• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Tottenham vs Rochdale OMT ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree completely.... if you look at the situation the player who scored isn't waiting at the back post, instead he runs in from a central position, as Wanyama completely gives up tracking him (and it wasn't a sprint he made to the back post either, he pretty much ambled his way in there).

If you watch the entire attack we have our four defenders deep which is ok. Trippier goes across to the player who crosses the ball. At this point they have three players in the box against Alderweireld, Foyth and Rose..... Toby gets attracted across to the oppositions left most player who makes a decent run and could receive a pass in from their crosser, Foyth see's Toby cover that run so moves across himself to take the player that Toby was covering, Rose then comes inside to take the player that Foyth was covering. This is what you would want your defence to do.

What you wouldn't want though is for your holding midfielder to decide that he can't be bothered to defend. Their goalscorer, who was running alongside Wanyama makes a run to the back post, Wanyama lets him do this even though we are already defending three on three in the box.

Just as poor as Wanyama in that opposition attack is Son, who has made no effort at all to try to cover the run of the opposition's full back (who also ends up in the box). In fact Rochdale end up pretty much 5 on 3 against us in our box in that attack.... with 1 minute to go in a game in which we are winning, which is shocking.
I agree. I also think Sissoko could have done better. Lamela and Trippier had the right side fairly well covered, but then Sissoko decides to join them and leave his central midfield spot. Then he decides to stand off the Rochdale wide man and was caught completely out of position.

Had he been in position he too could have tracked a runner, but instead he's all the way out on the right. At least if you leave your position you have to use the advantage that creates when overloaded on that side. Get close to the opponent, try to make a difference. Not just stand off in cover.

bricky goal to concede, in a game of several below par performances. We'll get another chance at home and it shouldn't damage our season.

According to The Grauniad the replay could help Rochdale survive for three years. Well done us.

First Newport, now this. Perhaps we should register as a charity. We'll be on the crowd funding emails afterwards: "Dear Premier League football fan...lower league professional clubs are struggling and in desperate need of investment and re-development. Recently, Tottenham Hotspur graciously offered the use of their stadium in order to help out 2 such clubs. With your support we can make this a key part of our strategy to help revive these ailing institutions. Thank you"

Sloppy goals to concede today. They shouldn't have really troubled us at all. It looks clear that some of the players look ring rusty. Moura was superb, really exciting debut.

Alderweireld and Wanyama look way short of where Poch needs them to be right now however you wonder how they would perform if we were playing Arsenal at home tomorrow in the first XI. Hope its not a motivation problem.

Also Poch has to realise that we will always need one of Eriksen or Lamela playing in the starting XI no matter who we play for balance. When we lack players who make us tick then we will suffer to break down even poor sides. I would say try and include one of Lamela or Eriksen and one of Moura or Son.

Rose did exactly what a player should do and what (I would imagine) Pochettino coaches him to do. The defence moves in a unit. if a player goes towards the ball then the rest of the defence shift over. The player that scored was Wanyama's, Wanyama was alongside him but gave up on tracking the run. Had Wanyama tracked that run then there is practically no way that the opposition could've scored from that attack. Rose did exactly the right thing in covering the central player who was left unmarked by Foyth. This is where having some coaching knowledge is useful Scara as you then pick out the players who really cost you goals through poor defending.

I would imagine that Pochettino will be absolutely fuming at both Wanyama and Son after that game. Both had abandoned their defensive duties with us being only a minute away from the win.
:p The old coaching one again. Alan Pardew has coaching badges doesn't he? Brendon Rodgers?

As someone who spent years being coached as a left back, I can tell you that moving as a unit is great when everyone is in position and doing their jobs, when you're the last man over and everyone else has fudged up, it all comes down to assessing the risk and decision making.

Rose has been playing long enough to know that an aerial threat is at best a tenth of the threat of a ball to feet. If he knew about the other two men over (and I'm not convinced he did, because getting sucked in is a habit of his) then he made the wrong decision. Had he picked the right man, I'd have backed him every time to stop the goal.

Yes them two gamed against Newport really had an adverse affect on our performances in the 'important' games.
They might have - that's the point of risk Vs reward.

We could have got injuries, we could have had Kane injured. If that happens in a League match, a CL match or the finals of a domestic cup that's one thing. It's entirely different risking them against cloggers in an earlier round of the cup.

What's also worrying is 5 successive away draws now, need to pick up our away form.

Two of those were two of our best performances of the season and two of them were the second string in our lowest priority competition. You sometimes gets runs like this but the results themselves tell you little.

:p The old coaching one again. Alan Pardew has coaching badges doesn't he? Brendon Rodgers?

As someone who spent years being coached as a left back, I can tell you that moving as a unit is great when everyone is in position and doing their jobs, when you're the last man over and everyone else has fudged up, it all comes down to assessing the risk and decision making.

Rose has been playing long enough to know that an aerial threat is at best a tenth of the threat of a ball to feet. If he knew about the other two men over (and I'm not convinced he did, because getting sucked in is a habit of his) then he made the wrong decision. Had he picked the right man, I'd have backed him every time to stop the goal.
Pardew and Rodgers probably do indeed have coaching badges and as a result I am confident that both know a huge amount more than you about football as a result.

You blaming Rose for the goal instead of Wanyana was an example of your lack of knowledge here. The two players not doing their jobs for Rochdale's equaliser were Wanyama and Son, Wanyama's player then scored. While you couldn't see that, instead just blaming the player who ended up being the closest to the goalscorer, I would be astounded if Pardew and Rodgers made that same mistake.

Not going to win those comps are we? Best chance is FA cup

I don't think that it is likely but we are a better team than the Chelsea side that won the CL in 2012 and the Liverpool team that won it in 2005.

The club's priority is clearly finishing in the top four. Getting further in the CL is great for the club's profile and helps fill the coffers, sadly, I think that the FA Cup is now just one for the fans.

They might have - that's the point of risk Vs reward.

We could have got injuries, we could have had Kane injured. If that happens in a League match, a CL match or the finals of a domestic cup that's one thing. It's entirely different risking them against cloggers in an earlier round of the cup.

The same team again at home should easily be enough to beat Rochdale without having to risk Kane and co.

I would have liked to have seen a stronger lineup yesterday but make no mistake about it, the team we put out yesterday should have been good enough to beat Rochdale. We've been lacklustre against Newport and now Rochdale so Poch has to shoulder some responsibility for that as its his job to make sure the team are prepared mentally and physically and are up for every game.

A replay is a bit of a pain but I'd take it over being knocked out. We haven't won a trophy in 10 years and the FA cup represents our most realistic opportunity for silverware this season in my opinion. We've won a trophy in every decade since the 50s IIRC so would be a shame if we can't win something either this year or in 2019 and that streak comes to an end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back