• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Set Pieces

Near the end of the Poch book, he says something like "we weren't sure what training session to put on, so we decided to do something different and try a corner routine... we tried it about 10 times and didn't score much... then we tried it in the game (perhaps it was the last ever game at WHL???) and we scored from that corner... we also scored from a freekick that day" or something like that.

Amazing stuff. I will pre-empt Scaramanga's post about correlation<>causation.

Note also Lloris' interview earlier -
“We can even be more pleased because we scored from a set piece again,” said the captain. “We know the importance of that.
“We must score more goals from set pieces because we have the quality for the delivery and we have the size in the box too, with tall players.

SACRILEGE!

Near the end of the Poch book, he says something like "we weren't sure what training session to put on, so we decided to do something different and try a corner routine... we tried it about 10 times and didn't score much... then we tried it in the game (perhaps it was the last ever game at WHL???) and we scored from that corner... we also scored from a freekick that day" or something like that.

Amazing stuff. I will pre-empt Scaramanga's post about correlation<>causation.

Note also Lloris' interview earlier -
“We can even be more pleased because we scored from a set piece again,” said the captain. “We know the importance of that.
“We must score more goals from set pieces because we have the quality for the delivery and we have the size in the box too, with tall players.

SACRILEGE!

Lloris knows you know !

No no no.

Corners are entirely controllable events. It's just that professional footballers only choose to control one in every 30 of them.
Not entirely. What if a sudden gust of wind moves the ball, or it hits a pigeon (or seagull or other winged creature)? There is also an opposition involved which is not a controllable element.

Corners have saved us in both our last two games. Without them we would have lost at Soton and severely damaged our top four prospects and we would now almost certainly be out if the FA cup in a humiliating giant-killing.

If that doesn't demonstrate the importance of corners, I don't know what will. Anything that can (and demonstrably has) given us a competitive advantage (however slight) should not be dismissed so lightly.

Someone finally put in a good cross from a corner.
It was a very average cross. Son flicked it very nicely to the back post. But the real piece of diamond brilliance that made the goal, was the fact nobody bothered to mark Harry Kane. So, so generous of them. He made it look easy because... it was so easy, just a tap in.

Corners have saved us in both our last two games. Without them we would have lost at Soton and severely damaged our top four prospects and we would now almost certainly be out if the FA cup in a humiliating giant-killing.

If that doesn't demonstrate the importance of corners, I don't know what will. Anything that can (and demonstrably has) given us a competitive advantage (however slight) should not be dismissed so lightly.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/the-texas-sharpshooter

We must have been practicing them.

We must have been practicing them.
Speaking of practicing set pieces, after the game Mourinho said they knew all about the way Spurs kick-off, they talked about it and how to stop it (win the header, track runners like Eriksen).

And in the commentary of that goal (see the Jan thread) the co-commentator says it was played for, you could tell the way Kane sprinted, Jan dropped back, Alli and Eriksen as support runners... it's great when you practice set pieces isn't it!?

Accuracy = reaching one of our players first?

I think it's delivery over them being attacked properly.

Accuracy = reaching one of our players first?

I think it's delivery over them being attacked properly.
It's virtually impossible to tell the difference between a good corner poorly attacked and a poor corner.

Plenty of people complain about corners not beating the first man - what if the plan was for one of our players to cut across that first man but they got held/blocked/fouled? Happens all the time.

Back