• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Fernando Llorente

The player who can famously only play in a 4-4-2? And who was struggling with our intelligent play 3 or so years ago?

His new found veganism wouldn't sit too well with Poch's conditioning requirements either

And father time has caught up with him also

The player who can famously only play in a 4-4-2? And who was struggling with our intelligent play 3 or so years ago?

His new found veganism wouldn't sit too well with Poch's conditioning requirements either
Where do you get the ‘only play in a 4-4-2’ thing from? I can remember watching Defoe play up front on his own for Sunderland to good effect. I remember one particular game where he gave our defence a bit of a going over despite feeding off of scraps. I wouldn’t have him back because he is too old now, but that is the only reason.

I think we sold Defoe the second time around to bring Soldado in.... what a ridiculous decision that was. Selling a fantastic goal scorer still with a few years left at the top level to bring in perhaps our worst signing ever.

Where do you get the ‘only play in a 4-4-2’ thing from? I can remember watching Defoe play up front on his own for Sunderland to good effect. I remember one particular game where he gave our defence a bit of a going over despite feeding off of scraps. I wouldn’t have him back because he is too old now, but that is the only reason.

I think we sold Defoe the second time around to bring Soldado in.... what a ridiculous decision that was. Selling a fantastic goal scorer still with a few years left at the top level to bring in perhaps our worst signing ever.

At the time we bought Soldado, Bale had committed (verbally) to another season at the club. Within two weeks of Soldado arriving, Bale's agent had been told by Madrid to push hard for the move "now" or it will never happen again/ "we won't be back"...this is stone-cold what happened. I said it at the time. Levy was heartbroken because he and Bale/Bale's family had a special relationship. It doesn't excuse Bobby's overall poverty, but he arrived believing he would be serviced by Bale, and then...well...errr...FWIW I would not have signed him and would not have moved JD along either! I remember when JD was "redesigned" as a player by SGE, I was appalled. It is one thing to add a string or two to the bow, it is quite another to suck the instinctive life/place seeds of doubt, in the head of a thoroughly instinctive finisher. I think SGE fudged JD for a few years with that chicanery myself...

Easy to say in hindsight

Soldado had a top record and Defoe looked to be waning

It was great money for defoe and IMO a fair price for soldado who just didn’t work out

If I was looking right now to buy a striker like Kane I’d got for Brereton from Forrest

He is still a kid and raw but he knows all the basics well and can play

Imagine getting a young striker with decent technique in to learn from Kane. Brereton or another young domestic league type who wouldn't mind playing second fiddle to Kane and there's still plenty of minutes available through our cups runs.

If I was looking right now to buy a striker like Kane I’d got for Brereton from Forrest

Imagine getting a young striker with decent technique in to learn from Kane. Brereton or another young domestic league type who wouldn't mind playing second fiddle to Kane and there's still plenty of minutes available through our cups runs.

I haven't seen much of him but he looked great in the few matches I have seen.

They'd get tinkled off and leave within 12-18 months. You need someone with no ambition left - a CF Vorm or Cudicini

Easy to say in hindsight

Soldado had a top record and Defoe looked to be waning

It was great money for defoe and IMO a fair price for soldado who just didn’t work out

I would be absolutely delighted if we brought in Brereton. It will be hard for us to sign any striker who is currently first choice at his club however, especially a player like Brereton who is likely to have plenty of suitors. It is why I suggested George Hirst, a player with probably even more talent than Brereton IMO, but one who's career needs a little restart after his contract stand off at Sheff Wed.

Batshuayi syndrome!
Why would we want any young 'promising' player who is be prepared to just sit on the bench.

I think the only way might be to go for someone very young, like Jann-Fiete Arp. We'd maybe then get 3-4 years out of him before he'd get fed-up, although it would likely set back his development in the long term.

They'd get tinkled off and leave within 12-18 months. You need someone with no ambition left - a CF Vorm or Cudicini

Which is what we signed when we brought in Llorente; problem is that, using your words, he plays as if he has 'no ambition left' . Getting in someone hungry is better in my view

I think the only way might be to go for someone very young, like Jann-Fiete Arp. We'd maybe then get 3-4 years out of him before he'd get fed-up, although it would likely set back his development in the long term.

You said above that you didnt want Brereton (18 years old) because he'd get tinkled off and leave within 12-18 months. Now you want us to sign this guy from Hamburg, who's also 18 but who you say might stay for 3-4 years....whats the difference?

You said above that you didnt want Brereton (18 years old) because he'd get tinkled off and leave within 12-18 months. Now you want us to sign this guy from Hamburg, who's also 18 but who you say might stay for 3-4 years....whats the difference?

I'd just assumed Brereton was a couple of years older, seeing as our academy forwards like Harrison and Loft are already 20.

I would be absolutely delighted if we brought in Brereton. It will be hard for us to sign any striker who is currently first choice at his club however, especially a player like Brereton who is likely to have plenty of suitors. It is why I suggested George Hirst, a player with probably even more talent than Brereton IMO, but one who's career needs a little restart after his contract stand off at Sheff Wed.

Not seen anything of Hirst but people who have seen him play think he has massive scope

The negative vibes around him IMO stem from him not signing the contract as much as anything

Back