• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

This is a nothing story.
Poch never rushes players back from injury.
If you've read his book it also shows that he hates it when a big victory is marred by the media talking about an individual who didn't play (e.g. Walker towards the end of last season). His prickliness isn't about Toby, its about ensuring that the XI (and subs) who contributed on Saturday are rightly praised and lauded for their performance. Toby will be praised when he's fully match fit and returns.

My annoyance is more with Poch in that post match press conference. He could've avoided all of this media crap if he'd have simply told the journo something along the lines of:

"Toby is recovering well. He managed 90mins against Newport but a game like Arsenal or Juventus are v.different and have come too soon for him. We will continue to monitor him to regain full match fitness. With this kind of injury you must be careful not to rush players. We know how important he is but we can't risk him having another breakdown of this kind."
etc etc etc.

Then it's case closed and no one makes any more of it. So frustrating. Unless of course, this isn't the case and there are issues going on behind the scenes. Then i worry.

But why should Poch be manipulated by the press on what he should say? He is manager of the team and knows whats going on more than a hack.

The press can go f them selves

I'd make him the top earner or certainly close to it! If we're really going to lift our salary cap, even if just gradually, then making him the top earner today doesnt feel that big an ask for one of the main 4-5 players in the team/squad

On what basis? We have survived without him since November - and thrived. Beat some of the best clubs in the land and in Europe.

Would we have done likewise without Kane or Eriksen? THOSE should be the top earners with Lloris, Dele, Dembele and - of course - Vertongen in close succession. Speaking of which - why should he have a higher salary than Verts, who IMHO has been superior this season?

Like a

Like all pack animals they do it when they smell blood, as long as the fans back Poch and he doesn't start a public fight with Levy, they won't get a chance.

I think this is it, also as someone mentioned earlier his point was you wait till after a performance like that to ask a question like that.

What people are not getting is he played against Newport County at home, thats like a freebie it really is, Arsenal in the NLD and away to Juve is on another planet, if people don't understand that then they are watching the wrong sport

I think this is it, also as someone mentioned earlier his point was you wait till after a performance like that to ask a question like that.

What people are not getting is he played against Newport County at home, thats like a freebie it really is, Arsenal in the NLD and away to Juve is on another planet, if people don't understand that then they are watching the wrong sport
Didn’t you claim his new contract was done and would be announced soon?

Toby had a nice run out against Newport but it was not challenging and he looked like he was playing within himself, he needs more game time against better opponents before he's ready for big games, an other game at Rochdale and a league game will probably have him ready.

Didn’t you claim his new contract was done and would be announced soon?

Yeh as I said at time was told by an agent who I know, I saw him two weeks back and he said he said same thing, he believed deal was done.

Reports saying "relationships strained" - one just came out in Evening Standard and it contains no fact what so ever lots of "reported" and "Apparently"

There is also another thing. Bringing in Toby against Juve would mean switching to a back 3 as Sanchez's pace and height have been invaluable. Who do you leave out? Son, Dembele, Dier? When the team is clicking so successfully together?

There is also another thing. Bringing in Toby against Juve would mean switching to a back 3 as Sanchez's pace and height have been invaluable. Who do you leave out? Son, Dembele, Dier? When the team is clicking so successfully together?

Exactly and thats what Poch was saying, you could say in fairness that Sanchez and Verts have been every bit as good as Toby has been within reason, so what message does it send the team just tearing it up? Creating a hunger and understanding where no place is set in stone. Sets the men from the boys and I love it.

That does not sell papers though

On what basis? We have survived without him since November - and thrived. Beat some of the best clubs in the land and in Europe.

Would we have done likewise without Kane or Eriksen? THOSE should be the top earners with Lloris, Dele, Dembele and - of course - Vertongen in close succession. Speaking of which - why should he have a higher salary than Verts, who IMHO has been superior this season?
Must admit, up to this season I thought Toby was slightly ahead of Verts. But Vertonghen has been nothing short of sensational, he is such a cool and smooth operator - deals with everything with minimum of fuss. I dont even know if he's upped his level this season, or just stood out even more because of being the senior CB but we haven't particularly missed Toby because of him mainly. Of course, would still rather we have Toby here than not - but we arent anywhere near as vulnerable as I thought we would be without him....

Poch has a fully fit squad for the first time this season so a couple of first teamers were always going to miss out. It makes sense that Toby was one as he's played 90 mins in 3 months against a league 2 side. It would have been harsh to anyone in the starting line ups that put on such good performances against United and the moaning scousers and what would we gain from him being on the bench anyway? If there was an injury to Vertonghen or Sanchez then Dier drops in and Wanyama comes on. If we were chasing the game then he wouldn't be needed anyway. As many people have said n this thread, Poch never rushes players back.

As for his prickly response to questions in the post match interview, I don't blame him. We have just got 7/9 points against top 6 sides after the media have spent all season saying we need to do it against the big teams to be recognised as a top club. Then we do it and straight away he is being questioned about a player who didn't play instead of being praised. That reporter wasn't there to talk about football, he was there to create a bit of drama and fill gossip columns. I'm glad Pochettino made him look a mug to be honest.

I would think they will be getting parity pay wise from here on in.
I cannot think of any reason why not.
So the Toby rise will cost considerably more going forward?

On the basis of exactly what I said! Just because Alderweireld has been injured doesnt change my view that, as I said above, he's one of our most important 4-5 players along with people you mention: Kane, Eriksen, Vertonghen and possibly Dembele (only question is whether Dembele would get the same given his injuries).

Vertonghen has been superior this season, I agree, and back to the level of his performances in his first year at Spurs. However in the period when they've both been at the club, I'd say that TA has outperformed JV, not night and day better, but better

What a player deserves doesn't really come in to it anyway - it comes down to who negotiates the better deal. Vertonghen signed his contract before the money in the game went crazy(er) Alderweireld is negotiating from a stronger position and his people probably know what he can get elsewhere - so the balls in their court so to speak and id imagine it will be a case of him getting a deal putting him at the top of our earners list because of that.

My annoyance is more with Poch in that post match press conference. He could've avoided all of this media crap if he'd have simply told the journo something along the lines of:

"Toby is recovering well. He managed 90mins against Newport but a game like Arsenal or Juventus are v.different and have come too soon for him. We will continue to monitor him to regain full match fitness. With this kind of injury you must be careful not to rush players. We know how important he is but we can't risk him having another breakdown of this kind."
etc etc etc.

Then it's case closed and no one makes any more of it. So frustrating. Unless of course, this isn't the case and there are issues going on behind the scenes. Then i worry.
And why should Poch satisfy the whims of the journalists, may I ask? They are knob heads and want and try to destabilize the squad. End of.

What a player deserves doesn't really come in to it anyway - it comes down to who negotiates the better deal. Vertonghen signed his contract before the money in the game went crazy(er) Alderweireld is negotiating from a stronger position and his people probably know what he can get elsewhere - so the balls in their court so to speak and id imagine it will be a case of him getting a deal putting him at the top of our earners list because of that.
What a player deserves comes into it all the time we want to keep players happy and motivated.

Would be great if he was back and fully firing for this one.

No need to rush him back if he's not fully back or looking like a player that's off form in training. Our team is performing well enough and Alderweireld is important enough that bringing him back a bit slowly might be the best thing for him. Pochettino has a lot more information than us and I trust him to make a good decision.

Unless clear evidence to the contrary comes up I don't think this has anything to do with his contact situation. Seems a strange time for both parties to use matches in that negotiation at this time.

Back