Dier may also be aware that Depay is skillful enough to turn him in the open field, or play a one-two with a United player. United end up playing the ball to their right wing, and the attack fizzles out as Spurs get back in numbers.

In contrast, Spurs handled similar situations poorly last season. Here, Ryan Mason gets turned by Steven N'Zonzi, resulting in a Stoke break.

Part of being a good central midfielder is knowing when to press, and when to back-off. On this evidence, Dier gets it."

Sissoko is still here because he was such absolute garbage last season we couldnt offload him. Dont go making the mistake of thinking its because Poch saw some special utility in him.

Just as, had our primary midfielders been fit to play all season Sissoko wouldnt have seen the light of day. We all know it, which kind of negates any real argument in his favour.

Anyway, what you describe above? It does more to show the gap between Dier and Sissoko than Sissoko and Mason, IMO.

Sissoko isnt anywhere near to Diers level. He is Mason in that same argument. The only real difference is he is stronger/faster/fitter than Mason.

Neither are anywhere close to Dier.

You were hyper-hypothesising to the degree it was as if you were trying to argue only you and Poch could see the imaginary special job Sissoko was doing.

Thats why I called you mad, you had lost it.

This here is exactly why I stopped posting. At no point have I not acknowledged Sissoko has done a job defensively, and his personal best use to us is in this capacity. Not once have I said otherwise. Yet, all the same, your argue from a position that Im at some kind of extreme.

I dont think Sissoko is especially competent in this respect. Its at a passable level, by the teams standards, when he is really on point. Even then, though, his best defensive games are when he is doing the Palacios/Parker game of JUST DEFENDING, as soon as he starts venturing box-to-box the cracks appear.

Technically Sissoko is not even on the same planet as Dier and Wanyama, its not even close. They have more in game ability than he does, without question.

His physicality is his best asset, possibly his only real asset - again - nothing that has been denied.

I dont believe he has been an especially useful asset. I think, as I always have, he has been a "lets make the best of a bad situation" solution. A "make do". Nothing more. A useful asset would be, well, useful. Would be used more readily. Not only in an absolute pinch.

Sissoko is still here because he was such absolute garbage last season we couldnt offload him. Dont go making the mistake of thinking its because Poch saw some special utility in him.

Just as, had our primary midfielders been fit to play all season Sissoko wouldnt have seen the light of day. We all know it, which kind of negates any real argument in his favour.

Anyway, what you describe above? It does more to show the gap between Dier and Sissoko than Sissoko and Mason, IMO.

Sissoko isnt anywhere near to Diers level. He is Mason in that same argument. The only real difference is he is stronger/faster/fitter than Mason.

Neither are anywhere close to Dier.

Yeah...I wasn’t hyper hypothesising and I wasn’t going mad. And I wasn’t saying it was only me and Poch that could see it. Anyone that knows a minuscule amount of anything about football at the top level would understand that a player must be adding some value, and I was trying my best to explain why.

I feel hurt now. Boo hoo.

And for the love of GHod, this is not an argument of something in the extreme. Repeatedly saying Sissoko is a squad player, that he isn’t as strong technically as his direct competitors, that he’s never really behind a 7/10 performance but that he offers some value defensively...none of these are extreme positions. I’m not even saying he is as good defensively as Dier - what I am saying is that being part of a Poch system requires a level of mental capability and understanding, decision making etc that I think it is reasonable to assume Sissoko has. Again, this is not extreme.

And for the love of GHod, this is not an argument of something in the extreme. Repeatedly saying Sissoko is a squad player, that he isn’t as strong technically as his direct competitors, that he’s never really behind a 7/10 performance but that he offers some value defensively...none of these are extreme positions. I’m not even saying he is as good defensively as Dier - what I am saying is that being part of a Poch system requires a level of mental capability and understanding, decision making etc that I think it is reasonable to assume Sissoko has. Again, this is not extreme.

How long have you been on this board? it always is extremes, no one excepts the middle position.

e.g. saying Defoe was good, somehow equaled Keane was brick (that went on for years)
JJ was a spacegoat for a decidedly mediocre team (even more obvious in hindsight)
Saying Sissoko has played a role even when admitting the guy isn't good enough or acknowledging anything good he does makes you a Sissoko apologist and defender.

Laughable that people can't accept the guy has played almost 2 seasons for us, never fudging hides, never is lazy, does a job. Yet all people want to do is brick on him, we didn't draw at Rochdale because Sissoko was brick, has bad technique, etc. we drew at Rochdale because Winks, Toby, Rose, Son, Llorente had bricky games.

Feels like I like in clickbait/WUM land half the time, the Sissoko conversation is tiresome.

How long have you been on this board? it always is extremes, no one excepts the middle position.

e.g. saying Defoe was good, somehow equaled Keane was brick (that went on for years)
JJ was a spacegoat for a decidedly mediocre team (even more obvious in hindsight)
Saying Sissoko has played a role even when admitting the guy isn't good enough or acknowledging anything good he does makes you a Sissoko apologist and defender.

Laughable that people can't accept the guy has played almost 2 seasons for us, never fudging hides, never is lazy, does a job. Yet all people want to do is brick on him, we didn't draw at Rochdale because Sissoko was brick, has bad technique, etc. we drew at Rochdale because Winks, Toby, Rose, Son, Llorente had bricky games.

Feels like I like in clickbait/WUM land half the time, the Sissoko conversation is tiresome.
He's not very good though, is he?

;)

I don't think there are anyone arguing that he's more than a squad player. Though some of the claims about how much Pochettino trusts him have been a bit strange, when it's seemed obvious that he's only been playing because of injuries.

The question for me is more, is he good enough to be that squad player for us? Has he done enough to remain in that role past the summer transfer window?

One factor is his age meaning that there's little potential for improvement. His squad role could potentially filled by a younger player with loads of potential on less money.

More importantly his actual performances haven't been up to scratch. On the level of, or worse than, other squad players we've been unhappy with in recent years. Some of which we've let go already.

I don't think anyone has gone to an extreme to say Poch trusts him, simply that, Poch had other options. The idea that the club couldn't have loaned Sissoko out anywhere at all and got a cheaper replacement in (or simply trusted Onomah) is just silly. Of course they could. But they didn't. That means Poch must have trusted him to some extent. And in any case, people only say 'well Poch must trust him to play him' because the actual extreme is people calling him a donkey, a clown, and a player on a different planet technique wise to the rest of our squad while adding no defensive value.

His role absolutely could have been filled by Onomah, or any other young player that we could have signed because - if Sissoko holds such low value, and is such a net negative contributor as people would believe - he would be gone. We wouldn't be able to sell him for a price we agreed with but we would absolutely be able to loan him to a team we thought would play to his strengths, and if he played well we would have a good chance of getting some decent money back. That is a very, very easy scenario to happen, but it didn't happen.

And the debate always goes like this: 'Sissoko's rubbish', 'no he isn't, other players were worse than him today anyway', 'yeah but those players have played well before', 'well Sissoko has played well, and he's been doing his job', 'no he hasn't, he is incapable', 'no he isn't capable, he adds no value'. And it is on that point where it just breaks down, because any attempt to explain his role or get into any remote level of tactical discussion beyond the bare basics just isn't possible here. But logically, again, we could have very easily loaned him out and boosted his value that way, IF - as people are so keen to keep pointing out - he is the utterly garbage player that he supposedly is. Poch wouldn't have risked a big season with someone so, so bad taking up a place in his squad. And that's the problem with extremes, it's logically indefensible, and it isn't coming from anyone actually defending him.

Yeeeeeeeah, been here a while, and lived through all that. And Carrick before it when he first got into the team.

There must be a way to have some higher level football discussion that isn't so binary, that is a little more interesting, maybe with ex or current pros / coaches involved. The standard of football discussion globally among fans is very likely so, so basic in comparison to the realities of the detail that the elite level goes through.

Yeah...I wasn’t hyper hypothesising and I wasn’t going mad. And I wasn’t saying it was only me and Poch that could see it. Anyone that knows a minuscule amount of anything about football at the top level would understand that a player must be adding some value, and I was trying my best to explain why.

I feel hurt now. Boo hoo.

Your really were, and I told you at the time. You had managed to narrow your argument to Sissoko doing some highly specialised job only you and Poch could possibly understand. It was what ifs stacked on what ifs. And so, of course, that was time to tap out and let you get on with it.

Sissoko is a poor footballer. Isnt anywhere near good enough. And has only been used because it has been a choice between £30m player who must be good for something, or pick someone out of the youth team.

It really shouldnt come as a surprise the 28 year old multi million pound asset was chosen.

Just as it shouldnt be a surprise he has been promptly dropped now that other players are fit. As predicted.

He had a shot to show us he could do more. He never came close. I fully expect him to be a forgotten man by the end of the season (injury permitting) and sold off ASAP.

Now this is just silly, and frankly I resent it following responses to me.

Ive openly admitted to Sisoskos strengths, when he has been ok, when he has made good actions. If you want to talk about middle positions - mine is the less extreme. Ive recognised him as a package and made my feelings on his worth known.

He isnt good enough, it shows, he will be dropped when we can drop him. Its been consistent, and hardly earth shatteringly negative or extreme.

And heres the thing - when he legitimately does something brick, and it gets pointed out - there is a stampede of defenders to basically shout down and harass the person who pointed out the thing that he actually just did. The person who also will have pointed out faults/bad actions in other players as well, but those ones dont warrant the tirade in response.

If you want to see where the extremes lie, its in his fan club.

Back