• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

Definitely looks like he has thrown his toys out and is not wanting to stay

No he won't "throw his toys" as you put it, he will just get the best deal he can at this time in his carrier.
He will be looking to the future with football and of course his family in mind.

No he won't "throw his toys" as you put it, he will just get the best deal he can at this time in his carrier.
He will be looking to the future with football and of course his family in mind.

A professional (did say previous comment with tongue in cheek pal)

Well he was awful today, nowhere near the level needed for Arsenal or Juventus games so Poch was 400% correct not picking him, he’s a long way off the 1st XI on that showing.

Definitely - arguably at fault for both the goals - a poor line for the first and poor header for the second

Definitely - arguably at fault for both the goals - a poor line for the first and poor header for the second
He was at fault for neither.... First goals Winks is MASSIVELY to blame. As soon as he gave the ball away there we were in trouble.

Second goal Wanyama fails to track his runner. Alderweireld makes a poor header as he was dragged across by their free player on the right side of our box so he then wasn't in the best position to defend against the player he was previously picking up.

Alderweireld could've done a little better for their opener, but he is a long way from being the player at fault for the goals, you have to look at the bigger picture here my friend.

The other 3 defenders were in a perfect line, while Alder dropped, playing two onside and leaving himself completely exposed. I'm a CB, so am sensitive to that kind of thing.
Again.... I disagree with you. For a start the other 3 defenders were in anything but a perfect line.... Trippier and Rose were half way inside Rochdale's half for GHod sake!

When Winks loses the ball Alderweireld and Foyth are in a line both several yards behind Rochdale's attackers. Both Trippier and Rose are out wide and high up the pitch (expected positions as Winks has possession of the ball and isn't in trouble). Winks then loses the ball leaving toby and Foyth 2 on 2 against their attack. Foyth comes out to meet their player with the ball. Toby cannot come out with him as he wouldn't have been able to get out far enough to get the other side of their other attacker, leaving a simple ball through to put their centre forward in one on one with Lloris. Toby therefore rightfully drops off and tries to cover the run.

Their player in possession then plays a ball to the right, I think Toby did then make a mistake in leaving the player he was with to go towards tht player and the ball. IMO their player would still have found himself in a shooting position as Wanyama seemed to be a little behind him, but it would've been a reasonably difficult chance for them trying to go across the keeper. There was no way though that Alderweireld could've been in a line with the other 3 defenders (who weren't in a line anyway..... It was Wanyama and Trippier chasing back who were in a line with Winks and Foyth chasing back a few yards behind them).

It's going to be a sad situation if he does want to engineer a way out. He's been integral to our form over the Poch years and is one of the best CBs in the world on his day. I would even go as far to say if he's match for for the Juve game we stand a much better chance of progressing (keeping a clean sheet).

Nothing against anyone wanting to double their salary, with their last major contract of their career but we would stand a much better chance of maintaining the consistency needed to win a title, with him and Jan as our central defence.

Find it odd if he wants out when he posts things with the Spurs badge so prominent

I wouldn't put too much stall into such things, Walker was shouting Spurs till I die literally months before walking into Poch's office during the run in and demanding a move.

I wouldn't get too caught up in thi stuff tbh. If he wants to leave, that is completely fair enough and I would understand. If he stays, great. If it is about salary and he wants over 100K, then I would push as much as we can, especially with how important he is. If he wants more than we can afford and/or wants to leave for guaranteed trophies, then we get as much use out of him as we can before he leaves.

Seems to still need some time to get up to full fitness...

From The Times
Tottenham Hotspur are willing to sell Toby Alderweireld this summer after reaching a deadlock in negotiations over a new contract.

The Belgium defender is understood to be demanding a deal worth £150,000 a week, a salary that Tottenham will not countenance paying to a player who turns 29 next week, leading the club to explore a sale at the end of the season.

Mauricio Pochettino has backed the club’s decision, as the head coach accepts their strict wage structure and would rather use the money to strengthen other areas of the squad. Tottenham’s final offer to Alderweireld during talks last month is understood to have been £110,000 a week including bonuses, which would make him one of the highest-paid players at the club, although that will be surpassed if, as expected, Harry Kane and Dele Alli sign improved deals at the end of the season.

Alderweireld’s situation is complicated by the nature of his contract, which is due to expire in 2019 but has a clause that enables the club to extend it by 12 months. However, the same clause also allows Alderweireld to leave next summer for £25.4 million before the final 14 days of the transfer window, so the end of this season represents Spurs’ last chance to achieve his full market value, which would be more than £50 million. Chelsea, Manchester United and Real Madrid are among the clubs monitoring the situation.

Tottenham would prefer to keep Alderweireld, but are not prepared to risk writing off more than £25 million or upsetting the rest of the dressing room by giving him the deal that he is asking for. The club are also negotiating contract extensions with Christian Eriksen and Son Heung-min, and cannot afford to pay them all in excess of £150,000.

Davinson Sánchez was identified as a possible long-term successor to Alderweireld when signing last summer, and Pochettino has faith in his 20-year-old Argentine compatriot Juan Foyth developing into a first-team regular.

Tottenham’s offer to Alderweireld would more than double his £50,000-a-week wages, but the player believes that he deserves a contract comparable to that of Virgil van Dijk, who is on £180,000 a week at Liverpool.
Alderweireld has just returned from three months out with a hamstring injury and faces a battle to get back into Pochettino’s first team. He has so far been restricted to FA Cup appearances against Newport County and Rochdale.

Tottenham are confident of agreeing a one-year contract extension with Jan Vertonghen, whose existing deal also expires next summer.

Back