• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Film Thread ***

I think Black Panther has one of the best baddies in the MCU, and I also agree that the female characters were strong which was good to see

I think Black Panther has one of the best baddies in the MCU, and I also agree that the female characters were strong which was good to see

Honestly thought the bad guy was probably the weakest element of the film. And while his motivations were well made, I dont think the performance was all that either.

And, ultimately, its the same old Marvel thing of the bad guy being a reflection of the good guy.

Watching Black Panther, it occurred to me that this whole "movement" thing has really tinkled me off.

Not in that I dont think its worthy, rather that it tinkles me off it is even necessary.

There is no good reason for movies to not have a predominantly ethnic cast. Or female. And its fudging ridiculous its taken until now before these things are changing.

And I should say, while Black Panther is getting (justified) plaudits for having a 99% black cast, black director etc on a huge blockbuster movie - I was more taken with just how brilliantly it handled the female characters. All strong, independent, and "complete" characters. No trace of being in need of help at all, no trace of tokenism, no heavy handed treatment in their status.

It was simply "These are thoroughly capable people", gender was irrelevant, and I thought that was just fantastic. I thought it handled it better than Wonder Woman, and look at the fanfare that film enjoyed for similar reasons.

I think it is patently obvious that the answer is B.

She said the same, I don't agree, its an interesting view.

I read the winners list today and only three white men actually won awards, two for this years outstanding films and one for contributions to film. Other than that awards were won by the production not the person and within them productions there are numerous black actors and staff.

She said the same, I don't agree, its an interesting view.

I read the winners list today and only three white men actually won awards, two for this years outstanding films and one for contributions to film. Other than that awards were won by the production not the person and within them productions there are numerous black actors and staff.

Film is incredibly fickle, and lets be honest - winners arent always the best, there is a lot of politics and PR at play.

And, the nominations are predominantly white and/or male.

The whole industry has an extreme white bias, its been ingrained over a hundred years, and given how much society has moved on its amazing they havent kept up as well.

Im sure the whole LGBT community would have plenty to say along the same lines as the female and ethnic communities.

The fact is there is but a handful of female or ethnic directors in mainstream cinema says it all.

The whole industry has an extreme white bias, its been ingrained over a hundred years, and given how much society has moved on its amazing they havent kept up as well.

But you could argue that the fact there are more white actors is not because of a current racism in film but a product of past racism.

Do you think off your head there are a bunch of black actors that missed out on the Baftas this year for example because of racism or are you saying there is not enough black actors out there in roles therefore no nominations or awards?

The latter.

In terms of scale, white actors (and actresses) in mainstream film out number ethnic by a huge margin.

And needlessly so. Its just that studios think you need a white face fronting a film for it to be successful. And, to a lesser degree, a male one - specifically in anything even vaguely action oriented.

And the same goes for behind the camera.

Thats why Wonder Woman and Black Panther have been such a big deal.

An action film fronted by and directed by a woman. A blockbuster with 99% black cast and directed by a black man. Its utterly bizarre, but this is simply unheard of.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this, but I don't really carewhat sex, colour creed or religion the star is in a movie. Whether it's for reasons of the plot or not, i don't care.
Is alien any worse because it's a women, no.
I would watch alien on a loop for days rather than any of the lethal weapon movies or a seagal movie.
Is shawsank any worse for having a black actor play a part that in the book is a white character, no.

I like the marvel and dc movies and was really looking forward to the black panther one, even though I know nothing of the back story.
But I have to say that i'm being really put off it by the publicity surrounding it.
The 3 or 4 interviews and reviews all mention this theme of anti colonisation, fine, no problem with that, but they seem to want take it one step further by saying that this fictional land is what africa would be if it hadn't been colonised.
They are jumping on a band wagon imv.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this, but I don't really carewhat sex, colour creed or religion the star is in a movie. Whether it's for reasons of the plot or not, i don't care.

Absolutely - "people" dont care a jot, its an industry thing - and Im glad films like this are getting the £££ they are because thats what will make the industry sit up and realise.

And I credit Marvel and DC for putting their money where their mouth is.

The 3 or 4 interviews and reviews all mention this theme of anti colonisation, fine, no problem with that, but they seem to want take it one step further by saying that this fictional land is what africa would be if it hadn't been colonised.
They are jumping on a band wagon imv.

I totally get this. The wider narrative around the film can detract from the experience of the film itself.

Wonder Woman, I thought, was ok. Good first hour, falls apart in the final act - 7/10. The press though were falling over themselves to praise it to high heavens while campaigning on the back of the female message it held.

Black Panther is a better film for me, comfortably. And, funnily enough, the message I took from it was of strong women more than anything - I think it does a better job than WW in this respect.

Its worth watching, for sure.

Absolutely - "people" dont care a jot, its an industry thing - and Im glad films like this are getting the £££ they are because thats what will make the industry sit up and realise.

And I credit Marvel and DC for putting their money where their mouth is.

I totally get this. The wider narrative around the film can detract from the experience of the film itself.

Wonder Woman, I thought, was ok. Good first hour, falls apart in the final act - 7/10. The press though were falling over themselves to praise it to high heavens while campaigning on the back of the female message it held.

Black Panther is a better film for me, comfortably. And, funnily enough, the message I took from it was of strong women more than anything - I think it does a better job than WW in this respect.

Its worth watching, for sure.

I haven't seen wonder women yet, I don' go to the movies, I have my own set up home.
I was similar with WW, on one hand these films get slated as mindless action pics, put a women or ethnic cast it's a serious movie with a message.

Pretty good video below, the director talking through a scene.

Obviously a spoiler, of sorts, but it doesnt give anything away really

Glad Black Panther is getting the success it is, little amused people forget the original comic book adaptation with a strong black lead -> Blade.

Personally thought Black Panther was well produced, a little slow (seemed to be yet another set up/part 1 type movie), fight scenes didn't distinguish themselves, compared to more recent fare.

Back