• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT - Tottenham Hotspur v Juventus***

Just a thought.....Football is funny as if we were 2-0 up and it ended 2-2, I'd definitely feel different this morning.

Not sure if Juve are well practiced parking the bus in the league they play in BUT even if they do play deep and like to counter, I bet no-one is pressing like we do. They couldn't get out at times and we were controlling the tempo as we wished. Plus we created a lot more than we do against some of the prems park the bus experts.

They are obviously dangerous counter attackers, but I wonder if a more wily operator in Toby might control those situations better.

RB is a worry though as Costa is a speed merchant and although that's their only real pace I worry Serge (whose banned) or Tripps will struggle.

Them having to score might help us.
Tripps didn't struggle against Alexis or Mane, so not sure he will against Costa.

The Times chief football writer Henry Winter

Incredibly mature performance from Tottenham. Been watching English teams in Europe over the past few years, Chelsea a few years ago winning the Champions League and Manchester United before them. In recent years there's been a naivety in English performances in terms of giving the ball away, bad tactics, at times technically exposed.

Apart from that opening nine minutes it was fantastic in terms of showing strength of character, Dembele striding forward in midfield. Christian Eriksen's free-kick - I talked to journalists here in Italy and they say it's something Buffon does, the little step to the side. Maybe he knew that and capitalised.

Kane showed shades of Alan Shearer late in his career in terms of working over a defence with his mindset, getting Mehdi Benatia booked, a really intelligent performance. Fantastic night, great fight, great performance.

taken from bbc website, is that what lamela is whispering to eriksen?
From the same article:
Spurs are the first team to wipe out a two-goal deficit at the Juventus Stadium, now called the Allianz Stadium, since the Italian champions moved there in 2011.
That's one hell of a stat. It's been at least six years since a side playing Juventus at their gaff came back from two goals down.

The more I read, the more I think back to last night's match, the more I think there's a lot more to come from this side. Last night was like watching one of Fergie's United teams playing with that confidence, that swagger that they had. The belief that, even when 3-0 down at half time, they could bring it back. It's a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy -- now Poch has "remember Juve" in his bag of half time tricks, for example.

From the same article:

That's one hell of a stat. It's been at least six years since a side playing Juventus at their gaff came back from two goals down.

The more I read, the more I think back to last night's match, the more I think there's a lot more to come from this side. Last night was like watching one of Fergie's United teams playing with that confidence, that swagger that they had. The belief that, even when 3-0 down at half time, they could bring it back. It's a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy -- now Poch has "remember Juve" in his bag of half time tricks, for example.
I saw Eriksen say that he was planning to put the freekick to the other side of buffon, but changed his mind in the last second when he saw buffon take that step left. Smart move, Christian. I'm fully expecting a ketchup effect on his freekicks from now on. :D

From the same article:
Or when we meet them again he can always quip "lads, it's Juventus."

From the same article:

We are further to finished article than most people think. 2nd best side in the PL for 2 & half seasons now, slight hiccup with injuries & Wembley at start of this season, but right back to normal.

The CL progress, the results against huge teams, the increased focus on FA cup, decision to buy significant in January is all a maturing of the team/management/club.

I don't buy into the narrative that we have anything to prove (yet), but a CL SF, top 4 again in PL and maybe FA cup (semi & final will be "home games" for us) would be the delivery of the promise.

During the match, the commentator said something like:

Buffon said he would retire at the end of the season, unless Juve win the Champions League - he would stay on to play in the World Club Cup.

So it appears somebody, at some point in this CL season, is going to retire Buffon........... hmmmm

No - Lamela pressed like a dog.
Son came on and stood off, vaguely closing down but not engaging, not biting into challenges, just blocking lanes. Very different type of pressing.

Part of plan B had to be -> Juve is a team with a fair amount of older (oops .. experienced) players.

Press them, make them chase the possession, leverage harriers like Lamela, then have the option to hit them with Son & Lucas later in game. Luckily we didn't really need to change it in 2nd half, but the plan was there.

In Regards to Costa.

he is only on loan from Bayern. I did like the look of him. Any chance we could be in his scope for the summer. Would love to have him and Moura.

Did you lot see this vlog from We Are Tottenham TV? I didn't realise we had a Tottenham TV thing...

I see they "interviewed" that Gooner idiot Blud Fam Troopz last week... what a helmet. Typical Gooner just shouting down the Spur, talking 20 to the dozen, utter tripe :D

Did you lot see this vlog from We Are Tottenham TV? I didn't realise we had a Tottenham TV thing...

I see they "interviewed" that Gooner idiot Blud Fam Troopz last week... what a helmet. Typical Gooner just shouting down the Spur, talking 20 to the dozen, utter tripe :D

Unfortunately the rise of these kind of youtube programs is only going to get bigger. The Tottenham TV one is quite dull, I watched a few of the Arse TV ones with Robbie. And suprisingly nearly all the gooners came out of the game saying they could and should have got spanked. So nice to see no blinkers for that one.

But my favorite by far is the one done by Expressions. He does make me laugh with the way he describes the players.

Offal stuff.

1972 I think

Great to see him scoring from a direct free-kick again. Its been far too long. In his early days at Spurs one almost expected him to score from those. Rescuing us at Swansea away with two peaches and also rescuing us in the League Cup from a potentially embarrassing turn-around at ? Bolton, immediately spring to mind. Hopefully, he will now kick on and start scoring those again.

Strange isn't the word I would use. I can certainly see the logic in why he started even if I don't agree with the decision. Son has been undroppable in the last few months in my opinion.
I tend to disagree, Lamela isn't about finishing as Son is, he is about pressing, creating space and the killer pass more - and having listened to pundits and watching the game, our pressing in the Juve half was expertly done and they couldn't deal with it. So Son on the bench was more tactical, and also give him a rest in rotation perhaps as well, coming on late to exploit tired defenders and causing havoc moving forwards. I think Juve expected Son to start and maybe prepared for that, but not Lamela.

Let's see how we set up at Wembley, Juve have to come at us, we can pick them off which Son is much more accomplished at doing together with Kane, Eriksen and Alli.

Great to see him scoring from a direct free-kick again. Its been far too long. In his early days at Spurs one almost expected him to score from those. Rescuing us at Swansea away with two peaches and also rescuing us in the League Cup from a potentially embarrassing turn-around at ? Bolton, immediately spring to mind. Hopefully, he will now kick on and start scoring those again.

Cech saved a decent one against him a week ago, so he seems to be finding his range. Based on everyone's comments, he continuously bangs them in during practice.

Personally, I think he needs to take a little off it, often tries to be too perfect, just keep on target, make the keeper save it.

Our 2nd half displays since Utd at home have been absolutely phenomenal! It’s like a light comes on at half time and away we go!

I think that it has been a feature in our play for a while. I think that it is a tactic to use our pressing to tire opponents and then superior fitness to overrun them in the second half.

Back