• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Champions League 2017/18 - Round of 16: Juventus

Not seen anything of Juve this season. Apart from knowing they are top of the Italian League and Higuain plays up front.

What is their general style of play? Who are their main dangers.

Not as good as in previous seasons, typical Italian team in that they are defensively sound and hard to break down.

I think we should look to go through, if we play at our best with real pace and aggression I think we will be better then them.

i think it would be a mistake to go there and play 3 at the back. Lets go at them and try and get an away goal. 0-0 would be a decent result for them knowing a score draw at Wembley would take them through

A very interesting 2nd leg incoming.

I can't wait for an OMT so I'd like to hear what 's your opinion about 2 things:
1. How Juve's perfomance will change (if) with Dybala, Matuidi and Cuadrado as avalaible, probably, starting options?
2. What tactics and starting line-up should Poch use knowing that Juventus will, probably, try to push us much more than they did after 2:0 at home?

I don't think Juventus will change their tactics much. When they beat us 2-1 in a friendly in Australia recently they only had about 39% possession.

Here's some insight into what a top coach sees as Spurs' weakness.

On Tuesday morning, pink Italian newspaper Gazzetto dello Sport produced a column on Tottenham’s tactics and how Juventus could exploit them.

Writing said piece was Arrigo Sacchi, the legendary former AC Milan and Italy coach.

Sacchi: “Tottenham’s weak spot is in defence. When they can’t press the ball, all their limitations are exposed. Sanchez and Vertonghen are good in the air but not very quick. The full-backs push on a lot; the midfielders are slow. Spurs are at their best when they have the ball, in aerial play and on the break.”

The legendary coach continued: “This is a modern team hoping for a better future, but perhaps today they are not yet ready to face a top team like Juventus. For Tottenham, Juventus are the worst team they could have drawn, not just because of their current form, but for the particular characteristics of this winning machine.”

http://www.mysportscity.com/juventus-2-spurs-2-tactical-review-allegri-blitzes-poch-in-9-minutes/

They will, I think, rely on Spurs playing their natural game and taking on the traditional role of the home team, which is to take the initiative. I would not be surprised to see Lamela start ahead of Son again if Poch thinks the full backs need protecting. Wanyama in for Dier, who can be a bit ponderous on the ball and is prone to the "one through ball to the opposition per game" brain fart.

BTW, I don't agree that Sanchez is not quick but maybe he is talking about speed of thought. I also don't agree that Verts and Sanchez are good in the air, but far be it from me to disagree with Mr Sacchi.

Some more analysis from the web site I linked to above, but this time not from Sacchi.

Why were Spurs caught cold?
So, why were Spurs not ready for the Juventus onslaught early doors?

Perhaps it was the atmosphere, after all, most Italian sides struggle at the Juventus Stadium?

Or, it was the experience in this Juventus side, which has reached two of the last three Champions League finals.

Either way, Allegri implemented a brilliant tactical plan.

Juventus surprise Spurs and Dembele
Moussa Dembele was incredible in the first 45, after the initial onslaught, the Belgian is slow on the ball and Juventus took advantage straight away.

A foul was won off the back of two Dembele fouls, Miralem Pjanic chipped a free-kick over and there was Gonzalo Higuain with an unnerving finish.

Seven minutes later Spurs were still shell shocked when Federico Bernadeschi was fouled by Ben Davies. Penalty. 2-0 Juventus.

Considering the Old Lady had let in one goal in 16 matches prioer to the clash with Spurs, even 180 minutes felt tough for the side from London to turn this round.

Douglas Costa in a free role!
The ket tactical take away from Sacchi which was implemented by Allegri concerned this statement:

“Sanchez and Vertonghen are good in the air but not very quick. The full-backs push on a lot; the midfielders are slow.”

Even regular watchers of Juventus were surprised by Allegri’s key decision: Douglas Costa in a free role through the middle.

With Higuain playing a brilliant first half, up until his penalty miss, it was left to Costa to make things happen.

Costa & Bernadeschi win Juventus penalties
Juventus usually play Costa or Bernadeschi on the right, not both in the same side. Injuries to the likes of Paulo Dybala meant that both had to play.

Costa’s pace was a constant thorn in the side of Spurs in the first half even though Spurs had 67% possession.

The fact Bernadeschi could cut in on his left foot, away from Ben Davies’ preferred foot also allowed the Juventus winger to profit down the right.

Bernadeschi won the penalty, Costa won the second spot kick on the stroke of half-time. Juventus had their chance to put the tie out of sight.

Instead, Spurs took the plaudits and were the much more likely winners by the end, so how did Mauricio Pochettino turn it round?

By having balls of steel, of course!

A very interesting 2nd leg incoming.

I can't wait for an OMT so I'd like to hear what 's your opinion about 2 things:
1. How Juve's perfomance will change (if) with Dybala, Matuidi and Cuadrado as avalaible, probably, starting options?
2. What tactics and starting line-up should Poch use knowing that Juventus will, probably, try to push us much more than they did after 2:0 at home?

I can't speak for how those Juventus players will improve them, I don't know much about Juventus. I do think that we will go back to 3 at the back for the home leg, with Toby fit again. This suits Trippier more (Aurier too but he's suspended) and will allow us to play on the counter attack, which should be a good plan seeing as Juventus need to score.

Will they look to keep it tight and nick a 0-1 win? I think we can start with a counter attack, we can always go after them more if they happen to score in the early part of the game. If they don't, then at some point they have to come forward and should leave us a lot of space. I think Son will start this game.

Honestly though, I have no phucking idea what to expect!

I can't speak for how those Juventus players will improve them, I don't know much about Juventus. I do think that we will go back to 3 at the back for the home leg, with Toby fit again. This suits Trippier more (Aurier too but he's suspended) and will allow us to play on the counter attack, which should be a good plan seeing as Juventus need to score.

Will they look to keep it tight and nick a 0-1 win? I think we can start with a counter attack, we can always go after them more if they happen to score in the early part of the game. If they don't, then at some point they have to come forward and should leave us a lot of space. I think Son will start this game.

Honestly though, I have no phucking idea what to expect!
I think part of what worked so well away to Juventus was the defensive work Eiksen and All did on both sides. They offered excellent protection for our full backs. 5 at the back and Trippier/Rose will be more isolated forcing Alderweireld and Vertonghen to go wide. We still have two centre backs, but I fear we will be pulled out of position more. It would also leave more space for our midfielders to cover.

I would like to see us line up in a similar way to the away game. Get Lamela, Alli and Eriksen out there along with Kane, try to gain control of the game. Try to dominate and get a goal. We can sit back and defend well in periods with a back four as well, bit I think we'll need to score at least one. Goo for it, be brave, put out an attacking side...

I don't think Juventus will change their tactics much. When they beat us 2-1 in a friendly in Australia recently they only had about 39% possession.

On Tuesday morning, pink Italian newspaper Gazzetto dello Sport produced a column on Tottenham’s tactics and how Juventus could exploit them.

Writing said piece was Arrigo Sacchi, the legendary former AC Milan and Italy coach.

Sacchi: “Tottenham’s weak spot is in defence. When they can’t press the ball, all their limitations are exposed. Sanchez and Vertonghen are good in the air but not very quick. The full-backs push on a lot; the midfielders are slow. Spurs are at their best when they have the ball, in aerial play and on the break.”

The legendary coach continued: “This is a modern team hoping for a better future, but perhaps today they are not yet ready to face a top team like Juventus. For Tottenham, Juventus are the worst team they could have drawn, not just because of their current form, but for the particular characteristics of this winning machine.”

http://www.mysportscity.com/juventus-2-spurs-2-tactical-review-allegri-blitzes-poch-in-9-minutes/

They will, I think, rely on Spurs playing their natural game and taking on the traditional role of the home team, which is to take the initiative. I would not be surprised to see Lamela start ahead of Son again if Poch thinks the full backs need protecting. Wanyama in for Dier, who can be a bit ponderous on the ball and is prone to the "one through ball to the opposition per game" brain fart.

BTW, I don't agree that Sanchez is not quick but maybe he is talking about speed of thought. I also don't agree that Verts and Sanchez are good in the air, but far be it from me to disagree with Mr Sacchi.

Some more analysis from the web site I linked to above, but this time not from Sacchi.

Perhaps it was the atmosphere, after all, most Italian sides struggle at the Juventus Stadium?

Or, it was the experience in this Juventus side, which has reached two of the last three Champions League finals.

Moussa Dembele was incredible in the first 45, after the initial onslaught, the Belgian is slow on the ball and Juventus took advantage straight away.

A foul was won off the back of two Dembele fouls, Miralem Pjanic chipped a free-kick over and there was Gonzalo Higuain with an unnerving finish.

Seven minutes later Spurs were still shell shocked when Federico Bernadeschi was fouled by Ben Davies. Penalty. 2-0 Juventus.

Considering the Old Lady had let in one goal in 16 matches prioer to the clash with Spurs, even 180 minutes felt tough for the side from London to turn this round.

The ket tactical take away from Sacchi which was implemented by Allegri concerned this statement:

“Sanchez and Vertonghen are good in the air but not very quick. The full-backs push on a lot; the midfielders are slow.”

Even regular watchers of Juventus were surprised by Allegri’s key decision: Douglas Costa in a free role through the middle.

With Higuain playing a brilliant first half, up until his penalty miss, it was left to Costa to make things happen.

Juventus usually play Costa or Bernadeschi on the right, not both in the same side. Injuries to the likes of Paulo Dybala meant that both had to play.

Costa’s pace was a constant thorn in the side of Spurs in the first half even though Spurs had 67% possession.

The fact Bernadeschi could cut in on his left foot, away from Ben Davies’ preferred foot also allowed the Juventus winger to profit down the right.

Bernadeschi won the penalty, Costa won the second spot kick on the stroke of half-time. Juventus had their chance to put the tie out of sight.

Instead, Spurs took the plaudits and were the much more likely winners by the end, so how did Mauricio Pochettino turn it round?

That makes it sound like master strokes but so much of that was wrong IMO

costa may have had a free role but made maybe 3 runs in total as they were so pegged back
Their left back was Manzukkc most of the game

And the slow centre backs all played in stripes

It for me smacks of the arrogance some people have around some side whilst ignoring how other sides play or have improved

It’s very typical of Italian football and why it’s actially a really poor state still despite improving

When your strength is defending it doesn’t make for attractive football

I think part of what worked so well away to Juventus was the defensive work Eiksen and All did on both sides. They offered excellent protection for our full backs. 5 at the back and Trippier/Rose will be more isolated forcing Alderweireld and Vertonghen to go wide. We still have two centre backs, but I fear we will be pulled out of position more. It would also leave more space for our midfielders to cover.

I would like to see us line up in a similar way to the away game. Get Lamela, Alli and Eriksen out there along with Kane, try to gain control of the game. Try to dominate and get a goal. We can sit back and defend well in periods with a back four as well, bit I think we'll need to score at least one. Goo for it, be brave, put out an attacking side...

Good points. I do worry though that now they know what to expect, it won't be enough for us to be brave and try and dominate. Maybe the last game took them by surprise a bit, you'd have to think they will make plans against that this time. Which is another reason I think it'd be good to employ a different tactic in this game, one they might be less prepared for. I normally find it quite tough to predict what Poch is going to do, I'm sure he will have some sort of surprise ready.

Maybe I shouldn’t have, but I stopped reading when it said “Sanchez was slow”.

Sacchi: “Sanchez.....not very quick.

why were Spurs not ready for the Juventus onslaught early doors? Perhaps it was the atmosphere

A foul was won off the back of two Dembele fouls

it was left to Costa to make things happen.
Utter tripe. Sanchez is quick. The atmosphere was very 'plastic' with piped in music, naff countdowns, the christian name/surname shout thing, organised fans. Dembele was not taken advantage of. The foul Dembele had to commit was because of Jan's scuff.
How can someone watch that match, draw 20 conclusions and get so much wrong?

If Toby is match fit I'd park the bus at Wembley and hit them on the counter. They have to score so they have to be attacking. With Sanchez I am not so sure we can absorb the pressure for a long period of time without the possibility of making a mistake that will gift them a goal.

Smacks of nationalistic nonsense from Sacchi imo. Smoke and Mirrors job trying to salvage something from what was an unexpected capitulation by them considering they are 'so amazing' at home and don't concede, never mind concede two against a side as 'inexperienced' and 'slow' as Tottenham Hotspur.

Part of me thinks that we should just play our game and concentrate on them only in a broad aspect but another part of me thinks that we should approach it a little like how we played Dortmund at home. Drop off a little and force them to take and try to use possession and then hit them on the break with their ageing backline.

I totally respect them as a team and the second leg will be a battle but I didn't see anything from them across the 90 minutes that we shouldn't feel reasonably confident about coming through the tie overall. I don't know who they had missing other than Dybala and Cuadrado and whilst Dybala will need to be watched diligently, Cuadrado playing instead of Costa as an example probably benefits us.

Ever since getting home from Turin I have had a feeling for 3-1 in the second leg with a reasonably early goal for us. I just think on the big wide spaces at a now familiar stadium, our boys will be feeling like they can take on anyone and with 80k of our fans behind them I think we are going to progress with a professional and controlled performance.

We can’t sit deep against them in the second leg. We hold a draw, not a win against them. If they were to score, then we would suddenly be chasing the game. In a way, this second leg is to start a 90 minute one off match. We can draw, but we can’t play for a draw. We need to settle it on the night.

We can’t sit deep against them in the second leg. We hold a draw, not a win against them. If they were to score, then we would suddenly be chasing the game. In a way, this second leg is to start a 90 minute one off match. We can draw, but we can’t play for a draw. We need to settle it on the night.
It's the cliche of "Must win, conceptually and in approach, but must draw no higher than 1-1 to go through on the archaic away goals rule". Classic.

Play our game exactly like we did out there
If they beat us playing our way then so be it
I think we have a risk if we try anything different after the way we played first leg

The return leg is a very tough one to call tactically, IMO. I love Toby and think we are more solid at the back with him in there but do we sacrifice a midfielder to accommodate him (and, if so, who?) and risk losing the midfield dominance we had in Italy or do we stick with a back four and leave him on the bench?

I think the key here is Dybala. If he is fit for the 2nd leg then I think the switch to a back three could be on. Either that or we stick with the four and start with Wanyama in CM instead of Dier. Or we could just keep the same starting XI (minus Aurier for Trippier - a good call regardless of his suspension IMO) and look to hit them hard from the off and put the tie to bed ASAP. Risky, I know, but we are capable of doing it! It's also worth considering how often this Juve team has been in this position in the recent past and how they have reacted. Are they going to come at us hell for leather from kick off or look to play the patient game?

fudged if I know lol

Good points. I do worry though that now they know what to expect, it won't be enough for us to be brave and try and dominate. Maybe the last game took them by surprise a bit, you'd have to think they will make plans against that this time. Which is another reason I think it'd be good to employ a different tactic in this game, one they might be less prepared for. I normally find it quite tough to predict what Poch is going to do, I'm sure he will have some sort of surprise ready.
I thought that about Madrid.

Back