• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Tottenham vs Rochdale OMT ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this is confirmation bias or not, but in my head our second string never plays very well.

Anyone got a factual basis to back that up or deny it?

I'd expect them to be less fluid. We play an intricate game that requires players to be very aware of each others movement and play as a unit. I don't think it is helped that they only ever play in low priority games where their main priority is probably getting through without an injury (apart from Lamela who plays every game as if it was his last).

I'd expect them to be less fluid. We play an intricate game that requires players to be very aware of each others movement and play as a unit. I don't think it is helped that they only ever play in low priority games where their main priority is probably getting through without an injury (apart from Lamela who plays every game as if it was his last).

But shouldn't the main priority of fringe players be to prove their point that they should be worthy of a first team place not to simply get through the game without injury? The only one that even remotely looked like he was up for competing for a place in the first team was Moura. They should all be similarity motivated in any game they play in for a Spurs first team no matter what the competition or opposition.

But shouldn't the main priority of fringe players be to prove their point that they should be worthy of a first team place not to simply get through the game without injury? The only one that even remotely looked like he was up for competing for a place in the first team was Moura. They should all be similarity motivated in any game they play in for a Spurs first team no matter what the competition or opposition.

I think three of the starting players have fitness issues. Wanyama, Winks and Alderweireld are at that delicate stage where they need game time but don’t want to re-injure. It is a dilemma to deal with, which is why I was not entirely unhappy at all about the replay.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

You can certainly understand why players would be concerned about not picking up an injury on a newly laid turf like we played on Sunday or a ploughed field like at Newport.

You can certainly understand why players would be concerned about not picking up an injury on a newly laid turf like we played on Sunday or a ploughed field like at Newport.

Didn't seem to bother Moura.

I think three of the starting players have fitness issues. Wanyama, Winks and Alderweireld are at that delicate stage where they need game time but don’t want to re-injure. It is a dilemma to deal with, which is why I was not entirely unhappy at all about the replay.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I don't disagree with that and for that reason, like you, I am not unhappy with a replay - and would play largely the same team, except Lamela starting for Sissoko.

But that won't stop people from nominating teams with 8 or 9 changes in the future, a good team has chemistry and once you start changing the ingredients the formula changes and you rarely get the same results, but lets not logic or history get in the way of picking strange combinations.

That is too much sense for some.

I stayed away from commenting on this thread because the match was so disappointing. Do these players want to win a trophy?

This is a dissappointing result but not really surprised by this. This is another unconvincing performance in Cup matches under Pochettino. It is really embarassing that we almost got beaten by another lower league team and now forced to play the replay. Annoyingly, we are playing some terrible football in Cup matches since Pochettino took over. Remember, we were outclassed by mighty Wycombe at home last season before winning 4-3 and also needed replay to beat unknown Newport after coming so close to losing this season. Nowadays, we look capable of beating any team in PL/CL but look like can get beaten by any team in League Cup/FA Cup. It is clear Pochettino needs to change his mentality and approach if we want to win the FA Cup this season.

Credit to Moura and Kane for the goals but we didn't look like scoring apart from that. Pochettino has to take the large part of the blame as he picked the team and they couldn't lift their game. Also, the starting 11 lacked creativity and goal scorers. Son was our only known goal scorer and he had a poor game. We played much better after Lamela, Alli and Kane came on. In fact, all 3 of them was involved in our second goal. It was a good pass from Lamela to Alli who was brought down for the penalty scored by Kane. Moura did well to score on his full debut for us.

Our midfield badly lacked creativity in this match. It was not really surprising when you have Winks and Sissoko in midfield. Sissoko did assist the goal for Moura with an inch perfect pass but he really should be contributing more against lower league teams like Rochdale. Winks had a mixed match as he was partly at fault for their first goal. Moura looked promising with his runs and took the goal well.

Our defence were really disappointing in this match. Alderweireld looked rusty while Foyth was not composed enough as well. Thought we won't have problem keeping the clean sheet but we made Rochdale look like Barcelona at times. Winks was at fault for losing the ball which led to their first goal but our defence should have been more alert. Felt Vorm should have done better as the shot was near him. Alderweireld was clearly at fault for the second goal as his mis header set up the chance for them to score. It was really annoying to concede so late in the match.

The football gods are trying their best to help us win the FA Cup by giving us weak opponents but we are trying our best to throw it away yet again. Remember we used to get all the big teams in the early rounds of FA Cup but since last season we have managed to avoid all the big teams until the semi finals. Wish the players and Pochettino will put some effort in winning our first FA cup since 1991. The only good thing about having to play the replay is that it will force our league match at Palace to be played on Sunday afternoon, instead of Monday night. Always hate the night matches as it comes at a very inconvenient time of early morning (3am/4am) here in Asia. Let's hope we will play much better in the replay to beat Rochdale and progress to the FA Cup Quarter Finals.

Reactions: DTA
I think Rochdale deserve more credit than they're getting from some ok here. They played well, made it difficult for us.

No doubt on a good day for us we should be playing better and winning. But we rotated, had a lot of players lacking match fitness and only looked average.

People talk about the team underestimating Rochdale. But it seems to me that many fans are more guilty of underestimating Rochdale. We know lower league teams are more than capable of making these games difficult for top teams.

I think Rochdale deserve more credit than they're getting from some ok here. They played well, made it difficult for us.

No doubt on a good day for us we should be playing better and winning. But we rotated, had a lot of players lacking match fitness and only looked average.

People talk about the team underestimating Rochdale. But it seems to me that many fans are more guilty of underestimating Rochdale. We know lower league teams are more than capable of making these games difficult for top teams.
They certainly didn't fluke it. Draw was a deserved result.

This is a dissappointing result but not really surprised by this. This is another unconvincing performance in Cup matches under Pochettino. It is really embarassing that we almost got beaten by another lower league team and now forced to play the replay. Annoyingly, we are playing some terrible football in Cup matches since Pochettino took over. Remember, we were outclassed by mighty Wycombe at home last season before winning 4-3 and also needed replay to beat unknown Newport after coming so close to losing this season. Nowadays, we look capable of beating any team in PL/CL but look like can get beaten by any team in League Cup/FA Cup. It is clear Pochettino needs to change his mentality and approach if we want to win the FA Cup this season.

Credit to Moura and Kane for the goals but we didn't look like scoring apart from that. Pochettino has to take the large part of the blame as he picked the team and they couldn't lift their game. Also, the starting 11 lacked creativity and goal scorers. Son was our only known goal scorer and he had a poor game. We played much better after Lamela, Alli and Kane came on. In fact, all 3 of them was involved in our second goal. It was a good pass from Lamela to Alli who was brought down for the penalty scored by Kane. Moura did well to score on his full debut for us.

Our midfield badly lacked creativity in this match. It was not really surprising when you have Winks and Sissoko in midfield. Sissoko did assist the goal for Moura with an inch perfect pass but he really should be contributing more against lower league teams like Rochdale. Winks had a mixed match as he was partly at fault for their first goal. Moura looked promising with his runs and took the goal well.

Our defence were really disappointing in this match. Alderweireld looked rusty while Foyth was not composed enough as well. Thought we won't have problem keeping the clean sheet but we made Rochdale look like Barcelona at times. Winks was at fault for losing the ball which led to their first goal but our defence should have been more alert. Felt Vorm should have done better as the shot was near him. Alderweireld was clearly at fault for the second goal as his mis header set up the chance for them to score. It was really annoying to concede so late in the match.

The football gods are trying their best to help us win the FA Cup by giving us weak opponents but we are trying our best to throw it away yet again. Remember we used to get all the big teams in the early rounds of FA Cup but since last season we have managed to avoid all the big teams until the semi finals. Wish the players and Pochettino will put some effort in winning our first FA cup since 1991. The only good thing about having to play the replay is that it will force our league match at Palace to be played on Sunday afternoon, instead of Monday night. Always hate the night matches as it comes at a very inconvenient time of early morning (3am/4am) here in Asia. Let's hope we will play much better in the replay to beat Rochdale and progress to the FA Cup Quarter Finals.

Mate, you understand your point of view doesn't match the facts

- We haven't lost to a lower level team in the FA Cup in decades?
- I assume "another unconvincing performance in cups" is cherry picking domestic vs CL cup?
- The team had Vorm, Toby, Rose, Trippier, Wanyama, Son & Llorente in it, all of those players have played in CL games this season. Hardly Poch's fault they almost all had a mare in the same game.
- The only clear "miss" I see from that game re Poch's strategy was I would have started Lamela (and I have no insight into his fitness, etc. and we know Eriksen & Dier had to be rested)

You might actually have had an argument in previous seasons where I think Poch heavily favored the PL, but as I mentioned previously, the mere fact that Kane, Dele & Lamela were on the bench kills the we aren't serious narrative.

Not sure how you can defend Pochettino as we have been poor in almost all the domestic Cup matches since he took over. We were even poor in Europe until last season but has improved greatly in CL this season. For some reason, Pochettino is only getting the best out of the team in the league and CL but unable to do so in the League Cup/FA Cups. Remember, we almost lost to a lower division team(Newport) in the FA Cup for the first time in over 100 years ! From his media reports, it is clear Pochettino doesn't rate League Cup and FA Cups highly. No wonder all the players find it hard to lift their game for these Cup matches.

Not sure how you can defend Pochettino as we have been poor in almost all the domestic Cup matches since he took over. We were even poor in Europe until last season but has improved greatly in CL this season. For some reason, Pochettino is only getting the best out of the team in the league and CL but unable to do so in the League Cup/FA Cups. Remember, we almost lost to a lower division team(Newport) in the FA Cup for the first time in over 100 years ! From his media reports, it is clear Pochettino doesn't rate League Cup and FA Cups highly. No wonder all the players find it hard to lift their game for these Cup matches.

Don't you know, we've all got to TRUST Poch. Get with the programme ! (Wink, Smiley Face!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back