• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Tottenham vs Rochdale OMT ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same old, same old.

Question, have we come back from a goal down to win any game this season?

Thankfully, the last minute goal wasnt their winner. We live to fight another day - by the skin of our teeth!
Not sure whether our glass is half full or half empty because we seem to be making a habit of going behind before coming back to draw level - that was the fifth time in our last eight.

Albeit this time we then took the lead before ending up all square.

Not easy being Llorente, when Sissoko gives him a pass from hell. Llorente gets the blame for missing the chance, made far tougher by Sissoko who refused to shoot and played brick pass instead.
He didn't shoot because Son gave him such a terrible pass that didn't give him the opportunity. Sissoko's ball to Llorente then could've been better (although Llorente made it look worse as he is so slow) but Sissoko was far less culpable than both Llorente and Son for us not scoring from that attack.

Surely Winks is the most to blame for that goal? You cannot lose the ball in that position with your own players pushing on.

Yep, criminal to give away possession in that position, it’s two things though, in the next phase if Toby had been paying attention it would have been easy to catch them offside.

Cannot lay that one on ROSE IMO..... Wanyama couldn't be bothered to track their scorer's run from outside the area.
Rose found himself trying to mark a player who was already marked, leaving a big left-back shaped hole for their scorer to stand free in?

Another game we don’t need, Pretty poor from a few this afternoon. They wanted it more than our lads.Sad to see Son play so poorly. Toby is miles off starting big games playing like that.
I'm not sure that I agree they 'wanted it more than us'. I thought our application was fine. We went in for tackles and played our football. Winks gifting them the opener then meant it was always going to be difficult. Conceding an equaliser right at the death was incredibly poor though.... we should've been good enough to just keep the ball after going 2-1 up.

Rose found himself trying to mark a player who was already marked, leaving a big left-back shaped hole for their scorer to stand free in?
I disagree completely.... if you look at the situation the player who scored isn't waiting at the back post, instead he runs in from a central position, as Wanyama completely gives up tracking him (and it wasn't a sprint he made to the back post either, he pretty much ambled his way in there).

If you watch the entire attack we have our four defenders deep which is ok. Trippier goes across to the player who crosses the ball. At this point they have three players in the box against Alderweireld, Foyth and Rose..... Toby gets attracted across to the oppositions left most player who makes a decent run and could receive a pass in from their crosser, Foyth see's Toby cover that run so moves across himself to take the player that Toby was covering, Rose then comes inside to take the player that Foyth was covering. This is what you would want your defence to do.

What you wouldn't want though is for your holding midfielder to decide that he can't be bothered to defend. Their goalscorer, who was running alongside Wanyama makes a run to the back post, Wanyama lets him do this even though we are already defending three on three in the box.

Just as poor as Wanyama in that opposition attack is Son, who has made no effort at all to try to cover the run of the opposition's full back (who also ends up in the box). In fact Rochdale end up pretty much 5 on 3 against us in our box in that attack.... with 1 minute to go in a game in which we are winning, which is shocking.

Last edited:
You’re right, I forgot about that chance, but broadly I thought he had some nice touches and felt like he was getting there. His performance didn’t anger me as much as Son’s, that’s for sure.
I agree that Son was worse than Llorente today, Wanyama was probably also worse than Llorente, who for me was our joint 3rd worst player with Alderweireld.

I disagree completely.... if you look at the situation the player who scored isn't waiting at the back post, instead he runs in from a central position, as Wanyama completely gives up tracking him (and it wasn't a sprint he made to the back post either, he pretty much ambled his way in there).

If you watch the entire attack we have our four defenders deep which is ok. Trippier goes across to the player who crosses the ball. At this point they have three players in the box against Alderweireld, Foyth and Rose..... Toby gets attracted across to the oppositions left most player who makes a decent run and could receive a pass in from their crosser, Foyth see's Toby cover that run so moves across himself to take the player that Toby was covering, Rose then comes inside to take the player that Foyth was covering. This is what you would want your defence to do. What you wouldn't want though is for your holding midfielder to decide that he can't be bothered to defend. Their goalscorer, who was running alongside Wanyama makes a run to the back post, Wanyama lets him do this even though we are already defending three on three in the box. Just as poor as Wanyama in that opposition attack is Son, who has made no effort at all to try to cover the run of the opposition's full back (who also ends up in the box). In fact Rochdale end up pretty much 5 on 3 against us in our box in that attack.... with 1 minute to go in a game in which we are winning, which is shocking.
I agree that we were left short by our midfield, that was shocking.

Rose set up in the right position marking the right man. When Foyth gets dragged forwards, Rose has the choice of closing Foyth's man ( who can't get the ball to feet because Foyth is close enough still in front) or marking the two men becoming free on his side of the box.

As he has done for most of his career, with the ball on the other wing he gets sucked in too far and ball watches instead of being aware of what's around him. Either way he was leaving someone free, but given where he was it was a terrible choice to get dragged in like that.

I agree that we were left short by our midfield, that was shocking.

Rose set up in the right position marking the right man. When Foyth gets dragged forwards, Rose has the choice of closing Foyth's man ( who can't get the ball to feet because Foyth is close enough still in front) or marking the two men becoming free on his side of the box.

As he has done for most of his career, with the ball on the other wing he gets sucked in too far and ball watches instead of being aware of what's around him. Either way he was leaving someone free, but given where he was it was a terrible choice to get dragged in like that.
Rose did exactly what a player should do and what (I would imagine) Pochettino coaches him to do. The defence moves in a unit. if a player goes towards the ball then the rest of the defence shift over. The player that scored was Wanyama's, Wanyama was alongside him but gave up on tracking the run. Had Wanyama tracked that run then there is practically no way that the opposition could've scored from that attack. Rose did exactly the right thing in covering the central player who was left unmarked by Foyth. This is where having some coaching knowledge is useful Scara as you then pick out the players who really cost you goals through poor defending.

I would imagine that Pochettino will be absolutely fuming at both Wanyama and Son after that game. Both had abandoned their defensive duties with us being only a minute away from the win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back