• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

Think its madness not to pay the man.

How much will his replacement cost?

Him going to Chelsea/United/Liverpool would be an absolute disaster

I don’t think there is a chance in hell of us selling him to a side over here

If he won’t sign the deal we’re offering then sell him abroad for big money

That article finishes off saying Vertonghen is in a similar situation regarding his contract but didn't he sign a new 4 year deal recently?

The key thing though is it’s not just Toby you end up paying those wages to, Alli, Eriksen, Jan, Son, etc. Etc. Will all then want parity. It’s like the article says if they pay Toby that it risks upsetting the dressing room.

The key thing though is it’s not just Toby you end up paying those wages to, Alli, Eriksen, Jan, Son, etc. Etc. Will all then want parity. It’s like the article says if they pay Toby that it risks upsetting the dressing room.

Our turnover should increase to a sufficient enough level with the new stadium that a 150k is manageable for our top tier talent.

Personally i doubt the figures being banded around and would be dissapointed if we aren't able to offer a key member of the first XI that sort of money

Oh well, no issue with our stance or his attitude, he’s not got many years left so has to maximise his earnings and we are in our current state because of our financial prudence.

He’s a great cb no doubt but we have proven we can spend wisely and slot players in, we’ll be fine.

If you want to be one of the big sides you need to pay the big wages, they could all get that money elsewhere with ease.

Sissoko being on 90k upsets them more I would imagine!

It's not just paying the man. As the article points out it's paying the entire squad.

Another £50k p/w is roughly £2.5m a year. Paying that much extra for 6 first team players is £15m a year. If that means paying another 7-8 players another £25k p/w that's another £10m a year.

So somewhere in the region of £25m per season to "pay the man" isn't unrealistic as a back of the napkin estimate imo.

Add a £50m transfer fee and that's £75m to spend to replace a 29 year old who has had some injury problems and keep our wage structure more under control. With some of the success we've had in the market in recent years that's a lot of potential quality. He's obviously a brilliant 29 year old who likely has several years left at the top level. I definitely want to keep him. But that's a huge financial decision for Levy and Pochettino and imo not as easy as just paying the man.

Keeping our wage structure under control has been very important for our success. With the new stadium we should be able to raise our wages, but continuing to keep it under control will be important.

And that’s the key to how we have been successful even if jealous fans of other clubs don’t like it

None of our players are poorly paid compared to most sides in the world

The numbers Over here are massively screwed and the bubble will burst over time

Did Jan and eriksen not just sign new contracts last summer?
If he wants to go he will go. He's been here long enough to know what he can expect, if he wants more he will have to move, and he knows it.

This'll be heresy to some but I would not be against selling him in the summer. We are never going to get more for him than we would this year and whether we like it or not, those transfer funds would come in handy for reinvesting in the squad. If he is dithering over a new contract, I think that it is far better to sell whilst we are in control of the situation than let it drag out to a point where we are not. I would not be concerned about selling to another PL club if the fee was exorbitant.

This could be all leakage to push the deal through, always a level of too and throw to it all. All comes from the point, how do people know about this happening? Someone has leaked it, with what intention? To force a hand.

Back