• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Tottenham vs Rochdale OMT ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pardew and Rodgers probably do indeed have coaching badges and as a result I am confident that both know a huge amount more than you about football as a result.

You blaming Rose for the goal instead of Wanyana was an example of your lack of knowledge here. The two players not doing their jobs for Rochdale's equaliser were Wanyama and Son, Wanyama's player then scored. While you couldn't see that, instead just blaming the player who ended up being the closest to the goalscorer, I would be astounded if Pardew and Rodgers made that same mistake.
That wasn't a lack of knowledge that was a lack of watching.

When I looked up, Rose was leaving his man to go and mark someone who wasn't very dangerous - a terrible decision on his part unless he knew there was cover behind him.

Other mistakes had to have been made to get there, but Rose could have easily saved the situation with some decent decision making. There's no way Poch will have told Rose to rigidly stick to a tight back 4 no matter what the circumstances, that would be of no use at all.

There's no amount of training or experience that will allow halfwits to understand situations more than their betters. Sherwood and Shearer both have coaching training and experience so you'll have to do a lot more than just say the words "coaching experience" to make a good argument. You'll need to demonstrate the the person with coaching experience is of reasonable intelligence, that those training them also were and that they were trained in a manner relevant to modern football - especially if that experience has come in the UK. There are simply far too many halfwits reaching relatively high levels in football for that training and experience to be of value in itself.

I would have liked to have seen a stronger lineup yesterday but make no mistake about it, the team we put out yesterday should have been good enough to beat Rochdale. We've been lacklustre against Newport and now Rochdale so Poch has to shoulder some responsibility for that as its his job to make sure the team are prepared mentally and physically and are up for every game.

A replay is a bit of a pain but I'd take it over being knocked out. We haven't won a trophy in 10 years and the FA cup represents our most realistic opportunity for silverware this season in my opinion. We've won a trophy in every decade since the 50s IIRC so would be a shame if we can't win something either this year or in 2019 and that streak comes to an end.
I thought that several of the players out there demonstrated that they are in need of football and it was therefore the right team to play.

Sloppy goals to concede today. They shouldn't have really troubled us at all. It looks clear that some of the players look ring rusty. Moura was superb, really exciting debut.

Alderweireld and Wanyama look way short of where Poch needs them to be right now however you wonder how they would perform if we were playing Arsenal at home tomorrow in the first XI. Hope its not a motivation problem.

Also Poch has to realise that we will always need one of Eriksen or Lamela playing in the starting XI no matter who we play for balance. When we lack players who make us tick then we will suffer to break down even poor sides. I would say try and include one of Lamela or Eriksen and one of Moura or Son.

I wonder whether it is worth playing Son up top in the replay with Moura, Lamela and Sissoko behind.

I wonder whether it is worth playing Son up top in the replay with Moura, Lamela and Sissoko behind.
I see a lot of potential in that trio. Lamela a key ingredient as one of the few in this squad to want the ball and use it. Lamela, Eriksen and Dele always seem to make a big difference against lower league team such is their superior technique on the ball.

That wasn't a lack of knowledge that was a lack of watching.

When I looked up, Rose was leaving his man to go and mark someone who wasn't very dangerous - a terrible decision on his part unless he knew there was cover behind him.

Other mistakes had to have been made to get there, but Rose could have easily saved the situation with some decent decision making. There's no way Poch will have told Rose to rigidly stick to a tight back 4 no matter what the circumstances, that would be of no use at all.

There's no amount of training or experience that will allow halfwits to understand situations more than their betters. Sherwood and Shearer both have coaching training and experience so you'll have to do a lot more than just say the words "coaching experience" to make a good argument. You'll need to demonstrate the the person with coaching experience is of reasonable intelligence, that those training them also were and that they were trained in a manner relevant to modern football - especially if that experience has come in the UK. There are simply far too many halfwits reaching relatively high levels in football for that training and experience to be of value in itself.
In that case why did you not call out Foyth as well as Rose? After all, he also left his man to go towards a player closer to the ball, after Alderweireld moved towards our right. The player that Foyth went to pick up as Toby moved across was no more likely to receive the ball than the player that Rose went across to take.

Wanyama's player scored. Yes Rose probably could've stopped that if he had chosen to ignore the player in the middle, but a slightly higher cross than the one delivered that clears Alderweireld's head then could've presented the player in the middle with a free header at goal from a nice central position. It is a choice that Rose has to make in a split second, perhaps he could've held his position and covered Wanyama's player instead but he is no more at fault for that goal than Trippier, Alderweireld or Foyth and FAR less at fault than Wanyama.

Sherwood and Shearer do indeed have coaching experience and, again, just as with Pardew and Rodgers, I am confident that both know a lot more about setting up a football team than you do, just as I would imagine you might know a little bit more about setting up servers than they do. IMO your failure to call out Wanyama (and Son) as Spurs' main players at fault for Rochdale's spare men and therefore their equaliser demonstrates this. If Wanyama and Son track their players then Rochdale do not have an overload in our box and Rochdale cannot score from anything other than a ridiculously good contested header. With the benefit of ignorance It is easy to call out Rose as at fault as the player who ends up closest to the goal scorer. It is why I don't like the fact that people with no coaching qualifications are allowed to coach school teams and kids teams in the UK.

I said it after Newport. And i will say it again. I'm happy for them, they deserved it they earned it.

Put them away with the same team at Wembley and best result for everybody.
Agreed. I thought Rochdale were a breath of fresh air yesterday. They didn't sit deep, hit it long and try to kick us off the park (although I have no idea how their defender didn't get at least a booking for the one on Winks in the first half). Instead they looked to play decent passing football, combined with good energy and tenacity. I can only think that their poor league position is a result of their previously awful pitch that hasn't allowed them to play their football. The performance they put in fully deserved a replay. There aren't too many teams who would pick themselves up and go again having gone 2-1 down in the 88th minute (or whatever it was).

Pretty much the same team can play at Wembley in the replay I think.... Looks like most of them would benefit from an extra game anyway and they can attempt to put right their failure yesterday.

What's the situation with tickets for the replay? Anybody know when they go on sale?

I'm over from Australia and would love to go along.

What's the situation with tickets for the replay? Anybody know when they go on sale?

They will be very easy to get hold of mate.... I would even keep a look out for some very cheap corporate offers. I think they were offering Newport at only £35+ VAT.

I'd imagine end of the week/weekend for non-Members.
First, ST holders in tiers 1 and 2 will have the chance to buy their seats.
Then (assuming top tier is closed for this one) top tier STs will have the next chance to buy.
After that Members,
Then General Sale. (Just did a quick search on my inbox, and - apart from clearly needing to do some email housekeeping - there's an email re the Newport replay where tickets went on General Sale on the Saturday before).

I'd guess the club will announce the timings later on today. Don't think you'll have any problems with tickets. There'll be plenty available.

Jesus, as many pages for the Rochdale match thread as the win over Arsenal and more pages than the United win.

Disappointed with the result because it’s the most we deserved and the manager and players deserve some criticism for it. That said, I’m still hugely positive about them and am looking forward to the rest of the season. My son is 5 and he’s just getting into it now. He doesn’t know how fudging good he has it. When I was growing up, I had the Sugar years and mid table mediocrity at best every season.

COYS.

In that case why did you not call out Foyth as well as Rose? After all, he also left his man to go towards a player closer to the ball, after Alderweireld moved towards our right. The player that Foyth went to pick up as Toby moved across was no more likely to receive the ball than the player that Rose went across to take.

Wanyama's player scored. Yes Rose probably could've stopped that if he had chosen to ignore the player in the middle, but a slightly higher cross than the one delivered that clears Alderweireld's head then could've presented the player in the middle with a free header at goal from a nice central position. It is a choice that Rose has to make in a split second, perhaps he could've held his position and covered Wanyama's player instead but he is no more at fault for that goal than Trippier, Alderweireld or Foyth and FAR less at fault than Wanyama.
Have a look at the image below - this is just as the players start to move to cover those who are unmarked.

Untitled.png

Alderweireld has to move forward because the player in front of him can receive the ball to feet and needs covering. So he moves forward enough to block any run if the ball comes in to feet and still gives him a chance of blocking the header (which he does to some extent). Foyth has to cover forward when he sees Alderweireld go (not knowing he will stop his run) because if Alderweireld goes all the way to the man in front, the one in front of Foyth would be able to receive the ball to feet.

That leaves Rose with a choice - mark a man who can only receive the ball to his head or cover one or both of the two players who are about to be completely free in the box and able to receive the ball to feet. He shouldn't have been left in that position, but if he expects to be first choice at a club at our level he should be making better decisions.

Sherwood and Shearer do indeed have coaching experience and, again, just as with Pardew and Rodgers, I am confident that both know a lot more about setting up a football team than you do,
:p That's a good one.

just as I would imagine you might know a little bit more about setting up servers than they do.
I'm sure I do. I'd also rather employ an intelligent beginner than a trained fool to assist me.

IMO your failure to call out Wanyama (and Son) as Spurs' main players at fault for Rochdale's spare men and therefore their equaliser demonstrates this. If Wanyama and Son track their players then Rochdale do not have an overload in our box and Rochdale cannot score from anything other than a ridiculously good contested header.
I've agreed that Rose shouldn't be left alone there - I didn't call them out because I wasn't watching very carefully and didn't see who left them. In fact, if you'd asked who was still on the pitch at that point I'd have struggled to tell you.

What I did see when the commentator got all excited and I looked up, was Rose getting dragged inside when it was the least good choice of all the ones he had - not a rare occurrence for him.

With the benefit of ignorance It is easy to call out Rose as at fault as the player who ends up closest to the goal scorer. It is why I don't like the fact that people with no coaching qualifications are allowed to coach school teams and kids teams in the UK.
No, that's because you value halfwits training halfwits over natural intelligence - I prefer the opposite. Obviously, the right people being trained in the right manner by the right people is a positive. But there are too many halfwits (and I'm being generous by half there) involved in football, especially in the UK, for that training and experience to have any merit by itself. What worth is a badge Tim Sherwood is bright enough to earn?

Last edited:
I don't think that it is likely but we are a better team than the Chelsea side that won the CL in 2012 and the Liverpool team that won it in 2005.

The club's priority is clearly finishing in the top four. Getting further in the CL is great for the club's profile and helps fill the coffers, sadly, I think that the FA Cup is now just one for the fans.

I don't disagree with that but we haven't won a trophy in 10 years. Sooner or later we have to win a trophy with this team. I'm not saying Poch should prioritise the FA Cup over the CL and Premier League, far from it, but we have the squad to challenge on more multiple fronts now. No one knows what will happen in the next couple of years but it looks likely that Emirates Marketing Project will dominate the league for the foreseeable future. The FA Cup and the league cup represent our best chances of silverware.

Its no big drama to me.

We made what? 11 changes? Despite being much stronger "on paper", "on grass" that amount of change is something of a leveller.

We didnt play like a coherent team, we played most of the game rather disjointed, with only glimpses of things flowing.

Rochdale, at the same time, played very well. Their work rate was top notch and I was most impressed by their intentions. They were willing to take the game to us which made for a good match.

And they fully deserved the replay. Which, IMO, isnt the end of the world for us - we clearly have a number of players that could use the minutes, it will be a good opportunity for that.

Performances varied, to be expected I guess.

I thought Llorente was awful. Son was having one of his completely off days. Sissokos technique was shocking, and regularly shown up by the 21/22 year old league 1 counterparts in front of him. Rose was poor, until the end where he started getting his brick together...

On the other hand, I like Foyth. Not perfect, but there is something about him I really enjoy, and Im really excited about his development. Great to see Winks back, even if he wasnt at his best. Trippier was a real leader for most of the game, and the only one consistently trying to make things happen and take it to Rochdale. Moura, not fit or in sync yet, but how exciting was he? Especially impressed with all the second balls/headers he was winning in our half. And Lamela, playing like a man possessed at the minute - really has the bit between his teeth.

Everyone else was just kind of average really.

Best result for a couple of reasons..
Football
Rochdale put up a good fight, so fair play to them.
Spurs
To say that certain members of the starting 11 was 'rusty' and that's being kind. Toby, Winks, Wanyama and Rose looked look way off first team 'match' fitness.
Llorente legs have gone, bless him he has seen better days he was more of an extra body to pass round AKA an 'obstacle'. So just play Son on his own because he also need to sharpen up.
Moura and Foyth were good to watch and Trippier and Sissoko did not let themselves down.

Last edited:
Thought for the day after.

Are we attempting to be the first team ever to win the FA Cup by winning every round at Wembley?

I hope not, as we'd fail in the attempt.
Our QF is away. And there's no replay in the QFs. Extra time and penalties if all even at full time.

Its no big drama to me.

We made what? 11 changes? Despite being much stronger "on paper", "on grass" that amount of change is something of a leveller.

We didnt play like a coherent team, we played most of the game rather disjointed, with only glimpses of things flowing.

Rochdale, at the same time, played very well. Their work rate was top notch and I was most impressed by their intentions. They were willing to take the game to us which made for a good match.

And they fully deserved the replay. Which, IMO, isnt the end of the world for us - we clearly have a number of players that could use the minutes, it will be a good opportunity for that.

Performances varied, to be expected I guess.

I thought Llorente was awful. Son was having one of his completely off days. Sissokos technique was shocking, and regularly shown up by the 21/22 year old league 1 counterparts in front of him. Rose was poor, until the end where he started getting his brick together...

On the other hand, I like Foyth. Not perfect, but there is something about him I really enjoy, and Im really excited about his development. Great to see Winks back, even if he wasnt at his best. Trippier was a real leader for most of the game, and the only one consistently trying to make things happen and take it to Rochdale. Moura, not fit or in sync yet, but how exciting was he? Especially impressed with all the second balls/headers he was winning in our half. And Lamela, playing like a man possessed at the minute - really has the bit between his teeth.

Everyone else was just kind of average really.

Think I was typing while you wrote this

My only slight thought on above. I think we have to stop critiquing Sissoko as we do with other midfield players. He is unique and not in good ways his only redeeming feature is his physicality. He is Sissoko.

Think I was typing while you wrote this

My only slight thought on above. I think we have to stop critiquing Sissoko as we do with other midfield players. He is unique and not in good ways his only redeeming feature is his physicality. He is Sissoko.

I think that is fundamentally an entirely fudged up an unacceptable thing.

The excuses for him have poured out all season, getting more and more extreme.

To arrive at a point where you effectively say he cannot be compared to other players says it all.

Im not interested in reviving the whole Sissoko debate, but lets be frank, he was shown up by youth players at a club 60+ places below us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back