• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread - Officially Second In A One Horse Race

Well they are a funny bunch.

What can you take from a bunch of fans that hound their own manager out and protest? They are a club in turmoil so what they say means fall to me.

That DT Nonce said "at least we win things" and i think to myself, so why do you want Wenger gone so much if all is rosey? He is a fudgein8 kn0b and needs taking out

DWA7qAhWsAEIGz4.jpg

The alpine skiing world cup finals take in place in nearby Åre one month from now.

Semi-final loss would do well .. drag them far into competition, distract them, then dump them on their ass with no way back in PL.

Will be interesting to see how they handle the extra round of games that the EL has, i think it is somethimg that in the past has disrupted our own seasons - so potential for them to slip even further behind

Will be interesting to see how they handle the extra round of games that the EL has, i think it is somethimg that in the past has disrupted our own seasons - so potential for them to slip even further behind

Its not only that, its the whole scenario.
- The games are rarely "local". Often they involve quite serious travelling. We've had games nearer China than the UK.
- The games are rarely at quality venues. We've played on virtual bogs, astro turf pitches, inside the arctic circle...
- The opposition often isnt that good. This can mess with a team in a few ways. Its hard to get "up" for match like that, which can effect momentum. Its also more likely youll come out of these games with injuries and knocks as the more limited players just arent as good in the tackle/timing/mentality.

It goes on....

I honestly think, just in the sense of preparing, travelling, playing etc - it is harder than the CL.

Ive long held the belief the EUROPA league is there basically to protect the CL cartel from teams like us. Its near bloody impossible to mount a serious challenge to the CL places while participating in it.

Its not only that, its the whole scenario.
- The games are rarely "local". Often they involve quite serious travelling. We've had games nearer China than the UK.
- The games are rarely at quality venues. We've played on virtual bogs, astro turf pitches, inside the arctic circle...
- The opposition often isnt that good. This can mess with a team in a few ways. Its hard to get "up" for match like that, which can effect momentum. Its also more likely youll come out of these games with injuries and knocks as the more limited players just arent as good in the tackle/timing/mentality.

It goes on....

I honestly think, just in the sense of preparing, travelling, playing etc - it is harder than the CL.

Ive long held the belief the EUROPA league is there basically to protect the CL cartel from teams like us. Its near bloody impossible to mount a serious challenge to the CL places while participating in it.

I agree. The other problem is that you are always playing catch up with Sunday fixtures and the atmosphere tends to be flatter for Sunday fixtures (but they'll be used to that).

Of course, theres the mental aspect of never getting ahead as well.

Honestly I think this is a massive test of Wenger. It sounds counter-intuitive but he has had it easy in the CL and top 4 all this time.

Arsenal and Emirates in £200m shirt sponsorship extension

Premier League football club Arsenal and airline Emirates have signed a five-year extension to their long-running shirt sponsorship deal.

The size of the deal is believed to be in excess of £200m ($280m).

The Emirates name will feature on the shirts and kit of all Arsenal teams until the end of the 2023-24 season.

It is the largest sponsor deal signed by the London club, and will see the Emirates shirt partnership, which began in 2006, run to at least 18 years.

That will surpass Arsenal's previous longest, 17-year, shirt deal with Japanese electronics firm JVC from 1981 to 1999.

Longest shirt deals of the Premier League's top five (lol this made me laugh)
Emirates Marketing Project - 12 years with Japanese electronics firm Brother, from 1987 to 1999. This longevity is set to be surpassed by City's current shirt deal with airline Etihad.
  • Manchester United - 18 years with Japanese electronics firm Sharp, from 1982 to 2000.
  • Liverpool - 18 years with Danish brewer Carlsberg, from 1992 to 2010.
  • Chelsea - 10 years with South Korean electronics firm Samsung, from 2005 to 2015.
  • Tottenham Hotspur - 13 years with German brewer Holsten, from 1983 to 1993 and again from 1999 to 2002.

"Our shirt partnership is the longest running in the Premier League and one of the longest relationships in world sport," said Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis.

He said that the new agreement would see "significantly increased investment" from Emirates, which would help the club in its quest for trophies.

As part of the extended deal, Arsenal will also fly on Emirates planes on pre-season tours.

Meanwhile, the airline will retain marketing rights to develop campaigns and initiatives featuring Arsenal around the world.

Arsenal's home will continue to be known as Emirates Stadium up to 2028, as part of an extension agreed in 2012.

Emirates first signed its sponsorship agreement with Arsenal in 2004, providing the airline with naming rights to the stadium until 2021 and a shirt sponsorship that began in the 2006-07 season.

The current deal is one of the longest in English football, but still has some way to go to match the 34-year partnership between Dutch club PSV Eindhoven and electronics firm Philips.

However, that partnership is unusual in that PSV football club started life as the company's works team.

Seems Emirates have low levels of ambition or they're keen to expand their eastern European brand awareness on Channel 5 or whatever the Europa is on these days.

I don't usually read Pseuds Corner in Private Eye, but a subsequent letter made me go back to check.

the entry :-
There was a single, slightly moody boo for Fàbregas the first time he touched the ball. But The Emirates doesn’t really do bear-pit hostility, a stadium that is not so much a cauldron of hate as a Le Creuset casserole dish of occasional introspection.​
the letter:-
Sir,
Don't read the Guardian, don't know Barney Ronay from a hole in the hedge, but when I read his comment on Arsenal in Psueds Corner I laughed louder than at anything else in the Eye. Don't get snippy and snobbish about what is obviously an intentional and well-crafted joke.
Are Arsenal really a well-crafted joke, or one allowed to become one by lack of ideas ?

I don't usually read Pseuds Corner in Private Eye, but a subsequent letter made me go back to check.

the entry :-
There was a single, slightly moody boo for Fàbregas the first time he touched the ball. But The Emirates doesn’t really do bear-pit hostility, a stadium that is not so much a cauldron of hate as a Le Creuset casserole dish of occasional introspection.​
the letter:-
Sir,
Don't read the Guardian, don't know Barney Ronay from a hole in the hedge, but when I read his comment on Arsenal in Psueds Corner I laughed louder than at anything else in the Eye. Don't get snippy and snobbish about what is obviously an intentional and well-crafted joke.
Are Arsenal really a well-crafted joke, or one allowed to become one by lack of ideas ?
Private Eye is a cracking read. Especially during the morning ablution.

Back