• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Technology And Refereeing

Right fair enough, thought this was another minute plus decision making excercise again.

I’m not against VAR at all as long as it’s used correctly and transparently, but in England it’s a bit of a joke currently.

No one is surprised by that!

It took from the time the ball went in to the restart. And the ref felt he had a valid reason to check for something. It was a blatant foul but he missed because it. Will see if I can find the video

No one is surprised by that!

It took from the time the ball went in to the restart. And the ref felt he had a valid reason to check for something. It was a blatant foul but he missed because it. Will see if I can find the video

...and ironically, we now all have to wait while you come up with the footage.

As most sane people have said... VAR is an improvement, as long as they make a call within 60 seconds, like rugby.

I agree it is a real shame that fans can't fully celebrate until they check the ref is happy... but I am already in that position because so many times I've thought a goal was good and then found it was offside, so I naturally delay 10 seconds anyway!

As most sane people have said... VAR is an improvement, as long as they make a call within 60 seconds, like rugby.

I agree it is a real shame that fans can't fully celebrate until they check the ref is happy... but I am already in that position because so many times I've thought a goal was good and then found it was offside, so I naturally delay 10 seconds anyway!
Spot on. It's a bit like watching cricket on tele nowadays. You see a wicket go down, start jumping up and down, then stop crestfallen when you realise they're merely showing a replay of an earlier wicket for the umpteenth time.

Grrrrr!!!

I think people need to give it some time for all the problems to be sorted out. Technology has helped in a lot of sports, problem is the fans reaction to the time it's taking, plus rugby, cricket and tennis followers have a far greater respect for the officials and see the technology as an aid to getting things right, most football fans don't give a toss about right or wrong just their team getting the decision.

That’s VAR working but the video doesn’t show how long it took to the t the decision

My issue with it so far is how long it takes to make a call

It needs to be simplified
Yes it does. Look at the time on the clock.
Appx 3.5 mins from the ball hitting the net.
Now that is the ref reviewing a decision where there is a natural time lapse (IE celebration etc). And he had to ref the celebration too before he could check the video - might be a role for the asst ref there to take more control. So equivalent to rugby.

The issue comes when the ref wants help confirming something like a penalty. But it's much better to allow the ref a short stoppage to check than to have such a big mistake (and it usually takes a couple of minutes to set up a penalty anyway after the fouled stops rolling around and the defenders stop whining).

Yes it does. Look at the time on the clock.
Appx 3.5 mins from the ball hitting the net.
Now that is the ref reviewing a decision where there is a natural time lapse (IE celebration etc). And he had to ref the celebration too before he could check the video - might be a role for the asst ref there to take more control. So equivalent to rugby.

The issue comes when the ref wants help confirming something like a penalty. But it's much better to allow the ref a short stoppage to check than to have such a big mistake (and it usually takes a couple of minutes to set up a penalty anyway after the fouled stops rolling around and the defenders stop whining).

3.5 minutes to chalk off a goal is ridiculous

We have games where there have been 3 goals scored in that time

3.5 minutes to chalk off a goal is ridiculous

We have games where there have been 3 goals scored in that time
Start a stop watch.
See what you can actually do in 3.5 minutes.

Next time there is a penalty, time how long it takes for the whistle to blow and the players to be ready to take it.

Re; the Bundesliga game. There was no waiting around for ref. The ref reviewed the decision whilst the players were celebrating.

Start a stop watch.
See what you can actually do in 3.5 minutes.

Next time there is a penalty, time how long it takes for the whistle to blow and the players to be ready to take it.

Re; the Bundesliga game. There was no waiting around for ref. The ref reviewed the decision whilst the players were celebrating.

Takes around a minute for a penalty to be taken

3.5 minutes is too long

You have 3 incidents in a game and that’s 10 minutes

They will then bring in ad breaks for tv to fill the gap at this rate

I’d rather a game take 6 hours than be decided by a referee mistake.

I can handle mistakes

All I want is consistency

A ref making a mistake IMO is not worse than a player missing a penalty ... it’s human error

What really gets my back up is double standards and inconsistency

If your gonna call desicions stick with that MO

Back