• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Serge Aurier

He's more in the Sissoko bracket than a young Danny Rose, imo.

Not sure how you define as Sissoko bracket.

Aurier knows how to cross, just not as consistent as Trippier.
Aurier steps up, doesn't just watch and wait for team mates to take responsibility.
Aurier takes too much responsibility with his tackling-
Aurier knows how to control a ball.
Aurier gets injured at times.
Aurier has footballing talent.

Sissoko... he's an athlete who is injury free and available for selection at all times.

Aurier steps up, doesn't just watch and wait for team mates to take responsibility.

Sissoko... he's an athlete who is injury free and available for selection at all times.

Are you related to Aurier?

please tell him if he has to play for my club again to stay on his fudging feet in the area.

I think Aurier has potential to be a good right back for us. But he needs to work on his defensive positioning - which is often the reason he ends up making bad tackles. And his decision making.

To be fair though Costa is very very quick.

Really mate? he's just settling in, he gets rotated a lot (doesn't help), so unsurprisingly is inconsistent.

Danny Rose wishes he was in the Sissoko bracket when he was young, there is a reason Rose doesn't do social media, and it's because most Spurs fans thought he was utter brick, and told him so when he renewed his contract. Another reason Rose will not show us loyalty (and a lesson for fans).

Aurier was a liability against Juve, but no worse than I've seen from Rose or Walker early with us, nor worse than either Trippiers/Davies bad days at the office for us. I think he has a higher ceiling than Trippier, up to him if he gets there.

Yes, really. Danny Rose is 27 and at Aurier's current age (25) he was the best left-back in the country. In the years leading up to that, he was excellent on loan at Sunderland and a good performer for us who made one or two high profile mistakes. His talent was obvious imo, but I was always a big fan of his, I bored plenty of people on the Danny Rose thread with my opinions on that at the time ha. He was always athletic and had a ferocious attitude and was even capable of ridiculous sh1t like the volley against Arsenal. There was enough about him that I could make the argument that he'd become a very good player.

Now, Aurier has made high profile mistakes -- fine, IF he was showing a lot of promise. IMO, he isn't. When he first appeared, his passing and general play was good, I think that's gone downhill though. But it's his lack of pace that concerns me, he doesn't read the game well enough to get away with such average speed. So what we have is a pretty middling full-back who has the wonderful habit of lunging into tackles and giving away penalties in Champions League games. So for me, the success of his signing (or rather, the lack of it) puts him closer to Sissoko than Danny Rose (or a young Danny Rose).

By the way, when I say that his signing is in the Sissoko bracket, what I mean is that he is a player that was bought to deliver in the here and now and hasn't really done that.

Yes, really. Danny Rose is 27 and at Aurier's current age (25) he was the best left-back in the country. In the years leading up to that, he was excellent on loan at Sunderland and a good performer for us who made one or two high profile mistakes. His talent was obvious imo, but I was always a big fan of his, I bored plenty of people on the Danny Rose thread with my opinions on that at the time ha. He was always athletic and had a ferocious attitude and was even capable of ridiculous sh1t like the volley against Arsenal. There was enough about him that I could make the argument that he'd become a very good player.

Now, Aurier has made high profile mistakes -- fine, IF he was showing a lot of promise. IMO, he isn't. When he first appeared, his passing and general play was good, I think that's gone downhill though. But it's his lack of pace that concerns me, he doesn't read the game well enough to get away with such average speed. So what we have is a pretty middling full-back who has the wonderful habit of lunging into tackles and giving away penalties in Champions League games. So for me, the success of his signing (or rather, the lack of it) puts him closer to Sissoko than Danny Rose (or a young Danny Rose).

At 24 Aurier has won the French League and played in multiple CL campaigns, little hard to say Danny was further ahead.

People see different things in players (why scouting is not an exact science), with Danny I saw a petulant athlete who had really bad positioning, and did the occasional rash challenge out of anger. I didn't see (and neither did the vast majority of people, revisionism aside) the best LB in England anywhere in him.

Aurier is tight, overthinking it, makes him seem desperate and late/slow. He isn't slow (certainly not slower than Trippier), lack of confidence, not adapted is affecting him. Aurier was bought to rotate with Trippier and eventually be our #1 RB. Again I would think you are over judging if you don't think he is capable of rotating with him for the lesser games (at minimum) for the rest of season, giving him time to become that starting LB role.

At 24 Aurier has won the French League and played in multiple CL campaigns, little hard to say Danny was further ahead.

People see different things in players (why scouting is not an exact science), with Danny I saw a petulant athlete who had really bad positioning, and did the occasional rash challenge out of anger. I didn't see (and neither did the vast majority of people, revisionism aside) the best LB in England anywhere in him.

Aurier is tight, overthinking it, makes him seem desperate and late/slow. He isn't slow (certainly not slower than Trippier), lack of confidence, not adapted is affecting him. Aurier was bought to rotate with Trippier and eventually be our #1 RB. Again I would think you are over judging if you don't think he is capable of rotating with him for the lesser games (at minimum) for the rest of season, giving him time to become that starting LB role.

Danny Rose, at 25, was the best left-back in the country -- the season we finished 3rd, when Leicester won the league. Aurier is nowhere near the level of Walker or Rose that season, when both were 25 (same age as Aurier now). That's why I don't think he was bought as a prospect or one for the future, I believe that Poch expected a good level of performance from him right away (not Walker/Rose level, but a good level). I don't know that for certain, it's just what I think. I also think Aurier has fallen short of being a reliable first team player.

Him being "not slower than Trippier" doesn't mean that he's fast enough to get away with such poor positioning. If all we wanted was an understudy or rotation option for Trippier, we might as well have given KWP the chance -- we'd get the same rookie mistakes, but from an actual rookie rather than a 25 year old who has played in multiple Champions League campaigns yet STILL makes far too many rash challenges. When will he have enough experience not to do that?

As I said earlier, if we go 3 at the back, maybe he'll look better. But I just don't see anything to "cling on to" if you get my meaning, some quality that makes me think "yeah, given time he will blossom." IMO, he looked better in his first couple of games, as I liked his passing and vision, thought he was very good technically. But that seems to have left him, perhaps a confidence issue. Defensively however, he started quite rash and has carried that on.

Mate, I hope he turns into phucking Cafu, I really do. I love being wrong about players I don't think are all that good, I've been wrong many times before (Harry Kane!!!). Tell me though, what is it you see in Aurier's play for us that makes you feel he is the answer for us at right-back?

Danny Rose, at 25, was the best left-back in the country -- the season we finished 3rd, when Leicester won the league. Aurier is nowhere near the level of Walker or Rose that season, when both were 25 (same age as Aurier now). That's why I don't think he was bought as a prospect or one for the future, I believe that Poch expected a good level of performance from him right away (not Walker/Rose level, but a good level). I don't know that for certain, it's just what I think. I also think Aurier has fallen short of being a reliable first team player.

Him being "not slower than Trippier" doesn't mean that he's fast enough to get away with such poor positioning. If all we wanted was an understudy or rotation option for Trippier, we might as well have given KWP the chance -- we'd get the same rookie mistakes, but from an actual rookie rather than a 25 year old who has played in multiple Champions League campaigns yet STILL makes far too many rash challenges. When will he have enough experience not to do that?

As I said earlier, if we go 3 at the back, maybe he'll look better. But I just don't see anything to "cling on to" if you get my meaning, some quality that makes me think "yeah, given time he will blossom." IMO, he looked better in his first couple of games, as I liked his passing and vision, thought he was very good technically. But that seems to have left him, perhaps a confidence issue. Defensively however, he started quite rash and has carried that on.

Mate, I hope he turns into phucking Cafu, I really do. I love being wrong about players I don't think are all that good, I've been wrong many times before (Harry Kane!!!). Tell me though, what is it you see in Aurier's play for us that makes you feel he is the answer for us at right-back?

I don't see anything that makes me believe he's the next great thing, but my record is quite hit and miss (thought CR was a step over one trick pony, but did think Bale was something special for what its a worth).

My point though was simple, with Poch's record with FBs, and the improvement we see between first 6 months in our system and the second season for most players, I'm not willing to go out on a limb and give up on a player.

I don't see anything that makes me believe he's the next great thing, but my record is quite hit and miss (thought CR was a step over one trick pony, but did think Bale was something special for what its a worth).

My point though was simple, with Poch's record with FBs, and the improvement we see between first 6 months in our system and the second season for most players, I'm not willing to go out on a limb and give up on a player.

A very fair point.

Do you think Poch will stick with both Trippier and Aurier for next season? IMO, they are both fighting it out to stay here and I think Poch will sell one and either bring someone in, or give KWP more football. At the minute, I think Trippier is ahead of Aurier, though not by much. They both worry me when it comes to winning 1v1 battles (though again, probably less of an issue if/when we play a back 3 with Toby on the right of the 3).

of course Aurier doesn't have walker ability. He cost half the money and wages. Aurier has potential, plays the position we bought him to play. He is nowhere near Sissoko bracket. He could enter the Paulinho bracket - great potential who didn't make it at Spurs, but it far too early to say.

Right now he is in Danny Rose Bracket. Having a first season full of rash decisions. I hope he stays in that bracket for season 2. Right now I rate Trippier, because of his offensive capabilities. I actually thought Trippier was better than Walker last season.

A very fair point.

Do you think Poch will stick with both Trippier and Aurier for next season? IMO, they are both fighting it out to stay here and I think Poch will sell one and either bring someone in, or give KWP more football. At the minute, I think Trippier is ahead of Aurier, though not by much. They both worry me when it comes to winning 1v1 battles (though again, probably less of an issue if/when we play a back 3 with Toby on the right of the 3).

Actually no, similar to you, I think they are fighting for one spot long term (when that is will have a lot to do with if we qualify for CL again this season, and who becomes available)

I've seen it for decades on this and other Spurs messages boards but still cannot fathom the blind double standards of some posts...

I would even shudder to think what the reaction on this board would be if Sissoko had:
- cost us a memorable win at the Bernabeu
- got ridiculously sent off against the Spammers seriously jeopardising what was a walk in the park into a nail biting hanging on exercise
- almost undid one of the best first halfs in recent Spurs history by a ridiculous, stupid, pathetic, idiotic, naive, incompetent, sick dive at the legs of an opponent, when there was no chance in f**k of getting even close to the ball.

I would love to see the talent Aurier seems to have because up till now, all I have seen is a right back who sells himself too high and then has no pace to recover, an incompetent crosser of the ball whose assists were misbrick shots and a blundering regular crisis-in-the-making. Above all, he possesses the ultimate scourge of all footballers... unreliability. Actually that is not correct - he is very reliable; reliable to do a major brain fart every other game that risks undoing all the work of the rest of the team.

As for your analysis
Aurier knows how to cross, just not as consistent as Trippier; seriously? his crossing is atrocious
Aurier steps up, doesn't just watch and wait for team mates to take responsibility; if being rash and irresponsible is now defined as stepping up, you have a point
Aurier takes too much responsibility with his tackling; honestly??? too much responsibility? I've heard excuses but that takes the biscuit completely
Aurier knows how to control a ball; pity he does not know how to tackle though - especially seeing as he is a defender first and foremost
Aurier gets injured at times; so? is that suddenly a virtue?
Aurier has footballing talent; beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder - from where I am standing, looks more like the ugly stepsister.

You should read the analysis as of what Sissoko doesn't do. Aurier was in the Sissoko bracket, remember.

As for Aurier's crossing ability, check out the cross which Kane forced own goal against Real Madrid. Aurier. Trippier does this on regular basis, Aurier doesn't. Sissoko's crossing is abysmal.
Aurier tries too much instead of leaving it for the team mates. Sissoko leaves everything to everybody else. Shooting inside the box? No, pass it to Lamela, so Lamela gets the blame should the keeper save. Of course, with the goal threat of Sissoko a chance for Lamela to miss is better to certain miss by Sissoko. Sissoko would need a deflection to score a tap in.
Aurier can control a ball. Sissoko has the touch of a wall.
Aurier gets injured. Sissoko never is injured, which is how Sissoko gets matches.
Aurier has footballing talent. Sissoko has athlete talent.

Sissoko cost us a goal against spammers (1 - 1 draw) as he didn't close down the attacker, but since the shot was a stunner Sissoko doesn't get the blame. Aurier jumps in and causes penalty equals instant blame.

I am no huge fan of Aurier as he has much to prove, but this being his first season in PL he gets leeway

Last edited:
All the Fbs that have played under poch in England have looked great, until they go somewhere else or play for the national team.
Maybe it's the system we play and it will take time for serge to get up to speed with it.

All the Fbs that have played under poch in England have looked great, until they go somewhere else or play for the national team.
Maybe it's the system we play and it will take time for serge to get up to speed with it.
To be fair, getting sent off against West Ham, giving away the pen the other night and not being able to take a legal throw in have nothing to do with a Poch system!

Let’s hope he improves next season though.

To be fair, getting sent off against West Ham, giving away the pen the other night and not being able to take a legal throw in have nothing to do with a Poch system!

Let’s hope he improves next season though.

Other than the foul throw, it's nothing other players haven't done.
Maybe he's struggling to adapt, he seems really keen to make a good impression and grab the chance we are giving him, he needs to take a bit of time to settle get used to his role.

By the way, when I say that his signing is in the Sissoko bracket, what I mean is that he is a player that was bought to deliver in the here and now and hasn't really done that.

You've always got to give a signing from abroad that 12 months to get used to the pace of the game. Son bossed the German league, but showed nothing for us till his second season. Sissoko has no excuse because he'd played 4-5 years in the EPL.

Back