• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

"Champions of 3rd place, we know what we are"

I had looked at the numbers, for the first 2 years, we are #1 (over the 24 months), if you get to current (i.e. into this season), City is #1 just because their form has been stupid good.

I think our curse isn't being bottlers, it's the fudging football gods conspiring against you, in the last 5 years
- Chelsea winning CL costing us our spot after qualifying as 4th
- Leicester's fluke, with everyone rolling over for them
- Chelsea having a no European competition season and being super lucky with injuries
- City spending a small country GDP on defense and having a record breaking run

The thing for us that is promising is our form is established now, not just a purple patch, or lucky run due to reduced games, no injuries.
Leicester's fluke?! Everyone rolling over for them? What did every team just turn up to play them and think no, we'll just hand them the points? Er no, funny how we didnt beat them that season either. Talk about making excuses, we would win the league if we deserve to win the league....

Leicester's fluke?! Everyone rolling over for them? What did every team just turn up to play them and think no, we'll just hand them the points? Er no, funny how we didnt beat them that season either. Talk about making excuses, we would win the league if we deserve to win the league....
I think he means certain teams like Cheatski saying they would love it if Leicester win i.e. play harder vs Spurs than Leicester. And referees allowing lots of shirt pulls and fouls in the box to score goals and defend goals. But let's not drag all this up and have 3 pages of old whiffle.

I think he means certain teams like Cheatski saying they would love it if Leicester win i.e. play harder vs Spurs than Leicester. And referees allowing lots of shirt pulls and fouls in the box to score goals and defend goals. But let's not drag all this up and have 3 pages of old whiffle.
Sorry but if thats the case thats just reaching - Chelsea would play harder vs us than Leicester in the same way we would play harder against Chelsea than Leicester because its a big derby. If we dont beat Leicester or Chelsea then thats our own fault, and nothing to do with Leicester being flukey....

Mate, not going to do the circle on this, but lets be clear

- There is a reason derbies are harder games than regular matches, at this level, the margins are small, the players being that much more "up for it" makes a difference. See fudging West Ham playing us every fudging season. It also works in reverse
- Leicester's season was a fluke, because they had very little injuries, a WC acquisition (Kante) and half the team played the season of their careers, you had a team challenging with no European distraction (makes a difference, see Chelsea) while no one else in the league saw them as rivals (you had fudging managers pre their games with Leicester actually saying they would like Leicester to win the league). While I'm not suggesting people threw games, they certainly didn't treat it as derby/rival type games and that benefitted Leicester enough to make it work.

It is a fluke, never repeated, Leicester won't even get back into Europe and I give them 5 years before they drop out PL, fudging Trivia question for future generations.

Like so many people, you fail to understand circumstance (luck for want of a better word) plays a part in any success, luck of draw in knockout competition, opposition form/injuries just when you play them, someone winning the CL the year you finish 4th and they finish 6th. Leicester got a lifetime of circumstance in one season, hence its a fluke. Could we have done better? = sure, but people have actually run computer analysis on that season, in very few runs/reruns does Leicester actually win.

Mate, not going to do the circle on this, but lets be clear

- There is a reason derbies are harder games than regular matches, at this level, the margins are small, the players being that much more "up for it" makes a difference. See fudging West Ham playing us every fudging season. It also works in reverse
- Leicester's season was a fluke, because they had very little injuries, a WC acquisition (Kante) and half the team played the season of their careers, you had a team challenging with no European distraction (makes a difference, see Chelsea) while no one else in the league saw them as rivals (you had fudging managers pre their games with Leicester actually saying they would like Leicester to win the league). While I'm not suggesting people threw games, they certainly didn't treat it as derby/rival type games and that benefitted Leicester enough to make it work.

It is a fluke, never repeated, Leicester won't even get back into Europe and I give them 5 years before they drop out PL, fudging Trivia question for future generations.

Like so many people, you fail to understand circumstance (luck for want of a better word) plays a part in any success, luck of draw in knockout competition, opposition form/injuries just when you play them, someone winning the CL the year you finish 4th and they finish 6th. Leicester got a lifetime of circumstance in one season, hence its a fluke. Could we have done better? = sure, but people have actually run computer analysis on that season, in very few runs/reruns does Leicester actually win.
Liverpool, Emirates Marketing Project, Man Utd didnt have all these derbies either and theres countless other teams who had no European football who didnt come close to doing what they did. They completely won on merit, to label it a 'fluke' is ridiculous for me - but its quite clear we wont ever agree on this so..........

Liverpool, Emirates Marketing Project, Man Utd didnt have all these derbies either and theres countless other teams who had no European football who didnt come close to doing what they did. They completely won on merit, to label it a 'fluke' is ridiculous for me - but its quite clear we wont ever agree on this so..........

Mate, merit and fluke are not disconnected .. they had to win those games, and they did, so credit to them. They had to adapt at parts of the season, and they did, they had to not crumble under pressure on the final run in, they didn't.

Fluke just means its a one off, and it is, to my early point, circumstance/luck gave them the position to be able to be successful. If it wasn't a fluke how come Leicester hasn't been able to translate that into at minimum consistent top 7?

And Manu/Pool/City have plenty of high profile games (regardless of if official derbies or not)

Mate, merit and fluke are not disconnected .. they had to win those games, and they did, so credit to them. They had to adapt at parts of the season, and they did, they had to not crumble under pressure on the final run in, they didn't.

Fluke just means its a one off, and it is, to my early point, circumstance/luck gave them the position to be able to be successful. If it wasn't a fluke how come Leicester hasn't been able to translate that into at minimum consistent top 7?

And Manu/Pool/City have plenty of high profile games (regardless of if official derbies or not)
And then factor in a lack of injuries, shots hitting woodwork an not scoring for opponents and doing the opposite for them. And not having to play after us on a Monday three times in a row after we had won to get that little bit closer to them. To their credit they didn't let the pressure get to them and they bloody well won it.

I forgot to mention the racist orgy in Thailand that lead to the sacking that lead to Ranieri getting made head coach.

Leicester had a lot go their way that season. That is undoubtedly true.

What is also undoubtedly true imo is that they deserved the title in that season and were actually the best and most consistent team that season.

I also don't understand why Spurs fans still go on about it because at no point in the season were we actually 1st, we had I believe 2 opportunities to go above them all season and took neither and ended the season with 70 points, which most seasons would have us comfortably where we ended up. 3rd/4th.

I'd understand the upset if we actually ended up close to winning it. But we didn't. We finished 11 points behind, with 70 points, in 3rd place. Let it go.

As for the top 4 this season, I think we're looking good now. I hope we rack up the points in the next few fixtures because there's a few games between the other top 6 clubs. Stay focused and pick up the points in any way in our PL games now. It is imperative we start our life at the new stadium with CL football and three seasons in a row in the CL would be excellent for both bank balance and for the profile of the club.

In some senses I was pleased for Leicester winning it and sticking it to the big boys and as pointed out we were never first in the league that season in fact I can not remember the last time we were top off the league after 10 games in a season.

What got me about Leicester was Huth playing rugby and getting away with it, the seemed this unsaid thing that refs were being lenient with them to keep the amazing story going. If they had been mid table I am sure Huth would have been given a few red cards and conceded penalties.

What is also undoubtedly true imo is that they deserved the title in that season and were actually the best and most consistent team that season.

I also don't understand why Spurs fans still go on about it because at no point in the season were we actually 1st, we had I believe 2 opportunities to go above them all season and took neither and ended the season with 70 points, which most seasons would have us comfortably where we ended up. 3rd/4th.

I'd understand the upset if we actually ended up close to winning it. But we didn't. We finished 11 points behind, with 70 points, in 3rd place. Let it go.

As for the top 4 this season, I think we're looking good now. I hope we rack up the points in the next few fixtures because there's a few games between the other top 6 clubs. Stay focused and pick up the points in any way in our PL games now. It is imperative we start our life at the new stadium with CL football and three seasons in a row in the CL would be excellent for both bank balance and for the profile of the club.
Actually, Leicester were the 4th best team. Believe it or not, Woolwich were the best that season. We ended where we should have (third), but Leicester definitely fluked it.
upload_2018-2-16_22-12-53.png

Actually, Leicester were the 4th best team. Believe it or not, Woolwich were the best that season. We ended where we should have (third), but Leicester definitely fluked it.
View attachment 4166

That doesn’t mean anything. Might just mean that Leicester did enough to win games 1-0 against everyone, whereas Arsenal could have won 5-0 against the terrible sides but should have drawn/lost against all others.

It was a freak incident Leicester winning the league, of that I totally agree. But when you use the word fluke that simply means lucky, and to me that’s disrespectful towards them. Whilst there’s an element of luck in that they had things going for them they still achieved on hard work and merit....

Everyone including myself kept expecting Leicester to retrace and have a blip, but it just never happened. Their consistency was brilliant and that’s why I just can’t agree with labelling their title win a fluke - like you say we was never realistically that close to winning the league in the end anyway....

What is also undoubtedly true imo is that they deserved the title in that season and were actually the best and most consistent team that season

I disagree with that and so does the objective evidence.

Leicester were comfortably the second best team in many of their wins that season, and not just against the good teams.

Ok I can't really bothered to get into this argument again or start long discussions on the merits of xpts (as much as I like XG).

Needless to say, a club that finishes on 70 points in a 20 team league does not deserve to win the league.

Back