• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

What did Poch say in the post match presser about Toby? I didn't catch that.

Can I ask you why you picked Toby Alderweireld over Davinson Sanchez?

Sorry? After the game I need to explain this? You think I need to explain why I picked one or another? Why? Sorry, I don't understand your question. Why I pick 11 players? Because I need to pick 11 players. I don't understand your question.

Where you worried that Toby couldn’t play three games in quick succession?

I picked a player that I believe are the best to play in every game, but, if I explain why I don’t play Alderweireld, I need to explain why for Danny Rose, Wanyama, Llorente, Michel Vorm, Harry Winks - I don’t understand your question.

We value your insight, you’re the expert, you just picked a team that beat Arsenal…

And it is not enough to see the starting XI?

We’re just interested in your reasoning?

The reason is that I believe the 11 players that played today were the best to win, we won, if we lose maybe I accept the question, because I was wrong in my selection. But after three points?

Was he fully fit for selection? It’s not a critical question

No, no I know. I don’t take like a criticism, it is your opinion. He played like different players against Newport, and the decision was be out of the squad. But that is, sorry, the club, Daniel Levy pay for [me] to make decision, not to make people happy.

https://www.football.london/tottenh...ochettino-lamela-Wheelchair-trippier-14274025

Can I ask you why you picked Toby Alderweireld over Davinson Sanchez?

Sorry? After the game I need to explain this? You think I need to explain why I picked one or another? Why? Sorry, I don't understand your question. Why I pick 11 players? Because I need to pick 11 players. I don't understand your question.

Where you worried that Toby couldn’t play three games in quick succession?

I picked a player that I believe are the best to play in every game, but, if I explain why I don’t play Alderweireld, I need to explain why for Danny Rose, Wanyama, Llorente, Michel Vorm, Harry Winks - I don’t understand your question.

We value your insight, you’re the expert, you just picked a team that beat Arsenal…

And it is not enough to see the starting XI?

We’re just interested in your reasoning?

The reason is that I believe the 11 players that played today were the best to win, we won, if we lose maybe I accept the question, because I was wrong in my selection. But after three points?

Was he fully fit for selection? It’s not a critical question

No, no I know. I don’t take like a criticism, it is your opinion. He played like different players against Newport, and the decision was be out of the squad. But that is, sorry, the club, Daniel Levy pay for [me] to make decision, not to make people happy.

https://www.football.london/tottenh...ochettino-lamela-Wheelchair-trippier-14274025

Thanks. Those are some odd comments, but might not mean a thing, of course.

Pochettino has proved in the past, with Danny Rose and Erik Lamela, that players must prove their fitness after long-term injuries before being assured of a place in his squad.

Alderweireld is unlikely to be happy at being left out of the traveling squad for the Juventus game and it remains to be seen whether or not the decision impacts on his contract talks.

So two things from that article :
1) there are clear precedents as to how returning players are re-integrated into the first team by Poch; and
2) they don’t really know how Toby is reacting, just that he quite possibly might feel a bit peeved.

Not yet time for panic stations imo.
If however we don’t see him feature against Rochdale then there might be reason to be concerned.

Thanks. Those are some odd comments, but might not mean a thing, of course.

Dont know if Poch has a history with that reporter.

Looks like Poch tells his press officer after the conference that he must not be allowed to ask questions again.

08:25 in:

Get that contract signed so you can play regularly again?

Probably just easing him back. But he hasn't signed a new contract, so there maybe some hesitancy in playing him...

Edit: listening to Poch, I think it is that players have to work their way back in. There are no favorites, and selection is based on merit that is all.

Last edited:
Pochettino has proved in the past, with Danny Rose and Erik Lamela, that players must prove their fitness after long-term injuries before being assured of a place in his squad.

Alderweireld is unlikely to be happy at being left out of the traveling squad for the Juventus game and it remains to be seen whether or not the decision impacts on his contract talks.

So two things from that article :
1) there are clear precedents as to how returning players are re-integrated into the first team by Poch; and
2) they don’t really know how Toby is reacting, just that he quite possibly might feel a bit peeved.

Not yet time for panic stations imo.
If however we don’t see him feature against Rochdale then there might be reason to be concerned.

Agreed. Poch could've dealt with it a bit better though, saying something along the lines of "the players that played did well, Toby has just returned from injury and needs some time, he'll get there, but the players that played did well" blah blah, instead of getting as aggressive as he did. I checked out the presser on Youtube just now, and Poch even asks the press boss guy to not allow the journo that asked the question back next time or something similar (right at the end of this):

Seems a bit over the top if there's not something boiling underneath there, but who knows. Hopefully it's nothing, and the press trying to make a meal out of something. :)

Dont know if Poch has a history with that reporter.

Looks like Poch tells his press officer after the conference that he must not be allowed to ask questions again.

08:25 in:

Oops, didn't see your post before I posted mine. Maybe the reporter is a gooner and Poch just hates his guts. I'd like to believe that, haha. :p

Seems a bit over the top if there's not something boiling underneath there, but who knows. Hopefully it's nothing, and the press trying to make a meal out of something. :)

Yep, really weird response from Poch, particularly given we just won the NLD so no reason for him to be grumpy. Hopefully its nothing as you say, and would usually put it just down to press comments, but his reaction is bizarre when he could have just batted it off as you say

What happens if you dont take him and Sanchez or Vertonghen go down ill on the morning of the match? WOuldnt you want TA there? Otherwise we'd start Dier and Sanchez (say) with no cover apart from Davies....against Juventus...

In an ideal world of course you'd take him but fact is he wasnt fit enough for the squad v Arsenal so if he's not available here either it doesnt really scream that there's anything amiss.

In an ideal world of course you'd take him but fact is he wasnt fit enough for the squad v Arsenal so if he's not available here either it doesnt really scream that there's anything amiss.

....until you then consider Poch's bonkers reaction as posted above. All looks a bit suspicious. Should play against Rochdale given he played in the Newport replay - alarm bells would be ringing loudly if he didnt play vs Palace in our next league game. Fingers crossed it blows over and he signs a new deal soon

I suppose if you're predisposed to think the worst then there's enough there to go on, but I'd personally need to see a bit more before alarm bells start ringing...

Its called supporting Spurs!! After decades of players leaving, manager problems, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory etc its difficult to get used to the new Spurs! As above, the Palace line-up will be the biggest indication for me given he'll have had another 2 weeks training and 1 FAC game under his belt by then

Hmm...does Poch say he played like a different player vs Newport? Maybe saying that Toby wasn’t taking it seriously enough? Would be odd and out of character if that were the case.

Or maybe it simply is about fitness, and Poch’s reaction was because he wants Sanchez to be seen as a top quality, first 11 pick and was defending him. And maybe because it’s in English Poch didn’t do that well enough.

Poch can do what we wants. He is the gaffer and the most important man at the club.

BUT get Toby to sign the flipping contract, blow smoke up his a** or whatever it takes... this guy is one of the best at what he does. And to my knowledge he's not a d*ck.

I can't see a deal being signed when he's injured.
After a muscle injury, and a hamstring at That, i wouldn't rush him back and certainly not to play on that pitch at Rochdale.
Rose and lamela both returned befors Toby and haven't been fully integrated back in, so I see nothing suspicious here.

Some of it is discussed and dissected in the Sunday supplement show here:
My GHod they’re a bunch of self important pompous pricks aren’t they?

Did anyone really expect Toby to start that game after only playing 1 match in 3 months?

Also, I’m prob Dembele’s biggest fan but on what planet could he be considered the most underrated player of the season so far?! She lost all credibility inside the first 30 seconds.

My GHod they’re a bunch of self important pompous pricks aren’t they?

Did anyone really expect Toby to start that game after only playing 1 match in 3 months?

Also, I’m prob Dembele’s biggest fan but on what planet could he be considered the most underrated player of the season so far?! She lost all credibility inside the first 30 seconds.

Agree on all counts. Some of those journos such inflated egos.

Starting Toby would have been a big gamble, Poch isn't always the most adventurous tactically but the North London derby is not the time and the place to make wholesale changes or dropping one of two in form CB's in favour of a CB who has been injured for 3 months.

Dembele was one of our best players yesterday but he's not had his best season by a long shot.

Back