• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

Atletico Madrid won the league playing in the same league as Barcelona and Real Madrid! Money aside, they are arguably the two biggest clubs in the world, to finish above both of them is an incredible achievement. Monaco won the league instead of financially doped PSG. Dortmund won back to back titles, including a league and cup double. I'm not convinced those leagues are "much easier". Maybe physically the Premier League is tougher but it's such a subjective argument, ultimately I think it depends what you like. The Premier League is definitely the most entertaining and the most exciting league but I'm not convinced it is the best.

This isn't a "best" argument, that will always be subjective, it's a hardest statement, the grind and requirements of the PL are way beyond anything other European leagues experience.

Athletico had to better RM & Barca, no small feat, but the reality is that probably meant they had to improve their results against 3-4 teams vs. a "normal" season for them. The 15-18th placed teams in PL can beat/draw teams in top 6 with some regularity, doesn't happen in Spain, if it does its a once a 3 season shock. If the bottom placed teams rolled over for us every time, we probably would have won a title in the last two years.

Still think what Poch needs to do most urgently is sort out our first half in games. Too often we start slowly. We have conceded early goals to West Brom, Pool, and. two to Juve. Iirc in neither the PL or FA Cup have we actually WON a game where we have conceded the first goal. We got scrubby draws against West Brom, Watford, and Soton where we conceded first and actually lost to Chelsea, Man U, Emirates Marketing Project, Arsenal and Leiecester, where we conceded the first goal.

In my opinion, Poch still has to get this sorted as a matter of urgency if we are to be successful.

Still think what Poch needs to do most urgently is sort out our first half in games. Too often we start slowly. We have conceded early goals to West Brom, Pool, and. two to Juve. Iirc in neither the PL or FA Cup have we actually WON a game where we have conceded the first goal. We got scrubby draws against West Brom, Watford, and Soton where we conceded first and actually lost to Chelsea, Man U, Emirates Marketing Project, Arsenal and Leiecester, where we conceded the first goal.

In my opinion, Poch still has to get this sorted as a matter of urgency if we are to be successful.

We do seem to come alive in the second half. I'm sure poch is aware of it and should address this issue.

Conceding first goal in sub 10 minutes is typically a focus/concentration issue and I'm sure Poch is/will work on it.

Re the 2nd half issue, I'm not sure it's an issue as people see it (and I do get the tempo problem). My question is it as simple as teams try to match us, our workrate, our movement and simply tire in second half and we look better, i.e. we are just consistent, the other teams lift their level for a 45-60 minutes in an attempt to counter and eventually fade?

Conceding first goal in sub 10 minutes is typically a focus/concentration issue and I'm sure Poch is/will work on it.

Re the 2nd half issue, I'm not sure it's an issue as people see it (and I do get the tempo problem). My question is it as simple as teams try to match us, our workrate, our movement and simply tire in second half and we look better, i.e. we are just consistent, the other teams lift their level for a 45-60 minutes in an attempt to counter and eventually fade?

And I think to your point, our first halves will get better in the run in as they were last season, because teams will have knackered squads and ours will be kicking into gear. We'll start blitzing teams, getting out ahead, and then controlling the game from there.

Also, some of this is to do with in-game strategy. I think with Arsenal for example, the plan was to try and blitz them for the first 15, and if that didn't work, switch to a more controlled possession game for the rest of the first half. Then blitz them again for the second.

I think overall, we try and tire teams out through controlling possession in the first half of the season (as this is when those teams will most likely have fitness that can compete with ours) and we increase our tempo in the second half. And within those games, we control for 60 odd minutes before turning it on. It's a big shame that we let in silly goals vs WBA and Burnley but otherwise we are doing ok.

But you simply can't (usually ) give teams a goal start in games and then hope to beat them. Especially good teams, where we typically lose after going behind first. Even "lesser" teams like West Brom, Watford, Soton, Rochdale and Newport we can't actually beat after going behind. It is becoming a real issue.

We do seem to come alive in the second half. I'm sure poch is aware of it and should address this issue.

We vary the intensity of our pressing over the game. I am sure that it is a tactic to hold some back to push on in the second half when the opposition are tiring.

But you simply can't (usually ) give teams a goal start in games and then hope to beat them. Especially good teams, where we typically lose after going behind first. Even "lesser" teams like West Brom, Watford, Soton, Rochdale and Newport we can't actually beat after going behind. It is becoming a real issue.

Is that supposition?

We've been behind to Dortmund, Madrid, juventus and Liverpool this eason and not lost,;or are they not good teams?

So that's 5 games against the 4 I've quoted, that' not really "generally" is it?

You've missed the point. We haven't actually WON any of those games (except Dortmund).

And furthermore, we have failed to BEAT Newport, Rochdale, West Brom, Watford ans pd Soton after conceding the first goal.

This season - -chelsea at home, Emirates Marketing Project, Man U, Arsenal and Leicester away. Concede first and lose.

Juventus away, Liverpool away, Dortmund away. Concede first and come away with something. How do our results compare against other clubs? What about over a longer period?

My point was that we haven't WON ( with the exception of Dortmund which was partly a dead rubber wasn't it for them?)

We will lose some games, often we will concede first in those games. Your analysis needs to be a bit more comprehensive to show that there is something out of the ordinary to our performances or be something we should be concerned about.

Juventus away, Liverpool away, Dortmund away. Concede first and come away with something. How do our results compare against other clubs? What about over a longer period?

Again, none of them were WINS. We havent turned ANY game into a win THIS SEASON after going behind ( bar Dortmund's dead rubber).

Back