• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Tottenham vs Rochdale OMT ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you will see more of the first team as we progress. That being said, if we're deep in the CL and still fighting for a place in the top 4, it may end up being a case of prioritizing CL/Top-4 again. But I would be more confident of our second string doing better as the season progresses, given all these replays we've had have given them a chance to get more match fit and gel a bit.

A lot of our supposed second string are all fringe first team players. Alderweireld, Trippier, Rose, Wanyama, Winks, Son, Sissoko, Lamela have all played and started many important first team games and have actually been considered part of our best players. I think we need to get this idea of second string out of our head. Only Kane, Eriksen, Dele, Dembele, Vertonghen, Lloris are probably nailed on starters in our first XI. We just need these players all getting minutes.

A lot of our supposed second string are all fringe first team players. Alderweireld, Trippier, Rose, Wanyama, Winks, Son, Sissoko, Lamela have all played and started many important first team games and have actually been considered part of our best players. I think we need to get this idea of second string out of our head. Only Kane, Eriksen, Dele, Dembele, Vertonghen, Lloris are probably nailed on starters in our first XI. We just need these players all getting minutes.
I agree. I meant second string as of right this moment. Doesn't mean that there aren't first team players in that second string, but given their injuries and match fitness they're second string right now.

I agree in one sense, but in another it is fair to say that the side which started at rochdale is not our first 11. No Lloris, Tripps, Verts, Davo, Davies, Eriksen, Dembele, Dier, Alli or Hazza. Sonny is the one exception. I think we need upgrades in a few places still squad-wise to fully push for several trophies, and still think Poch is working some miracles TBH.

Not defending the guy and too lazy to go back to count the threads ...

My perception is the majority of player conversation on this thread post game (not all by you) is Sissoko focused ... vs. the majority of other players who had a bricker day at office.

Thats not my perception at all.

If Ive seen criticism of Sissoko its been justified. And yes, I have seen some - just as Ive seen criticism of half the team. ALL justified.

But, when the S word comes up, oh my - theres always someone ready to jump in...

I agree in one sense, but in another it is fair to say that the side which started at rochdale is not our first 11. No Lloris, Tripps, Verts, Davo, Davies, Eriksen, Dembele, Dier, Alli or Hazza. Sonny is the one exception. I think we need upgrades in a few places still squad-wise to fully push for several trophies, and still think Poch is working some miracles TBH.
Tripps played.

But I get your point. Still I should say that for a long long time we've finally got two competitive line-ups and a very good squad depth. Overall we've got 5 FBs, 4 CBs, 2 DMs, 2 box-to-boxes, Sissoko and several options in attacking third which can interchange their positions in most cases. Our second, weaker line-up just needs time to gel and probably a better finisher upfront.

Love the optimism from you lot. We’ll lose the semi to Chelsea through a dodgy frank lampard goal, just like we did last year, and the year before that, and the year before that...
Hopefully one of our boogiest opponents passes to eternity loosing against Leicester. Chelsea has a nightmare of a schedule in the next month.

Tripps played.

But I get your point. Still I should say that for a long long time we've finally got two competitive line-ups and a very good squad depth. Overall we've got 5 FBs, 4 CBs, 2 DMs, 2 box-to-boxes, Sissoko and several options in attacking third which can interchange their positions in most cases. Our second, weaker line-up just needs time to gel and probably a better finisher upfront.

All we need is like for like cover for sissoko and we're sorted.

Tripps played.

Ah yes, he did indeed -my bad!!! And yes, I agree with the rest of your reply. Tis why perhaps this replay is OK for us too?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Ah yes, he did indeed -my bad!!! And yes, I agree with the rest of your reply. Tis why perhaps this replay is OK for us too?
Yeah, I also think that this replay isn't so bad as it was against Newport. We've got a fully fit squad now, better schedule and need to provide Moura/Lamela/Winks/Toby/Foyth with some more competitive football. Also we hold in minds Harry and Clive Allen's record ;)

The thing is, Rose is one of two in that backline you'd call a "senior professional" so it is not enough to do what he's coached to do. He has to read the situation as it unfolds. That's what you want experienced defenders to do. A quick look behind as the play unfolds will tell him Wanyama's on a walkabout towards the ball and that Son (who is the most culpable IMO) are nowhere, at which moment he has to make a decision. Even one step back puts doubt into the attacker as he is forced to make a decision WHERE to play the ball as opposed to having the decision made for him. EXPERIENCED defending there gives a much better chance of the moment passing without danger. Rose made it easy IMO, albeit he was left in it by our midfield. Watch Hill's run. If Rose just checks his movement and holds the space between both players, Hill would be in doubt. Instead, Rose hurtles about.

I have coached/my son is pro coach, and whilst on paper you are not wrong, in the game situation I believe you are letting Rose (a senior pro) off far too easily.

Of course, I think Toby has caused the whole collapse with a shocking piece of movement. He moves into an area he is simply not required to go, leaving the knock-on behind him. IF he makes that move, he MUST WIN HIS CHALLENGE/HEADER!!!! Thus for me it was a systemic collapse. The player who escapes all responsibility is Foyth, because as the junior he IS entitled to follow coaching protocol and cover Toby. I will go further and say that hopefully people now understand why we are in no rush to pay Toby 110k a week. This is not his first mistake of the season, it is his second injury-prone season, and our future lies with younger. Personally-speaking, if he wanted to head to Spain I'd let him in the summer, providing we can get the players we want in first. Otherwise, he remains but we don't pay him 110k.

I agree that the goal was primarily Toby's fault. He simply has to win that header decisively and certainly not knock it into the one area where we are most vulnerable. He has not looked at all assured this season and particularly poor since his injury and comeback. I am not sure his head is quite right. A bit like Luka when Chelsea came calling. However, I would put his pay on a par with Lloris and Kane if he will agree a contract extension. Hopefully this would help him get back to last season's form. If it doesn't, I am sure we would be able to get a decent price for him - so either way, it is a win -win for us.

Two of those were two of our best performances of the season and two of them were the second string in our lowest priority competition. You sometimes gets runs like this but the results themselves tell you little.

Our 2nd string should be able to beat league one and league two teams with ease really even when all not fully fit, we didn't look up for it those games. Some people are saying it's great to have a replay so the squad can get game time but I'm not so sure, it messes with our preparation time for other games and doesn't give us a full week off like many other teams around us are having at the moment.

Our 2nd string should be able to beat league one and league two teams with ease really even when all not fully fit, we didn't look up for it those games. Some people are saying it's great to have a replay so the squad can get game time but I'm not so sure, it messes with our preparation time for other games and doesn't give us a full week off like many other teams around us are having at the moment.

I agree that they should be able to beat league one and two opposition, even allowing for fitness and it being a scratch side that has not played many competitive games together. As we saw last night, this is what happens in cup games sometimes.

I agree that they should be able to beat league one and two opposition, even allowing for fitness and it being a scratch side that has not played many competitive games together. As we saw last night, this is what happens in cup games sometimes.
Not sure if this is confirmation bias or not, but in my head our second string never plays very well.

Anyone got a factual basis to back that up or deny it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back