• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Broadband - changing providers.

StephenH

David Ginola
Thinking of going from Virgin to BT for fibre broadband and phone. Sticking with Sky for TV.
Not sure of comparative speeds.
Thoughts?

On the off chance I'm in TW13 postcode.

Thinking of going from Virgin to BT for fibre broadband and phone. Sticking with Sky for TV.
Not sure of comparative speeds.
Thoughts?

On the off chance I'm in TW13 postcode.
if you are semi happy with your current provider try and get the best deal you can with the other and call your current one up to see if they can match it. Its a ball ache to change and they are all rubbish if something goes wrong. Remember if you go from Virgin you will need to have a landline so if you don't have one already make that a consideration.

I have been with Sky and BT - both ok, no real problems and getting roughly the speeds they advertise. BT now - £32 for 52mb tied in for 2 years so they can't up the prices.

if you are semi happy with your current provider try and get the best deal you can with the other and call your current one up to see if they can match it. Its a ball ache to change and they are all rubbish if something goes wrong. Remember if you go from Virgin you will need to have a landline so if you don't have one already make that a consideration.

I have been with Sky and BT - both ok, no real problems and getting roughly the speeds they advertise. BT now - £32 for 52mb tied in for 2 years so they can't up the prices.

My only hesitation is that Virgin is all fibre where as BT is the old copper network as far as I'm aware, even for 'Infinity' from the exchange which quite far away from my house.

Did you BT deal include any call time?

My only hesitation is that Virgin is all fibre where as BT is the old copper network as far as I'm aware, even for 'Infinity' from the exchange which quite far away from my house.

Did you BT deal include any call time?
Never had Virgin so cant comment on that, went to get it when I moved from Sky and it turned out the dude who did my drive just cut the wire and I didn't fancy digging it up just to get virgin.

Unlimited usage

Up to 52Mb download speed

Unlimited BT Wi-Fi minutes

Online storage with BT Cloud

BT Parental Controls, BT Web Protect & BT Virus Protect

Unlimited weekend calls

Unlimited calls to UK landlines from midnight Friday to midnight Sunday, for up to an hour

Inclusive calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers from midnight Friday to midnight Sunday, for up to an hour

Get BT privacy and BT 1471 at no extra cost

Never had Virgin so cant comment on that, went to get it when I moved from Sky and it turned out the dude who did my drive just cut the wire and I didn't fancy digging it up just to get virgin.

Unlimited usage

Up to 52Mb download speed

Unlimited BT Wi-Fi minutes

Online storage with BT Cloud

BT Parental Controls, BT Web Protect & BT Virus Protect

Unlimited weekend calls

Unlimited calls to UK landlines from midnight Friday to midnight Sunday, for up to an hour

Inclusive calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers from midnight Friday to midnight Sunday, for up to an hour

Get BT privacy and BT 1471 at no extra cost

BT Sport is being offered for free which is a saving of £15 I get that on the my sky TV platform

BT Sport is being offered for free which is a saving of £15 on the my sky TV platform
As you are happy my starting point would be to call Virgin to see if there is anything they can do - look up any deals they are offering new customers as a reference and try to talk to the correct people rather than the wally on the phone.

Saying that I did the same last time with Sky and they didn't budge hence moving to BT.

As you are happy my starting point would be to call Virgin to see if there is anything they can do - look up any deals they are offering new customers as a reference and try to talk to the correct people rather than the wally on the phone.

Saying that I did the same last time with Sky and they didn't budge hence moving to BT.
Done that they where beaten by BT especially when take the cost of BT Sport off.
My problem is the hassle factor.

Virgin is much faster than BT in almost all areas due to the bricky old copper bits you mention.

BT's fibre offering is much more reliable than their ADSL so there's no issue there.

I mainly stick with Virgin because I refuse to be forced to pay line rental for a telephone line I neither want nor use.

Virgin is much faster than BT in almost all areas due to the bricky old copper bits you mention.

BT's fibre offering is much more reliable than their ADSL so there's no issue there.

I mainly stick with Virgin because I refuse to be forced to pay line rental for a telephone line I neither want nor use.

Virgin yearly line rental will cost me £146 prepaid (that is with a £50 discount ) + and broadband £15 p.m.
We are old and still use a land line!
But no hassle :)

Went to BT from Sky...getting better speeds off BT,not lagging at all,i live near the city centre if that makes a difference.

Also use cashback sites if you are moving,you can get some excellent deals off BT,sometimes upto £90,plus you could get a prepaid card off BT of £120/£150,(theres an offer with these amounts happening now)

I moved from Virgin to BT when I moved house a couple of years ago (I cannot get Virgin where I now live). Obviously no where near as much of a ballache as changing supplier in the same property but BT have been pretty good and it is a load cheaper than my old Virgin contract. I'm on the unlimited Infinity deal locked in like @r-u-s-x. I have moved my mobiles to BT and got a pretty good deal on that because I am a broadband customer too.

Back