• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

Instead of bringing pele forward to compare him, take Messi back to pele era, without the drugs Messi was pumped full of in his youth he wouldn't have got anywhere.

And if it wasn't for the tinkle heads and drug users in Pele's time, maybe the defending may have been better and Pele may have not looked as good? Its all swings a roundabouts.

And if it wasn't for the tinkle heads and drug users in Pele's time, maybe the defending may have been better and Pele may have not looked as good? Its all swings a roundabouts.
What....

Pele was outstanding and a true master of his game

There really isn’t any comparison since as no striker has been the world best arguably

So Pele and Maradona basically not so good in your opinion. They had it easy as everyone was on drugs.

My opinion is that the standard of football was no where near what it is today. Again, just my opinion.
Well of course not, but nor was the diet, the training, the pitches, etc. Etc.!

You can only compare the players against their peers at the time! And how much better they were. Maradona was playing a different game to his peers!

How would Ronaldo and Messi have coped playing on Rochdale’s Pitch every week, that actually being the best surface they ever play on!?

Basically had Maradona been born in 1990 I think he’d still have been one of the best players in the world, he would be fitter, playing on bowling greens rather than cabbage patches, lighter balls, lighter boots, etc.

Last edited:
The thing that sets pele apart from every player that ever played the game, with the possible exception of cryuff, was his intelligence.
Like all the pioneering greats of any sport, Ali, Nicklaus etc it what was between their ears that set them apart.

What....

Pele was outstanding and a true master of his game

There really isn’t any comparison since as no striker has been the world best arguably

Just madness in this thread right now. Maradona was a fudging genius who single-handedly won a World Cup (no pun intended)...Pele? Christ, phenomenal. Comparisons with today! Worthless.FWIW Hoddle was a fudging genius too.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Sorry Harry to hijack your thread ...

New Ronaldo.

I don't like him and that may be colouring my view on him as a footballer but for me he is not one of the greats. Yep I said it. Definitely not in my top 5 or probably not even in my top 10 footballers.

I don't deny his numbers are astounding and this should probably be enough to convince me. I should be convinced that his incredible goal totals are so good that everything else that he does is not important. I'm not convinced.

When I look at new Ronaldo I see a incredible physical specimen that has used this fact to his maximum advantage. What I don't see is genius in his play. That is the box he doesn't tick for me. To be in my top 10 you have to show some genius.

Old Ronnie yes. He was exciting every time he had the ball. New Ronnie, meh.
No two ronnie jokes please

Last edited:
Silly thread. Pele and Maradona were blessed with outrageous skills and the mentality to be the best in their day. If they were playing today, they would train, eat, practice accordingly and still be top players. Would they be better than Ronaldo, Ronaldo or Messi? No one knows, and no one will ever know.
The only thing we do know, is they all sleep in Harry Kane pyjamas.

Sorry Harry to hijack your thread ...

New Ronaldo.

I don't like him and that may be colouring my view on him as a footballer but for me he is not one of the greats. Yep I said it. Definitely not in my top 5 or probably not even in my top 10 footballers.

I don't deny his numbers are astounding and this should probably be enough to convince me. I should be convinced that his incredible goal totals are so good that everything else that he does is not important. I'm not convinced.

And for some reason I'm not that impressed either. When I look at new Ronaldo I see a incredible physical specimen that has used this fact to his advantage. What I don't see is genius in his play and that is the box he doesn't tick for me. To be in my top 10 you have to show some genius and I don't see any with new Ronnie.

Old Ronnie yes. He's on the list. He made excited when he had the ball. New Ronnie, meh.
No two ronnie jokes please
Well it's good night from you...

I think it required less skill to play in them days. I know the training facilities etc are better now and they will become better players but Pele and Maradona would not be on Messi's level if they played in this era, imo.

“The problem with today’s world is that everyone believes they have the right to express their opinion AND have others listen to it.

The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense!”

Brian Cox

:) :)

Anyway, back on topic I hope Kane is rested. Bring him back on the 26th to put Palace to the sword.

Must say I'm hoping to see Son, Alder & Lucas get starts today.

Back