• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

My brother-in-law is Spanish, from a family of Real Madrid fans. Came back from a visit there recently and said their fans laugh at reports Harry Kane is moving to Real. At least not anytime soon. But there's a consensus that Bale should be moved on. They've gone sour on him because of his frequent injuries.

If he was available to Spurs for strictly a transfer fee, would you have him back and what price would you consider sensible?

I'd have him back in a heartbeat but given his age and injury record, I wouldn't want us to pay much more than £30m. Real wouldn't accept that and other clubs would pay more.

Just before you posted this I had the same exact thought: that's it's done, but will be announced in the summer. Don't know why. It just came to me out of the blue.

I think maybe because we've been very interested for a couple of years, but there's been nothing aggressive or public, while our rivals appear to know it would be fruitless. It has the vibe of a cordial gentlemanly agreement, like our transfers with Ajax have become.

Comes from a radio interview, the full transcript looked speculative at best - Im not sure Id let myself get too excited on this one...

200w.gif

I'd have him back in a heartbeat but given his age and injury record, I wouldn't want us to pay much more than £30m. Real wouldn't accept that and other clubs would pay more.
Depends how badly they want him off the payroll, although it would mean maintaining whatever he's on now.

I agree with the sentiment of this post. But at the same time, if he's a success the difference between that fee and even twice that is small enough not to worry about. The real costly thing is signing players that aren't successful, almost regardless of the fee. The cost of on field failure is massive. As is the opportunity cost of not signing someone that would make us stronger.

Depends a bit on how we see his injury record. Has he been unlucky, or is he actually this injury prone? Do we think our medical and fitness team can do something different that would help him? Also depends a bit on his motivation. How would he see his role under Pochettino? Would he be ready to work his socks off every game? Or would he see himself as the superstar above everyone else for us to build our team around. Would he accept some rotation and resting with determination and hard work?

I think he's one of very few players we could could potentially sign that would make our already very good strongest 11 better. If we want to challenge for big titles that might be necessary. And for when he's inured we already have top notch cover/competition.

Big decision for Pochettino and Levy if a move is at all possible. Might just be that United or someone offer Pogba money and a wage bump and we're never in contention.

The more I think of it ... the less I want bale.

I honestly think his injury record is not worth taking the risk for. Great player on his day but I would not take the risk due to his excessive wages.

Can see utd desperate enough to offer him 500k a week or whatever sanchez is on.

Jose Bourinho will surely ruin him. Good for us.

A fit Bale for the right fee would always be worth signing but their not gonna selll him for that kind of money and If their selling the clubs that over pay will be all over it

I agree with the sentiment of this post. But at the same time, if he's a success the difference between that fee and even twice that is small enough not to worry about. The real costly thing is signing players that aren't successful, almost regardless of the fee. The cost of on field failure is massive. As is the opportunity cost of not signing someone that would make us stronger.

Depends a bit on how we see his injury record. Has he been unlucky, or is he actually this injury prone? Do we think our medical and fitness team can do something different that would help him? Also depends a bit on his motivation. How would he see his role under Pochettino? Would he be ready to work his socks off every game? Or would he see himself as the superstar above everyone else for us to build our team around. Would he accept some rotation and resting with determination and hard work?

I think he's one of very few players we could could potentially sign that would make our already very good strongest 11 better. If we want to challenge for big titles that might be necessary. And for when he's inured we already have top notch cover/competition.

Big decision for Pochettino and Levy if a move is at all possible. Might just be that United or someone offer Pogba money and a wage bump and we're never in contention.

I agree with what you are saying and my thoughts on the fee were about balancing the risk.

If we got him fit and available for the big games, I think that he could be the difference between CL qualification and the title. Having him, Son, Lamela, Ali and Moura fighting it out for places alongside Kane and Eriksen would give us some real options. Bale would also be an option as a false 9, if we wanted to give Kane a rest.

I was thinking yesterday about Bale in a Poch pressing side. He could be devastating. He's big and strong, knows how to defend and if he forced a mistake, has the speed to get away and pose an instant goal threat.

I'm off to calm down now.

A fit Bale for the right fee would always be worth signing but their not gonna selll him for that kind of money and If their selling the clubs that over pay will be all over it

He's unlikely to remain fit for a longer period, but United are happy to pay over the odds to boost their brand. If Pogba really is unhappy they'll need another big name this summer.

He's unlikely to remain fit for a longer period, but United are happy to pay over the odds to boost their brand. If Pogba really is unhappy they'll need another big name this summer.

I agree that is his most likely destination. United would match his salary at Real which we would never do.

Back