• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Tottenham vs Rochdale OMT ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
We might need those players fresh - you never know what's going to happen to the first team.

Having Kane, Alli, Son and Lamela out on that pitch was too much of a risk to start with.

I have some thoughts on this, because below par performances from Poch’s squad players are now becoming a pattern, not just a one off. And I think it comes down to conditioning and needing minutes in quite an extreme way to play Poch’s style of football.

And this is the trade off that I think we make with Poch. No managers philosophy has 100% only positives and no trade offs at any other point. With Poch, we get amazing performances when the team is in peak condition, fully firing, and we usually play fantastic during the run in. And that requires playing guys like Dele and Dembele in early cup matches against the likes of Barnsley, even when Dembele was carrying an injury for example, because he needed minutes.

If you aren’t firing though, and aren’t in peak condition, I imagine it’s bloody hard. We see it with whoever is the back up to Kane that they don’t get the minutes to perform well, and both Janssen and Llorente have struggled. But you’ve also seen it today with Winks, Wanyama, Toby. They were all bad and I think they are all trying to find their way back to fully fit form, which for a Poch team means more than any other.

Admittedly this doesn’t cover Foyth, who has improved every time I’ve seen him even without minutes - maybe young players are more amenable to the demands. And Son, who was bad but has had minutes - but I think this is just classic Son, ridiculously inconsistent no matter the circumstance.

Long story short, this is something of a pattern now and I don’t think a replay hurts is at all. I think Poch pays little mind to the risk of injury and more to the benefits of getting minutes into players, so all of the back ups that played today will have more of a chance of getting into form. And if we end up needing them in more important games, we will probably benefit.

Aren’t the players just replicating Poch’s lack of enthusiasm for the cup. I hear Poch going on about the dream of winning the champions league but let’s make this cup a priority too.

`
I thought Llorente and Sissoko were decent today. No complaints on Toby and Son. Wanyama also wasn’t on it, and neither was Winks.

Interested how you thought Llorente was anything but atrocious... slow, lumbering, no offensive cutting edge and missed the gilt edged opportunity of the first half

`

Interested how you thought Llorente was anything but atrocious... slow, lumbering, no offensive cutting edge and missed the gilt edged opportunity of the first half

You’re right, I forgot about that chance, but broadly I thought he had some nice touches and felt like he was getting there. His performance didn’t anger me as much as Son’s, that’s for sure.

I have some thoughts on this, because below par performances from Poch’s squad players are now becoming a pattern, not just a one off. And I think it comes down to conditioning and needing minutes in quite an extreme way to play Poch’s style of football.

And this is the trade off that I think we make with Poch. No managers philosophy has 400% only positives and no trade offs at any other point. With Poch, we get amazing performances when the team is in peak condition, fully firing, and we usually play fantastic during the run in. And that requires playing guys like Dele and Dembele in early cup matches against the likes of Barnsley, even when Dembele was carrying an injury for example, because he needed minutes.

If you aren’t firing though, and aren’t in peak condition, I imagine it’s bloody hard. We see it with whoever is the back up to Kane that they don’t get the minutes to perform well, and both Janssen and Llorente have struggled. But you’ve also seen it today with Winks, Wanyama, Toby. They were all bad and I think they are all trying to find their way back to fully fit form, which for a Poch team means more than any other.

Admittedly this doesn’t cover Foyth, who has improved every time I’ve seen him even without minutes - maybe young players are more amenable to the demands. And Son, who was bad but has had minutes - but I think this is just classic Son, ridiculously inconsistent no matter the circumstance.

Long story short, this is something of a pattern now and I don’t think a replay hurts is at all. I think Poch pays little mind to the risk of injury and more to the benefits of getting minutes into players, so all of the back ups that played today will have more of a chance of getting into form. And if we end up needing them in more important games, we will probably benefit.
I think it’s just a case of when you play a team of players that never play together in a game they don’t click properly. And that’s just not us it’s any team...

Another subpar performance but the extra game has its upsides, especially for Rochdale. Them getting a Wembley replay really is the magic of the cup and who would begrudge them. I'd say we'll see a similar lineup to tonight. It is extra minutes for our returning players too so not all bad.

Llorente really needed a few goals in these cup matches but it wasn't to be, and sadly these matches have drained what little confidence he had. On paper he was the perfect summer signing but it' has not worked out. Foyth was good tonight as was Moura so some positives for me.

Poch talks about mentality a lot but these matches show me we still have a way to go on that front.

Last edited:
As I see it, we are due a fudge up in the next fortnight. It is statistically impossible for a Spurs team not to have one, especially after our outstanding recent games. So, would rather it be against Rochdale than Juve.

As I see it, we are due a fudge up in the next fortnight. It is statistically impossible for a Spurs team not to have one, especially after our outstanding recent games. So, would rather it be against Rochdale than Juve.

What do you think our mean level is? The only PL team that I think is clearly better than us is City. Whilst we have had a great run of results, I think that they are on par rather than us exceeding ourselves. The last couple our years we have stepped up a level from Christmas onwards, so I have been expecting this from the autumn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back